Under Armour vs Scent-Lok

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by ANM21, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ANM21

ANM21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any guys/gals wear either? I'm not worried about the whole scent thing, I'm just looking for some good quality hunting clothing. I hunt southern Illinois and it gets pretty chilly in the treestand. Do any of you have an pros/cons for either? Any responses are much appreciated! Thanks!

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Putting scent reasons aside, I feel Under Armour is overpriced, but in the same breath I would say that if money isn't a problem it's the best you can buy :D

Me, I'm a Natural Gear guy, and believe that with the proper layers any one can be warm all season long. However, UA has a knack of making some pretty incredible cold gear stuff.

3. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just as I was taught in the military, I use the layer system to keep warm. I do prefer the cheaper wal-mart Starter clothing to under-armor. Its made of the same material and costs waaay less. I usually put a top and bottom under layer on and then wear a fleece camo jacket of pull over and camo pants.

4. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my scent lok full season, definitely a favorite of mine. It definitely helps keep the warmth in with good layering. I love under armour, but they are just so expensive. i agree with him though, if you have the coin, I would love me a full Under Armour hunting gear outfit!

5. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a brand called silvertech thats cheaper and has scent eliminating characteristics

6. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually just bought both brands the other day. I found the Scent-Lok full season pants for
    $40 (gotta love clearance racks) at Gander Mountain and picked up one of the Under Armour hoodies in matching realtree ap. Tried both on and took a few shoots and both seems very comfortable and quiet. If I had more coin I would go with all the UA stuff.

7. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a few different brands of outers and have to say that the under armour has by far been my favorite. It is expensive and harder to find on sale. I have pretty much been changing out piece by piece as it gets real worn or I find a deal on it.
    It is all about layering and I've found the warmest vs. lightest can be found in the under armour.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If you're looking at it from a scent-control persepctive, I believe Scent-Lok is the better option. UA uses Zeolite technology, which does work, but Scent-Lok uses two kinds of carbon plus zeolite. Essentially, they are covering more of the bases for scent control than UA is.

As for the fit or quality of the garments, I can't really say. It's been about 4 or 5 years since I used Scent-Lok, but in my experience the clothing was very nice at that time. I work the Full Season suit for two years and really liked it. From what I've seen at the trade shows this year, their stuff has only gotten better.

Now those that wear UA will swear by it, and you can certainly see why. It feels great, fits well, and looks "cool". Although I'm not sure that the deer care how cool you look when you're killing them, looking cool certain boosts confidence which sometimes is a difference-maker.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either one, provided you purchase the right garments for your hunting conditions.

9. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like my scent lok full season, nice and warm during november but just wear a t-shirt in september

10. ANM21

ANM21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

11. MathewsArchery10

MathewsArchery10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't layer!!

Look man, all these guys talking about the layer system are not real experienced hunters. You go ahead and wear 4 layers into the woods and see how much you sweat. Not only is it uncomfortable but it's not practical. In the south especially where is can be 29 degrees in the morning and get to 45 before your out of the stand you will be wayyy too hot! Walking to your stand, climbing a climber are just a few things that will cause you to sweat. Which means no mature buck in the area will come within 100 yards of your stand. Here is what I wear. Under Armour Cold Gear leggings, Under Armour Ayton Bib, Under amour long sleeve Cold gear compression or Cold gear loose, and a Scent Lok Fear no evil Jacket. Total of 2 "layers"! I can wear this is 15 degree to 50 degrees. I carry my jacket in my Backpack to the stand and when I'm all settled in a put it on when I get a chill and take it off when I get too warm. It's easy and takes 10 seconds. Now as far as Jacket... You cannot go wrong with under armour or scent lok. UA uses a lot of tech to get the thinnest lightest material with maximum warmth. "It's not the same as Wal-Mart!" Yes material is the same... The technology is not. Go put on 5 layers of cotton or fleece in the woods and see how think that is compared to UA gear. Also if you go with layers have fun taking off three shirts when your gettin too hott. Hope this helps

12. Aubie923

Aubie923 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own Scent-Lok, Scent Blocker and UA. I use Scent-Lok and Scent Blocker in warm to mildly cold temperatures. When it gets cold and the wind starts cutting through your clothing, UA really shines. I bought the UA ColdGear Infrared Scent Control Rut Gear jacket and pants this year. I also use UA level 3 base layers with Infrared when it gets really cold.

13. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got all my UA Gear at a discount price and I have no complaints. I have the ridge reaper fall clothing for bow and it is plenty warm enough with a single base layer for most days in October here in MI. The only UA Gear I have tried on and didn't like are there boots. Seemed very constrictive and the souls weren't very comfortable to walk in. I must say if I didnt find all my gear at a cheap price (Marshalls) I probably wouldn't have bought them at $160 a piece for coat and pants. UA=You pay for what you want.

My hunting buddy has scentlok, he also waited to find a deal before he bought.

14. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not real experienced hunters? Justin, you care to chime in on this? Sorry but the layering system is the way to go. There is a reason why people swear by it. Not everyone hunts in the south. 1st post is to come in here and judge others experience levels because you think your gear and way is so much better than everyone elses? Please exit the forum and head back over to archery talk where that mindset is expected

15. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Come hunt up in the U.P. and see how well no layers work. Temps can rise and drop 30° to 40° in a single day and the only way to be ready for both is layers.

Archerytalk fan?

16. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now thats how you get to the point on your first post!

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well this is ridiculous....not a single other way to put it....you are against layering yet you wear a bottom layer with outer layer in your description....

You said you are from the south...try hunting where the high is single digits without a 3rd layer between your baselayer and outer layer....but what do I know I'm "inexperienced".

18. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you joking?! Wow this a terrible post for someone looking for information. Yes because that's what you do in the south must make it work everywhere, especially Illinois where the guy said he was from! I'd love to see you walk to my stands in December in your under armour cold gear top....

Not to mention the OP wasn't even about layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'll update for OP's and others sakes since this post was from 2012. I've since actually transferred over to Scent Lok attire....would love to use UA because I like their fit slightly better but they don't offer Vertigo camo so I'm sticking with Scent Lok.

20. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, he brought up a two year old post to bash people about layers? :winner winner:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk