Slick trick standard.. Good blood trails?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by HunterMik, May 23, 2016.

1. HunterMik

HunterMik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just picked up a couple packs of slick tricks.. How is the blood trails on these? They seem to fly pretty good out to 50 yards for me.. I'm really wanting to use these for my deer & elk hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. jimmyg

jimmyg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome heads. I used for a couple seasons. They blow 20 gauge size holes in animal I never really had a great blood trail but the deer really couldn't take the shock of them either. Farthest that ran was maybe 40 yds. passthrough every time should be great on elk being you have the kinetic energy and a properly tuned bow

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive never used standards but ive never heard anything bad of the standards. Ive used the magnums for about 7 years now and I have not one bad thing to say about them. Ive only used on deer though. Never Elk hunted so I cant give an opinion on that.

4. HunterMik

HunterMik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I have just over 80lbs of kinetic energy and like .577 Momentum if I remember correct so it shouldn't be a problem.. My bow pretty tuned also.. At least I think. I just haven't seen much talk recently about them and got them on sale for a good price. Also nobody I know uses them so I had no clue on how they do blood wise.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot both the standards and the magnums. Mostly the magnums because they both flew pretty well for me. They have always left great blood trails for me. Its a solid head. Good luck!

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very good heads. Fly well and kill things if you do your job.

7. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting slick trick standards and mags for past 2 seasons and have gotten passthroughs on whitetail and nice open entrance and exit wounds with easy to follow blood trails. Not like huge spray the forest heart shot trails but nice visible trails. I'm still shooting them this year

8. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You mean there are other broadheads than Slick Tricks ?? In all my time using them I would have to say that the blood trails are by far better than ANY mechanical out there.....and yes, I have used the over-hyped, spongy Rage.

9. HunterMik

HunterMik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys.. Seems like people really like them! I'm heavily considering these for hunting this year, I've tried the stingers, exodus, Anarchy, muzzy, G5 ect.. (All fixed blade as I can't use mechs on big game in my state) I was never really impressed. Only one I haven't shot but would like too is a trocar. These have impressed me with sharpness and they seem to fly great with my setup. After my new strings & new release parts show up I'll be heading out to do some long range shooting with these, if they pass i think they will be in my quiver this fall.

10. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I think shot placement is key to blood trail...if you want a texas chainsaw massacre like bloodtrail you got to shoot em in the big blood vessels of the lungs or the aorta...then as they run the heart is still intact and pumping they are spraying out...this can happen with any broad head but my personal best was with a Wasp Jak Hammer years ago. A doe was bent down feeding and its brisket was low on the front legs...put one through both legs, armpit, heart, then other armpit and it was a blood bath...like you took a sprayer nozzle and fanned it out 6ft on either side of the deer. Now in contrast last year I double lunged a doe just above the heart missed the aorta, these slick tricks put a nice square hole in the deer and I feel like the blood didn't spray out it just kind of pours/leaks out on the ground as they run...JME. Both deer died in about the same distance from the shot though.

11. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Magnus black hornets are good! And a lifetime warrenty

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They will produce easily an adequate blood trail for your recovery efforts. I've been shooting the magnums for years now and keep saying I'm switching but never do....just ordered more replacement blades the other day :D

13. tider37

tider37 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Only killed a couple does with them , but they leave big holes. Standards

[​IMG]

14. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Magnums, I have always had good blood trails. Place the shot in the right area and the deer will not be going far.

15. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are a really great broadhead. I shot a mature buck this past fall with one. I blew through his shoulder and out the bottom of him. The blood trail was fantastic. I also killed two does with the standards later on. I believe total yards for recovery between the 3 deer was around 135 yards. Pretty tough to beat.

16. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much just use the magnums now, but the standard slick tricks are great too. I use the magnums for everything I hunt. Moose, elk, sheep, goats, grizzly. Pass thru on everything. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck!