My new Rig...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BuckEyeJay, Apr 16, 2016.

1. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well after selling my halon 6 I went to every bow shop I could find and shot every 2015 and 2016 model out from every company so being a mathews guy for the last 10 years and having a halon 6 and selling it I wanted something new something more up to date on technology don't get me wrong mathews is great but it seems they have fallen off in the years and become more of a marketing company then a engineering company for the hunters so I shot the primes and elites didn't care for them same with bowtech and obsession so I go and shoot the hoyt carbon spyder zt the hoyt carbon defiant and hoyt carbon spyder fx same as the defiant cams so after it was all said and done the bow that picked me was the 2015 hoyt carbon spyder zt 30 it shot awesome the grip is the best grip I've felt out of any bow very smooth quiet and accurate so I have one on order just waiting for it now I'll post pics when I get it

2. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new bow!!

3. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any reason why you got rid of the Halon?

That carbon spyder is a sweet bow!

4. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    The halon wasn't the bow for me it has a harsher draw cycle then what I'm used to being it's built like a speed bow and it feels like it's wants to rip your arm off during the draw I was only able to shoot it for like 35 to 45 min then I was beat my muscles and shoulder were getting torn up I want a bow I love to shoot and enjoy to shoot and I want a bow I can shoot all day long then feel beat not after 35 min it's a great bow for someone else just not me and alot of the time I don't get to shoot them first I pay wholesale for them on release date and it gets sent to my house my best friend owns a bow shop so I only pay what he pays for them so I get them way below value and I also don't like how you can't precision tune this bow like other bows on the market there's just alot of things I found that weren't for me I also didn't like how heavy it was especially after being setup and the new flat back grip isn't my style I have larger hands and each time I would draw it back the thumb trigger from my hdx would touch my hand dew to the new grip style. And also like I said I'm also looking for new technology and mathews just isn't putting that out anymore it seems there all over the place now for marketing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  5. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    But thanx I'll post pics as soon as I get it I'll have it by next Saturday they said.

6. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet !

7. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did you get a chance to or have the opportunity to shoot the Hoyt for 35-40 minutes?

8. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I shot the hoyt for over an hour and loved it while buddy had his bow worked on it just felt like the bow for me and my style of hunting I enjoyed shooting the 2015 carbon spyder zt the best out of all the new bows out its a sweet smooth very accurate bow .

9. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your right it is a sweet bow, it was in my final 3 .

10. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's amazing how everyone feels each bow so differently, there is so many good companies out there producing good bows that everyone can find the bow that suits they're needs! What made you decide to buy the Halon if the draw cycle was so harsh for you? For me it's hands down the smoothest bow I've ever picked up. I actually made my shop put it on a scale because I didn't believe it was 70 pounds.

11. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    That's definitely not true lol I get mathews bows for wholesale price so I don't get to shoot them upon release it just gets sent to my house my buddy owns a bow shop in southern il and he sells them to me for what he pays so I didn't get to shoot it first I've shot mathews for 10 years now I've been a loyal mathews guy cause they were smooth bows but I just don't like this one and it seems like there's no new technology in the bow so you got half a no cam with the Chill technology behind it and a mission style riser nothing new and the crapy same roller guard now for years and I hated how you can't fine tune this bow I fine tune all my bows I mean full on Super tunes and you can't really tune the halon how it's built with the split yoke system the only real tuning you can do is mess with and move the top hats around the bow to try to tune it its just not for me I can go on and on with issues or dislikes on this bow it was just my choice to move to a company that's producing the best bows out to date with the best technology

12. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whoa, defensive much? Settle down fella Im not sure what I said that wasn't true but congrats on finding the right rig for you!

13. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new set up! I was at my local proshop the other day and shot a few bows including the hoyt and for me the grip didn't feel steady in my hand! to me that just shows everybody is different! cant wait to see those pics!

14. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry if I came off that way I didn't mean to lol but it does have a way harsher draw then any other mathews produced to date and it just felt like it wanted to rip my arm off I've talked to many people that feel the same way it just wasnt the bow for me this year sad to say being I love mathews maybe next year's models will be better and I can go back but for now it's is back to hoyt what I started shooting many many years ago

15. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats !

16. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DSC_0301.jpg Robin hood 007 (2).jpg Can't super tune them? Bare shaft and fletched at 25 yards and robin hoods what more do you want?
    Congrats on the new rig, but your dig on not being able to super tune a Mathews is fallacy.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  17. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I`m a little taken aback about what you said about the Halon 6. I was really looking at that bow to get over the summer. I still will shoot it but now i`m a little depressed, I was and still am very excited to see what it feels like in my hands. Hope I have a better feel for it than you did. But good luck with your bow!!

18. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Bare shaft tunes aren't even the half of it I want my arrows to fly as straight as possible I get Robin hoods out to 50 and 60 that's what I mean by super tuning I mean string and yoke and cable tuning and timing and you just can't do this with the halon the way it's built I've been doing this now for 17 years I shoot with alot of sponsored pro ams and it's all about the bow and how well we can tune it and mathews is cutting that out of there bows to save time and hassle for them and the bow shops if a bow shop can't, won't, or don't know how to super tune or tune in general it's not a bow shop I wana spend my time or money at and I feel the same way with a bow that you really can't tune besides moving the top hats around there is no yoke or cable tuning this bow and most people are getting a 1 inch center shot with this bow when you want a 13/16 center shot the only way to achieve this is to move your top hats to create lean to center your shot not yoke or cable tuning it I don't want to create lean that's not suppose to be there to great a perfect center shot or move top hats that's not really supposed to be moved by specs

19. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    If you knew how to tune or what I'm talking about you would understand but I bet you've never really tuned a bow or even taken one fully apart I've been doing this for a very long time and I do this for a living being I work in a bow shop that carries mathews bow and I'm a certified mathews tech so I can keep going on about how you can't tune it just call mathews they will explain it to you the same way and tell you the same thing don't take it from me just call them for yourself and you'll see its even on there Comercial for the halon how it talks about how you never have to tune it its cause you can't lol go twist those double yokes and see what happens I'll be saying I told you so lol this was a thread about me telling my opinion on my new setup from my old I'm not bashing anyone who has a halon or saying it's the crappiest bow it's not its a good bow if that's what your looking for which most of you are most of you don't tune your bows or anything you bring it to a shop jet someone else do it like me so most wouldn't understand and arrow tuning isn't even tuning lol when we setup a bow we don't check arrows we check cam lean Ata brace height and timing arrows are the last thing of the setup so your one of those that falls into that category sorry to say.

20. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Both of mine are 13/16 straight down the middle! Here is a little secret if that is if you have to move top-hats around it's a one time deal! What do you think your doing by twisting yokes around? I will tell you your putting lean on your cam!! I would like to see some of your robin hoods at 50 and 60 yards? Top-hats can be moved around why do you think they make different thickness is of them? By the way I have been at this for 43 years, if that really means anything.