"I dont shoot a crossbow because I'm a man" <----these guys

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by jacob, May 15, 2014.

1. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So i just bought a crossbow....I live in oklahoma and it recently became legal here to use them. Ive been catching some crap from my buddies about using it rather than a standard compound. What do you say to these types? Im wondering if the same conversations came around when the compound bow became more popular?

btw I bought a wicked ridge invader and I love it so far! Im not a fan of the cocking device it has though.

2. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your going to get a hale of mixed responses here, but in my opinion after just recently shooting a modern crossbow for the first time. They should be reserved for children and the disabled(those with injuries that prevent them from using a compound bow). But if the law says it's ok and that's the way you want to bow hunt, it's a free country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Living in OK myself I hated when they passed that law several years ago. Now days I could care less. If it's not against the law, then use it.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People will give you a hard time because they can. If that is what you choose, have fun man. Some people rifle hunt, some go muzzleloader hunting, some people crossbow hunt and some bowhunt. Some do all of the above. I don't know your circumstances, but like ISimon said, it's a free country. I know here in NC for the longest time you had to be disabled before you could shoot them. I think they changed the laws here a few years back. Glad you like your crossbow!

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I say go for it, have fun and to hell with worrying about what others say. There's not exactly a shortage of deer and there will always be purists and traditionalists or some "ists" that will complain about something.

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am one of those guys that never understood the argument that you should have to be disabled or a kid to be able to use them. It's a weapon and it has it's place with whoever chooses to pick it up and use it for what ever legal purpose you want. The argument get's so old that all you have to do is ask those people giving you a hard time when was the last time they knapped a broadhead to shoot on their hand made arrows out of their hand made stick bow?!?! If it's just ribbing you in jest for choosing a crossbow over a regular bow then maybe you'll just have to put up with it. After all, not all understand people's reasons for doing things in life, it's up to you to make the decisions that will give you the satisfaction you deserve.

Keith Mako likes this.
  7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    as long as there's one more responsible hunter out in the woods, enjoying our sport and spreading the word; I'm happy.

8. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To each his own.

If your better at killing your pry with it than so be it.
    I tell people if their not going to practice with their bow to come to my lease then buy a cross bow or even an Uzi just done take BS shots on live game if your not confident on your ability.

Although you can't shoot game farther then 25 yards either. If I've got to get within 25 yds with my compound bow then they need to with their 30/30.

9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't be a dbag...i plan on killing three deer this year. One with compound, one with crossbow and one with recurve.

Over corn.

With rages.

Keith Mako and Dubbya like this.
  10. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Side note...

Why is it encouraged to seek the easy money in life, yet taking the "easiest" method of harvesting game is frowned upon? Im all for challenging oneself, but why judge the others on their legal (and moral) methods?

;)

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Keith Mako and Dubbya like this.
  11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah. The post could be about rifles and how much easier would that be?

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saved me the typing ^^^

13. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We are all hunters....use whatever is legal...
    We should be concerned about hunters in general not what they are using legally to take game.

Some just get too involved in what another is using

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  14. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the compound over a crossbow for more of a challenge. I give all my crossbow buddies a hard time though telling them they cant hack it with a compound. but its all fun n games for me and them. I just like a bit more of a challenge which is why I only bow hunt. personal preference imo

15. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think there should be a head to head competition between the two and see who shoots better. No scopes for the xbow and no sight pins for the compound/recurves...............

buzzkillsilencers likes this.
  16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never bought the argument that shooting a crossbow is easier. Maybe it's just me, but I find I am MUCH more accurate and comfortable shooting my vertical bow than my crossbow (when not shooting from a rest, and all else being equal.) And I mean that out to 50+ yards. I'm decent with my crossbow, but for me it's just much easier to lock in and stabilize with a vertical bow. Crossbows are just so front heavy.

I'm not saying it's not easier for a slob to grab a crossbow for the first time, fire off 2 dozen shots and head into the woods capable of hitting a paper plate at 20 yards, but to really shoot well? If someone with a crossbow is capable of matching or beating me with a vertical bow shot for shot; then they absolutely have earned every right to head into the woods with me.

jody5252 likes this.
  17. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well said

18. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because people want a 'atta boy for how hard they think they work to prepare or practice.

I'd say good luck and hope you have success. I don't care what somebody walks into the woods with or how they do anything, I'm gonna do what I do regardless.

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why give a damn what others think?

20. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. This is relevant on many levels in today's world. Just do what makes you happy...as long as it's legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk