Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Truly successful food plots need 3 things...and just 2 or 1 of them will never be truly successful:

#1 - Good quality seed. Can be had from many places.
    #2 - Effort by the plotter. Sweat, money, time, fertilizer, soil amended appropriately....
    #3 - Mother Nature cooperates
    Likes Rangerdan liked this post

HONOVI HUNTERS - 2014 BH.COM DEER CONTEST CHAMPIONS!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can say this irrigating food plots makes a huge difference, that is in the years rain does not cooperate.
    Pope And Young do not consider does as deer or crossbows as archery equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to the soil sampling & testing, I will say this;
    Deer are creatures of habit. A once-off food plot will not bring deer streaming onto your property. Food has never been there before, now there is food? It may take several years of blood, sweat and tears before they recognize your plot as a reliable food source (emphasis on reliable) which they can reply on. We all would love the quick fix solution here, but the fact of the matter remains that there isn't any.
    I look at "hunters" such as Bill Winke and the Drury's. I think of them more like farmers than hunters sometimes. I see their lush green plots and high quality yields. That takes hard work and year-round dedication. Anyone who has farmed with greens before will know the challenges they face with unpredictable weather patterns; droughts, floods, fires etc. I take my hat off to the guys that are being persistent in their conquest of excellence. Taking a Booner in addition to all that...respect.
    Likes copperhead liked this post

PRIME RIVAL
    G5 CMAX Drop-Away rest
    Tight Spot 5-Arrow Quiver
    HHA Optimizer-lite Ultra Single Pin
    Apex Carbon Core Stabilizer
    Easton Axis 300's
    Nockturnal Lighted Nocks
    Rage Hypodermic 100g

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, another thought to piggyback on yours. I know a few people that have planted all turnips, or rape or radishes thinking it will be a magnet late fall. If I were to do that I would do it in strips with clover or alfalfa mixed in. The deer will come for the clover and will be somewhat conditioned to feed in the area, once the frost hits the other stuff will be hit more.
    Likes copperhead, Rangerdan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Siman/OH View Post
    Same boat. I have the equipment and the crops grow well most of the time.

The deer just prefer the neighbors corn piles. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Can't beat a corn pile. Just the way the world works.
    2013 Mathews ZXT
    trophy taker Xtreme
    lighted primal x5
    k tech infinity stabilizer
    Mathews gridlock t3 quiver
    Victory Vforce V1
    Rage Hypodermic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DVO View Post
    Can't beat a corn pile. Just the way the world works.
    You really cant.

Post Thanks / Like
    You really cant.

I feed when I am not hunting, when I take the fence off the alfalfa clover plot I have more deer on the plot then I do around the feeder.
    Likes foodplot19 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So you knew the answer to the question all along

In all seriousness, it really comes down to competition with regard to what you're asking. With how much variety exists in a deers' diet, I find it hard to believe you can't plant anything they would come to. They don't just eat piles of corn all day long.

Habitat wise, these neighbors who bait, what else does their property have that yours might be lacking? Cover, water? Topographical features? Pressure?

You really cant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MGH_PA View Post
    So you knew the answer to the question all along

In all seriousness, it really comes down to competition with regard to what you're asking. With how much variety exists in a deers' diet, I find it hard to believe you can't plant anything they would come to. They don't just eat piles of corn all day long.

Habitat wise, these neighbors who bait, what else does their property have that yours might be lacking? Cover, water? Topographical features? Pressure?
    My property is far and away the best, and biggest. The neighbors who hunt have tiny lots compared to mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Then you're an anomaly

So they haven't done any habitat work at all? It's just tiny lots with little habitat but piles of corn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Piles of corn are not crack the deer are not powerless to resist, are they gun hunters who do not pressure their land while you are "sneaking" in while bow hunting?
    Likes Westfinger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MGH_PA View Post
    Then you're an anomaly

So they haven't done any habitat work at all? It's just tiny lots with little habitat but piles of corn?
    Its alot to explain. We have 110 acres sourrounded by 13 other properties and a campground.

Most are 5-9 acre lots that have been logged with corn piles. Theres a horse farm on one side of me (logged) with pastures and then 2 of my neighbors are hunters with food plots.

The deer have access to 7-8 seperate feeders/bait stations within a square mile. Its alot of cat and mouse as to which feeder they are bedded near.

Post Thanks / Like
    Corn isn't crack but its effective on big bucks. In my mind baiting is no different then food plots. They are put in a specific place to attract and hold deer. You can just move a bait pile closer to the deer if need be. That's about the only difference.
    2013 Mathews ZXT
    trophy taker Xtreme
    lighted primal x5
    k tech infinity stabilizer
    Mathews gridlock t3 quiver
    Victory Vforce V1
    Rage Hypodermic

Post Thanks / Like
    If acorns are in the woods corn will get hit sparingly that I can almost promise.

2017 Mathews Halon 32 6
    HHA King Pin XL 5519
    Mathews Quiver
    Limbdriver Pro V
    B-Stinger
    Goldtip Kinetic Kaos 340
    http://primalobsession.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3