Official Maryland Thread

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by RugerRedbone, Aug 23, 2015.

1. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since we aren't doing the battle of the states contest this year I figured this is the best place for a Maryland thread. Last year I think we all enjoyed having our own thread and there was a lot of participation. Season is coming quick 9/11 this year. Anyone else going to be out that Friday morning sweating and swatting skeeters?

2. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm waiting for the afternoon sit. Hoping to score a doe.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

3. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, I've been successful on opening morning sits for a few years in a row now. Last year was a mad race to get get her dressed out and cooling off in the fridge. Hot and humid, thankfully my kids were homeschooled last year and were there to help. This year I will be on my own.

4. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Ya exactly there's such a rush early season to get em iced down. I usually shoot a doe then lay low until middle October. The area I hunt is more of a travel corridor so I don't really like to stir it all up and push the few nocturnal mature bucks I get on cam off the area.

5. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    I usually leave the better half of one farm alone until late October and just have fun filling the freezer with does from the other half. This year time will be tight early on so it may just be Saturday hunts until Sunday's open up here in October.

6. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha. I picked up a nice deep freezer with some of my tax return this spring after moving out of my parents house that had 2 of them.

7. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Figured you guys would like this ... This cam has been soaking a year plus batteries died in April, but I got this guy on cam just before it died [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I also had a bunch of turkeys, deer, etc. for whatever reason I had an alarming amount of predators including the biggest damn red fox I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. I got a coyote on cam in Montgomery county. First time seeing one but we had a few chewed up fawns this spring.

9. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be following this thread. I don't hunt MD but love the Eastern shore area and between Potomac and bay (not sure if theres a name for that). Hunted it with an outfitter once but was very dissatisfied with him. Will try the other then I can, hopefully next year. Would love a lease out there and am always looking, but the price tag is nuts!

Any sika deer hunters on here? That's another hunt I have planned for asap, just don't seem to trust most of the outfitters I have talked to there. Got weird vibes from them, might just be how people are in the area lol.

10. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg
    this one was killed in Harford co last November

11. Gutpile323

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice! If this one comes by me he's definitely getting it.

12. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    check out the Blackwater for sika. Plenty of public land, I haven't done it yet but it's on my list.

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I think it would be real tough for someone like me to go down alone and have any success. Doubt I would get a chance to scout and even if I did I wouldn't know what to look for haha. It doesn't hurt to try sometime though if I cant make up my mind on an outfitter.

14. RugerRedbone

Dislikes Received:
    Same reason I've yet to do it. I'd like to go with someone who knows the area and the deer. I've been told those swamps can be hard to navigate.

15. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    This is like the 3rd yote I've got on this cam in Manchester in 5 years deff the biggest I've seen. I'd say it's pushing 45 lbs

16. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah and I have no swamp experience at all. Would not know the first thing to expect. Don't know if I would need a canoe or a boat or just waders, what to look for (I assume they bed in dry islands, but don't want to kick them out of beds), what do they eat, etc. Would be to much for me to handle alone haha. And I feel like between the effort and time, along with gas and hotels, it would be more worth it to find an outfitter. But if someone has experience and willing to take a guy or 2, let us know!!!

17. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    I've put in about a weeks worth of work chasing sika in blackwater. At most you will need hipboots. Your gonna wanna buy about triple the thermacell cartridges you typically use. I'm no expert but they bed down in the pharg and you wanna pretty much get as close as you can to the edge of it or better yet right in it if you can. If you go down for a week at one full day should be devoted to scouting. For morning hunts you will need a GPS an an exact route mapped out or you will get lost it all looks the same. It's weird an a different kind of hunting, but seeing them hop in and bugle is pretty awesome! Their is sign everywhere I just assumed most of it was made at night but their is a good bit of sika in blackwater.

18. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah thank you! Its very high on my bucket list, and due to location and cost, its probably number 1 or 2. I need to stop dreaming and start doing some of these things.

19. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's definitely not something you want to do on your own. Blackwater Refuge is some of the nastiest ground you can ever find to hunt. At the very least I'd go with a guide the first few times. I'd never hunt there alone though.

As far as opening day I'll be out in the afternoon. Just not sure if I'll be in Carroll, Frederick or Easton.

20. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't happen to know a guide you can recommend do you?