Blood Tracking Help on Those Lost Deer (Dogs)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rob / PA, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering, for those states that allow it, and those that have lost some deer, Had y'all even considered getting a dog to aid in the recovery?

http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=6

I ask because there are several threads that are looking for advice but yet they haven't utilized one of the best tools available, a dog's nose...

And for those that haven't shot nor lost, this is a great tool for when/if it ever happens...

I'm not plugging these guys because of any other reason than I'd love to see you guys and gals recover every animal and for those that might not know this tool is available to them.

MOST of these services are FREE... these guys and dogs just love to do what they do. . .

I also learned they have a FB account for those with one.. http://www.facebook.com/pages/United-Blood-Trackers/164761806920151

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    Robbie66, kalkal and GroundHunter00 like this.
  2. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to bump this one time...

57 reads, no replies just makes me cringe... ( I did appreciate the PM and wish you serious success)

I cannot comprehend why we are losing deer in states that allow this.. we see it every year, help I can't find my deer, advice needed but when it's offered, it's ignored and this is about as good as you can get, YOU cannot beat these dog's noses..

In states that allow tracking, and you don't utilize the service, I will no longer condole you on a lost deer, it's on you.

Good luck out there. :cry:

GroundHunter00 and RutJunkie like this.
  3. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A little beagle came up to the house yesterday... I had a deer hide in the back of my truck....

Guess where he was trying to get?

4. Gyle

Gyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't make sense to me either. Your pretty much obligated to take every possible option to recover that deer if you've shot it. You owe it to the animal to do all you can to make the best of it.

5. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it should be pinned to the top at the beginning of the seasons. If it was/is available to me I would certainly use it if needed. It would probably only cost you travel expense to get there and a tip for the handler's work.

6. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rob..

I was going to reply last night but did'nt have time. I have been "planning" on getting into tracking with a dog one day.
    As I type this I have one Daschund sitting on my lap and two more running around the house. I know for a fact that when I do decide to buy a dog for this application it will indeed be a daschund.
    I hope to buy a pup from a reputable tracking breed, I have talked with I believe Andy Bensing(I believe thats who it was) who at one time was still familiar with pups out of the bloodline from his dogs.

I would have done this years ago, but time has been something I have not had to get started with it. I am glad to hear that you have some knowledge into the subject, I may be contacting you when the time is right for me to get started. I will also be joining UBT so I can gain as much knowledge as possible!
    When I decide to do it I will be going full steam ahead to try and do it right!

At this time I would like to say Damn you Rob....now you got me thinking about doing it again!!! I have said for years I was going to buy John Jeanneny's book and read it before I got started, and you know what I am going to go order the book right now!

GroundHunter00 likes this.
  7. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Amen Rick

I'm sorry... NOT. LOL :evilgrin:

My dog Axel is out of Andy Bensings kennel.. And is a direct bloodline of John Jeanenney's line.. locally you can't do better...

John's book is definitely the starting point, I own it and have read it. I'm going to work with Axel more come this spring and summer. It's been a while since he's been on a practice run... and we never know, maybe this year is the year they legalize it for PA.

Here's Axel again when a buddy of mine shot a small buck and saw it go down. He called me from the stand asking me if I wanted Axel to trail it and I did, he circled so not to disturb the line and tagged the deer so it was all nice and legal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wop 75 and Mark W66 like this.
  8. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome!! I love seeing that!

9. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Axel before I picked him.. photo by Andy (breeder) getting him started. Axel is the blue collar..

[​IMG]

10. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's not legal in ND. Wish it was as I can see it being a great aide.

Tim

11. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Virginia just legalized it this year. Part of the state can hunt deer with dogs...why they would not let us track them was beyond me. Glad someone saw the light and got it passed. The only bad thing is the two trackers listed for VA are quite a ways from me.

A couple years ago when I shot a buck and could not recover...I managed to get in touch with a guy (thinking the one in Newport News) to help me track (this was before it was legal). He said he would if I covered his gas expenses which I obviously would have. Guy never showed up. Wish I could find someone more local. Actually, I'd like to own a tracking dog myself one day.

My mutt, Molly, helped me track and actually found my last doe. I'd say it was a relatively easy track job though. :)

12. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Donnie, this is where you start...

http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/index.php?option=com_rokquickcart&view=rokquickcart&Itemid=15

[​IMG]

13. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's one serving NW NC that mentioned traveling further... I'd say that could be our best bet Donnie...

14. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rob does that book help with training?

15. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:

Yes... that's mostly what it is... I'd hate to use the term bible, but for training dogs, it could be considered that..

It covers breeds, training from pups right through to older dogs.
    It gives scenarios on tracking
    Experiences with tracking
    Facts on tracking.

16. Hoyt Bone Collector

Hoyt Bone Collector Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am surprised to see that we cannot track with dogs here in Kansas. We are usually pretty relaxed when it comes to these things.

17. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Aaron...thanks for the heads up on that. I didn't think about checking NC.

Rob...I might go ahead and buy that book. In the meantime, if I was serious about beginning training before next season...should I bottle some blood and such from a next kill?

Also, I'd like to try and train my current dog. That could present a challenge.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

18. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Finch...
    I am fairly certain u can indeed freeze blood and certain organs such as the liver to use later on down the road. Although if you don't want to bother with that it is always possible to find fresh road kill when you are ready!

19. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I might go ahead and freeze a couple things from my next kill. Ill be sure of thr freshness that way. ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

20. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the United Kingdom, blood tracking dogs are commonplace. They are used to recover muntjac, chinese water deer, fallow deer, roe deer, and red deer. I imagine they recover other species as well. It's neat to see them in action.

Here's a photo of Ty with two roe deer he helped locate:

[​IMG]

Gotta love labs!

Wop 75 likes this.