Broadheads for crossbow?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by MT_Bow_Hunter, Mar 23, 2016.

1. MT_Bow_Hunter

MT_Bow_Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What broadheads is everyone shooting? I just tried the new Toxic crossbow broadheads from Flying Arrow Archery and they seem to be working really well. The point of impact is very close to my field points and I seem to get great penetration. I've heard that the old ones weren't wide enough for bolts, so there were some flight issues, but the new crossbow model matches my bolts perfectly and I haven't had any trouble.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Expandable broadheads seem to shoot better from crossbows, I shoot NAP Spitfires from mine. Spitfires ain't no joke!!

3. Acts of the wolf

Acts of the wolf Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot the old Toxics out of mine and they flew great. Last year I hunted with 100gr Ramcats and loved them. I have a set of Dead Ringer Trauma heads coming in right now and can't wait to try them.

4. BigHackAttack

BigHackAttack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the SWHACKER 100 gr for my Parker Tornado. 1.75" cutting diameter and does some serious damage.

5. John The Hunter

John The Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Killzones for me - fly perfectly true to the field points.

6. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Expandable are becoming popular with x-bows. However, you may want to check to make sure that the heads that you choose will work properly on a x-bow. Some heads have been known to open in flight, or not open at all. Fixed blades are more reliable. Depending on what x-bow you have, the manufacturer should recommend what type, weight, heads to use. Good luck and shoot straight...

7. buckybadger

buckybadger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shot 2 deer last year (5 point and a doe) with RAGE 2+ and saw them both drop. Expandable blades for sure with the crossbow are the way to go -- devastating holes and quick kills.

8. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The new Grim Reaper Carni-fours can be used on both my compound bow and my crossbow so I may be trying those out this year. I may also try the new NAP Spitfire Doublecross Crossbow version when they are out.

9. Gary in Ohio

Gary in Ohio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Spitfire Maxx. They have killed every deer (16) that I've hit with them. They are longer than field points and so may not hit the same spot. Just adjust your sight. They are very accurate.

10. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what my buddy uses for his Excalibur Micro. He swears by them. I think uses 125 gr.

11. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the Rage Extreme 2 blades and have devastating results on the deer. No Flashlights needed.

12. Zardoz80

Zardoz80 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used a crossbow last season due to a shoulder injury with the Dead Ringer Trauma 2.5" hybrids. At least they call them a hybrid since it's a 7/8" entry cut then they open to 2.5". They are devastating, and fly great. I liked them enough that back to my bow this year and 10lbs down I went with the Dead Ringer Rampage 3 blades and they also hit right with my fields points. We'll see but I'm expecting similar results.

13. flatfour

flatfour Newb

Dislikes Received:
    NAP Thunderhead Razors now out of my TenPoint. I changed from mechanicals to these this year and taken two deer this week with them. Work great and very accurate every time.

14. TD Bauer

TD Bauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    100 gr Game Crushers. Seem to work very well. No issues.

15. 4315bowh

4315bowh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    8 clean kills, 1 messy gut shot (recovered), in last two years with 100 gr., three vane, fixed, cut-on-contact Muzzys from tree stands. Two shots from ground blind (one last year and one last Friday); lost both deer. recent deer: Bolt covered with blood, 1 drop from exit wound at point of contact and one drop 50 yards away. 16 hours of search over the weekend, found nothing else. Should I change broadheads shooting from ground blind? Should I switch to mechanicals or hybrids?
    Tom

16. John Dempsey

John Dempsey Newb

Dislikes Received:
  17. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you find the broadhead folded up then it was the shot placement. I shot a doe and hit the leg bone dead centered and she ran 75 yards and only dripped 3 drops of blood. You have had good luck with them,,, maybe you are aiming like you are still in the tree.

18. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some crossbow killzones to try out bear hunting this year. They fly great, hit dead on with field tips, and leave a nice hole for blood trail. Didn't really need the blood trail though. My bear only went 18 yrds and dropped. Hole through his heart didn't let him do much running :)

19. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had been shooting fixed blade broadheads but nothing to shoot them into to check if they were hitting the same as my field points. Store associate told me he had been using the Spitfire for a few years and loved them. Remove the three little blades and use it as a field point. I picked up a package of 4 Spitfire Crossbow MAXX and will try them. Going to weigh the three blades, flat spring and screws and see what weight difference it makes. I doubt it would make any difference as doubt anyone can hold steady enough for a couple grains to make a difference on where they hit.

Update: Removed the screws, springs and cutters from the MAXX this morning. Those parts weigh 31 grains, more than I expected and almost 1/3rd the total weight of the bh. 6° out so may shoot some later on.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  20. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    now that I have to use xbow I tried a few heads and were not real happy went back to old school figured I have enough power and speed in xbow to shoot comfortably out to 40 yards why not go heavier, thried the newer muzzy xbow heads did not like how they go together so went back to 130 grain muzzy 4 blades--absolutely beautiful, take only shoulder shots since either dropped or only went up to 50 yards usually go thru both shoulders they all new they were hit and did not knoqw they were dead bedfore they fell , drawback, muzzy no longer makes these heads , need o find more !!!