Hardwood Plot Field

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by WiscoBuck920, Jan 26, 2016.

1. WiscoBuck920

WiscoBuck920 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone. Looking for some help with planting my first plot field. I just leased my first 40. The property is filled with oaks and other hardwoods. There are a couple logging trails going through the property and a couple other small openings. Other than that the property is very dense with underbrush. My question is what do you suggest I plant and what are the steps I need to take? I have attached a couple pictures of the property. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can't go wrong with a clover mix.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cant go wrong with a soil test as first step.

I suggest clover and rye

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lime and fertilize. Even if you don't plant anything, bring the soil to proper levels will even make the native growth more tasty for the deer.

Some type of clover mix is a good bet, depending on how thick the canopy gets, you will probably want to do a little selective thinning to the south of where you want the plot to allow better sunlight. Just try not to take the Oaks.

5. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When you say Rye....there is all kind of Rye...Winter Rye, Rye Grass, Rye Grain, Annual Rye....Which One??
    Thanks

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use cereal rye (Winter rye), rye grasses will work but I don't think they have the same nutrition value as cereal rye

7. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I put out behind my house in a little Micro Plot....Winter Wheat, Oats, Winter Rye...with a splash of clover...they in it about every night....
    Thanks Brother
    Creeks

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With hardly any sunlight that will reach the ground (from the way it looks anyhow), like mentioned above, clover and winter rye would probably be the best bet in my opinion.

9. WiscoBuck920

WiscoBuck920 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What do I want the soils pH to be?

10. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Close to neutral as you can.

11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Talk with your local seed supply and ask them if they will do a soil sample and what they recommend.

12. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see you are from Wisconsin as so am I, clover and winter rye are great choices as they grow easy. I would first check your ph and get it between 6 and 7. Add pelletized lime to get ph up to this number. Next about mid summer, I would hit area you want for a plot with roundup to kill the grasses. You can use a backpack sprayer and get roundup with 41 percent gly in it. A few weeks later go back and hit it again with roundup to make sure everything is good and dead. Leave the dead thatch there for planting. In August you can go in and spread fertilizer and seeds into the dead thatch. If you have an atv you can driver over it with you tire tracks. Key to this method is try and spread fertilizer and seeds right before a rain. Your winter rye will grow quick and act as a cover crop for your clover for the next spring. Deer will hit the winter rye in the fall for hunting and it the spring the rye and clover will get a jump start on the weeks and you will have a great stand of clover then for the next year. This is what worked great for me and you really don't need to disk with clover and winter rye.

13. WiscoBuck920

WiscoBuck920 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Appreciate that.

14. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You'll definitely want to check pH. With all the oaks the soil will tend to be acidic.

15. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you want a really nice food plot, The absolute most important thing is to identify what your soil condition is first. Everything else is moot if you dont know your starting soil condition. Not just ph, but do a test that shows organic matter levels, CEC#, & the levels of essential nutrients already present in the soil. (Can be done for about $10) No plant is ideally suited to grow in every soil type, especially in a shaded timber setting. Also think about how much ground preparation you are able to do, as this will also affect what you can grow well. After you know what you have to work with, then decide what to plant

16. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not all clovers tolerate shade.
    Many inside wood's areas are low in pH so a soil test is much needed
    I use a product called inner sanctum that is pretty much full proof and for logging roads i use a mix that contains some clovers and a forage that i have used for 20 plus years that no 1 in the wildlife industry uses because most either don't know about it or it doesn't fit their profit margin's in their mix. MEADOW FESCUE

Meadow fescue is the staple in many grazing diets. It was found on land by people in my circle of trust. It supposedly can last for over 100 years as it is native to my area. It isn't like typical fescue's that deer wont eat well. The genetics is more like the palatable high sugar perennial ryegrasses. I use it because its shade tolerant and long lasting as well as handles lower ph ranges. I push nutrition verses cheap ground cover so it's why i recommend it.

17. bjbleuer

bjbleuer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There are a variety of options you can use, and I emphasize on the term "variety." I suggest having multiple food plots with varying species. I would also suggest planting native grasses and forbs that will provide bedding cover and forage. A soil test is a must before doing any planting! Feel free to shoot me an email if you would like some more detailed advice and help. By the way I am a professional wildlife manager. [email protected] www.bjbleuer.wix.com/bleuswildlife