Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    30 yards max for me. That said, 38 is my longest actual shot. Did not have time to range and thought he was just beyond 30 based on what I had preranged trees at. In the heat of the moment I judged him off the wrong tree, ended up to be 38 but my 30 yard pin did the job regardless. Too many variables past 30 yards imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't shoot past 60yds, that's what I'm most accuarte at that max distance, I hope to be able to increase that as I get better. If your confident and able shoot as long distance as you want, some guys can kill out to 125yds and a lot can't hit a barn at 20yds.

Post Thanks / Like
    40 would be my max shot distance taken. I feel comfortable target shooting at 40 and can hit the mark consistently at that distance. The only problem would be it seems to me 40 yards is the danger zone for the deer having enough time to react to the shot. I'd have to take into consideration the bucks alertness before taking it.

Max distance I've shot a buck is 20. I've been lucky with keeping them close.
    U.S Army Vet 1991-1996

2016 Bowtech BTX-28
    QAD HDX, Trophy Ridge React, GT XT Hunter, Tight Spot Quiver, Bee Stinger, Tru Fire Extreme, Nocturnal (blue), NAP Killzone, G5 Montec CS

2016 - Team 23 "Buck Brothers"
    2015 - Team 9 "Antler Outlaws"
    2014 - Team 11 "Compound Mafia"

Post Thanks / Like
    took hogs at 35 and 30. was very comfortable with those shots. currently feel 30 yards is about my max.
    Z7 Extreme
    Standard Slicktricks
    Helical Razr fletching
    NRA lifemember

Post Thanks / Like
    So many variables, but on whitetails 40yds absolute max, and that's only under perfect conditions and with some background noise to muffle the sound of the shot. Most of the time 30yds max for me, and I prefer 25yds or less. My longest kill, 42 yards, wide open shot, oblivious deer, and an airplane going overhead!
    It's not that I can't shoot straight enough, but because I've learned that anything further is just not fair to the animal, too much can go wrong.
    Likes dnoodles liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    During my compound days I limited my self to thirty yards and most shots were less than twenty. Since switching to longbows and recurves I've honed my hunting skills getting closer to deer rather than shooting further away. I hunt between 0 and 15 feet high , most shots so far have been between 5 and 15 yards. Will take a 20 yard shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I practice out to a long ways and 3D out pretty far but would take a 40yd shot on a whitetail if the situation was right and that's my limit. Fartherest I've taken a shot on a live deer is 29yds. She didn't even take a step just dropped. Not a spiner got both lungs and a bit of heart and happened to be seated in a ground blind.

I had to hunt two seasons with a xbow after double shoulder surgery and popped one at 48 yds but it was a 175# xbow. Had a Thunderhead on both of those deer and both from a ground blind (couldn't climb a tree after surgery). The one from the xbow blew thru the doe and the TH embedded into a tree. I had to break the bolt, I couldn't even unscrew it. The shots were almost identical but the one with the xbow took off and it took well into the night to find her.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting longer then 40 at a deer, especially when they're spooked. I shot a doe last season at 53 yards but that was me being a douschebag even tho I killed her. I shoot targets at 60 comfortable but anything beyond 40 is a hailmary in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

What's your maximum distance?

I try to stay around 30.

I shot two bucks one year both at 35 yards. One with a lite carbon arrow and the other a heavy aluminum 2219. I think I was successful because there was no way they could see me or the arrow. Once they were in the shooting lane they were quartering away.

I took a 53 yard shot from a ground blind on a deer that was broadside. She basically jumped over and watching my arrow hit the ground next to her.

Open field, I'd go 35. In the woods totally hidden, as far as I can shoot accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    On a whitetail for me it's 40 yards. In 25+ years of bowhunting I've only done that once. Almost every other deer I've killed has been under 25 yards. Heck, I rarely shoot them over 30. If I wanted to kill deer at 60, 70, 80+ yards I would go gun hunting.
    Likes Dub-C, dnoodles, 95grvrMotive6 liked this post

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hunt mainly whitetails and don't like to take shots over 30 yards, the distance I regularly practice. They're too spooky and tend to jump the string at longer distances. I've taken two shots at 40 yards and don't do that anymore, but were misses.

I have killed elk, antelope and mule deer at distances over 50 but conditions were right for those shots. Of the animals I've shot I think the average is 20 yards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    On a whitetail for me it's 40 yards. In 25+ years of bowhunting I've only done that once. Almost every other deer I've killed has been under 25 yards. Heck, I rarely shoot them over 30. If I wanted to kill deer at 60, 70, 80+ yards I would go gun hunting.
    That's basically me in a nutshell. I "say" 40 yrd limit but 28 is the fartherest I've taken and most are in that 20-25 range. For me to take that 40 yd shot the conditions would have to be right, it would have to be late season and I'd been skunked all year, etc. If I had at least some meat in the freezer and the right conditions came up at 40, I'd probably pass.

I would have no qualms taking a 30 yd shot if it ever came up.
    Likes dnoodles, 95grvrMotive6 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    30 max, have shot 40 in the past with a compound. With the crossbow my max is 40 but have never shot over 30.
    Team 23 - Buck Brothers
    SA Sports Empire Beowolf Crossbow
    Beman Carbon ICS Crossbow Hunter
    Muzzy 100gr 3 Blade

Post Thanks / Like
    I have pins and practice out to 60 yards regularly, but the last two pins are more for emergency follow up situations when hunting than first shots. However, I did get a chance at a bear this fall,and due to a body of water between us 60 yards was as close as I could get. He was relaxed,standing on his hind legs eating some vegetation and I had lots of time. I took the shot and it went perfectly, bear only made maybe 20 yards before going down. However, I did manage to screw up a 50 yard shot at a cow elk only a week later, and decided in the future I'm going to try to limit shots to 40 yards or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have taken one at 55 but my max distance is dependent on the scenario. I've been drawn back at 70 but let down because wind picked up. I have knocked a rabbit at 65. All this being said, i set my stands for 20-30 yard shots.
    Hoyt Pro Defiant Turbo
    Spot Hogg Hogg Father
    Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro
    Bee Stingers
    Black Eagle Spartans
    Sitka Gear

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast