Rage Hypodermic blood trail

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Texasboy807, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Texasboy807

Texasboy807 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got into bowhunting in 2014 and have used the rage hypodermic 100 gr broadheads only. I have killed 2 deer with them a buck and a doe. Had a complete pass through on the doe and only about 12-13 inches of penetration on the buck. The doe ran about 60 yds and died. While tracking her, I only had blood from about 10 yds away from where she layed. The buck only went 40 yds and there wasnt any blood at all. I had good shots on both but was wondering if this was a common thing with the hypodermic or not? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. travisd78

travisd78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Change your broadheads. I shoot the T3's by G5. Have always had plenty of blood and full pass throughs. I used to shoot the rages but after one opened during flight I changed to the T3's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It seems to be a common problem. I shoot the Rage Hypodermics and I like them a lot. I like The Deep Six version better. However, some blood trails have been very sporadic with the original Hypodermics. Even on complete pass thru shots. But, I have found ever deer I have killed with the Hypodermics inside of 100 yards.

4. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With the invention of Slick Tricks , why even bother shooting a mechanical ? Never a blood trail problem with the Tricks.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Luckily there are several more brands you can buy so you can choose many different heads to blame. Without knowing your set up and where you hit the deer hard to identify what to blame or what will work for you.

6. Texasboy807

Texasboy807 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a 26" draw 70# with maxima red arrow hit them both in the lungs

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A 2" cut into the lungs is going to bleed, shot angle and pass thru play into it but a deer can cover a lot of ground in 5 seconds and blood can be spotty in the early part and last parts of a tracking job. FYI what they say about a carpet of blood in the advertisements might be a "little" over estimated.

8. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What he said.

And this may not be the case at all but the first couple of deer I shot with bow I didn't think they had good blood trails. Then my dad would come along and show me everything I missed. I learned a lot of time blood doesn't make it to the ground if there is a lot of vegetation and they can kick leaves over the blood they just dropped. Not to mention just the general tuning of your eyes for blood on leaves. I understand this may not be the case but I have a feeling it's an easy mistake to make with newer Bowhunters. Also don't expect a carpet of blood. Expect spurts a few yards apart. That's been my experience anyway.

9. sixgun255

sixgun255 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Rage no more for me.
    I have shot rage since they came out, I followed them as they changed their products, even though you need to change the blades after every kill.Once they got to the hypodermic version that is. I did kill a couple deer with them but anytime I when in and hit the other shoulder the tip would be bent over and I had to trash the entire head.
    Switched to Swhacker and they are great but if you really want a blood trail you don't need to even bend over to see? Get the Exodus by NAP they kill great and let the blood roll.

10. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never had an issue with the hypos when I shot them. The only deer that didn't absolutely pour blood was on a shot that didn't have an exit wound. Every time I had a complete pass thru it was like you sprayed blood with a water hose.

11. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cant talk much about Hypodermics, this will be my first season using them, however I have been using the range extreme 2.3" cuts and they left me with devastating blood trails. The chisel tips are great too and heard the NAP spitfires are excellent for tracking.
    Best of luck to you bud!

12. PSEHunter79

PSEHunter79 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: