Looking for a X-bow

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Farmer Brown, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now I know you all are going to give me crap for this. I do not shoot a crossbow. My fathers birthday is coming up and I haven't been able to hunt with him other than gun opener for the last 10 years. I want him to bow hunt but he won't be able to unless he has a crossbow. He also cannot afford one so I am wanting to get him one for his birthday.
    I know TenPoint is usually best of the best but is there a good "beginner" brand or something less than blowing a grand on a crossbow?

Just want to spend more time in the woods with my dad.

Thanks for any help.

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My old man is the in the same type of situation. He just got himself a Barnett Compound. Cost him less than $300 new on eBay.

I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet but it looks well built and feels solid.

3. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone shoot a Barnett or an SA sport?

4. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    don't know if this will help, but I just got an e-mail that said Gander has some crossbows on sale. up to 60% off

5. handgunner2000

handgunner2000 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    north west wisconsin indian head country!
    my wife bought a wicked ridge warrior crossbow from Dunham's in rice lake, WI for 300. I do believe tepoint makes them, awesome starter crossbow. came with the accu draw 51 works great for her

6. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had great luck with Stryker. I have the StrykeForce (392 FPS) and bought a Katana (385 FPS) this year because the are much lighter.

7. Zardoz80

Zardoz80 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a SA Sports Empire Dragon and no issues. Had hurt my shoulder, and was on a tight budget. Very powerful and accurate but 1 warning. Go ahead and get limb dampeners, and string dampeners. This XBow only has 1 major complaint and that is exploding limb pockets.
    It's just a ton of vibration without any dampening going into those pockets. I've had mine a year with no issue other than adjusting the tiller. That said for what I spent if I was to do again I would just find a used Excaliber recurves are just much simpler to deal with. They can be found as low as $400 used but they won't be 400fps.

8. TD Bauer

TD Bauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Barnett Jackal is a very good entry level crossbow. I started with one a couple years ago when switching over to using a crossbow. Good price, and excellent quality for what you are buying. Do a search for them on Amazon and check out the customer reviews.

9. Panacea Nike

Panacea Nike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got my daughter a Barnett Raptor last year for Christmas. This was the first crossbow and the only crossbow I have ever shot. With my very limited experience with a crossbow I found it was easy to site in and shoots great in my opinion. The stock is adjustable and it is easy to load. It is loud but that may be the case with all crossbows, I am not sure. Although it is loud it is also fast so unless it is a long shot the noise should not be an issue. It is a entry level crossbow that will not break the bank. I am sure there are much better choices in crossbows but for the price the Barnett has performed good for my daughter. She got her first deer with a crossbow this season with it.

10. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a PSE Fang last year and have had no issues with it. I did add an HHA dial a distance scope mount and the Redhead scope I took off of my muzzleloader. It seams to be a great combo for what I have invested.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pops just grabbed a new KI360 (Killer Instinct). Thing was highly recommended by my bow shop buddy (not because they carry them because they don't...but can order...he'd seen em and couldn't believe the deal).

Thing is built like a tank it seems, shoots great, high quality parts and all for cheap!!! As in like under $500 cheap....for a crossbow that is solid which includes: (taken from site)

The KI 360 PRO Package includes an Illuminated Scope, 3 KillerTech™ Bolts, String Suppressors, DEADENING™ Limb Dampeners, Quiver, Rope Cocker and one stick of Rail Lube. The KI™ Lumix™ Scope features red/green rheostat illumination, multiple brightness settings and a multi-coated lens for exceptional clarity.

12. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes^^^ Check out Killer Instinct!

13. davydave86

davydave86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a KI350. Awesome bow

14. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Dad has a Barnett Quad 400.I think he bought it used last year for about $350,came with 12 arrows,BHs,target etc.

Very accurate and easy to use and he really likes it.

15. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Barnett Quad 400 for a few years now and it is the 3rd Barnett I have owned. Never had any problems other than main string, which is normal for xbows shot much. Get a rope cocker to make loading easier. HEAVY bolts is key to long life and performance. Trying to get more speed by going light just makes more noise and vibrations to tear up the xbow. Fixed broadheads do work better and I suggest 125 gr or higher.
    So have you bought Pa an xbow yet?

16. grandpa 62

grandpa 62 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That HHA speed dial is a great option I have it on my Barnett xbow.