Vacuum sealers - food saver?

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by longbowmanjimmy, May 20, 2014.

1. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used a vacuum sealer, we process everything we shoot/ catch and after I found alot of our fish freezer burned I figured it was time to buy one. What do you guys recommend? I've heard good things about the food saver line.

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i use food saver. they've worked fine. i dunno what to compare them to, but nothing has spoiled or gotten freezer burn.

3. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a food saver and love it. A friend has an old food saver he picked up at a garage sale for a few bucks and works just as good. Keep your eyes peeled and you may find a good deal.

4. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks for the tips thats the route I'll go then

5. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We got one a few years ago too and definitely love it. Besides maybe a few seals that weren't perfect, and probably my bad, works great. One thing I learned was get the big rolls of bags and not the pre made ones. Hell of a lot cheaper. Menards had a sale $20 for a box of rolls that could probably last 5 deer. Takes a few min to cut and seal your own bags. They're the ziplock brand ones but work just the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Michigan Man

Michigan Man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love having my food saver never had issues with it. I have to second the idea of buying the rolls its much cheaper the buying all those premade bags

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

7. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the rolls are a life saver. I like the fact that I can determine how much I'm putting in a bag, I can throw two steaks in a small bag and freeze it and it's perfect for a night when its just me and the wife and we need a delicious venison meal!

8. PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em

PiN 'eM & STiCK 'Em Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i love my food saver. I use it for all my game meat and even when i buy my chicken breasts in bulk. saved me from losing meat before i could get to it

9. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found that if you have to much excess liquid that it can mess up a seal. So we put out some paper towels and let the meat dry for a few minutes before bagging it. But other then that it worked great and I too would recommend buying the rolls.

10. tallboy1985

tallboy1985 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Food saver is the way to go!

11. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    got one and love it... no ruined meat or fish... blood/juices from fish or game will mess up the seal tho... found a great fix.. spread my fish or burger portions (one pound lumps) on a cookie sheet and stick em in the freezer for an hour or so, then put em in the bags and vacuum seal them... never a problem with seals not holding after that

12. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good tip. I've also been thinking about getting a Food Saver

13. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought on at cabelas last year after season on sale.

14. Davis

Davis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The paper towel trick at the top of the bag works great, I do it all the time with moist foods.
    Foodsaver now has bags out there with an absorbent pad at the top where you seal it, sadly it's the pre-cut bags.

15. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah give it a quick freeze before hand and double your seals and it works pretty good. I also save some of the scraps from the rolls and cut strips of the ribbed section . As long as its touching the item your sealing and the vacuum you can use the cheaper bags.

16. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Foodsavers are great. Don't get a cheap one or a cheap off brand model. We have used one that was a cheap model and it did not suck the air out well enough and we did get freezer burn. That said with a good one we rarely get any problems like that unless you start getting well over a year in the freezer and that's minimal.

17. StuartHunts

StuartHunts Newb

Dislikes Received:
    oh wow! This is right up my alley!! I found myself in the same situation a little while ago when I wanted to store my veggies from my garden and game that I was hunting. I also had a lot of stuff get freezer burned and wound up tossing. I was pissed! all that hard work.

So I started looking into buying a vacuum sealer. Like all of you I didn't know what to get, and there are a lot of options out there. I wound up spending a little more than a month finding out about all of the models and features out there. I aggregated all of the stuff I learned into a buyer's guide. Check it out.

I also started a Vacuum Bag & Roll Discount Club. You just sign up through email and I send out sale alerts when vacuum sealing media is a great buy and where to get it.

If anyone has any questions about vacuum sealing let me know, I am happy to help!

18. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a food saver and it is excellent

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  19. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a foodsaver all the time, in fact the deer I shot last december I didn't have time to completely process it myself to I boned it and cut meat into large chunks, put in bags and vacuum sealed them, threw them in freezer until I would have time.

For straps I cut them down into "servings" or however much I normally eat at a time, and froze them in sealed bags

20. deans

deans Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think this one is a good idea.