Quietest, best compound bow for the money

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by gene so, Sep 23, 2016.

1. gene so

gene so Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,
    This entry may seem absurd, but I assure you its legitimate. Thirty years ago I was a senior member of the Pope and Young and traveled the country using my membership to hunt with knowledgable hunters in some excellent hunting situations.
    I was injured, re-entered college, put aside bowhunting, and entered my field of study. I saw my last patient and have now retired to the Rockies in New Mexico. I have been offered access to a ranch that has not been hunted for Deer. Antelope and Elk. Previously, I have taken two different Antelope a combined 4 3/8" short of Boone and Crockett. Since I am handicapped I can see a great opportunity here to finally take a really high quality Antelope since "Boonies" have been taken on both adjoining ranches, nearly every year, recently.
    Thus, acquiring a really good blind and accurate bow is a priority for next fall. All the speed in the world for a compound cannot gain anything if its noisy. What's the quitest compound out there, or what are the techniques for silencing these newer bows that really work?

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Gene So

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No such thing as the best, but you need to find the best for you. Just based on reading and my own personal experience I think a great bow for someone who has had previous injuries etc. is the Mathews No Cam HTR. The draw cycle is very very smooth, the bow is dead quite, and its very easy on your arms etc. Another bonus is that you could probably find a really nice used on on craigslist or a local archery shop. I'm sure there are others but this one I can personally vouch for. I now have the Halon 6 but I sold my No cam HTR to get it and I still say the No Cam is the most accurate bow I ever shot. I ended up selling it to an older gentlemen on craigslist who had previous injuries and wanted something smooth and easy to draw. I shot one at his local shop and then found my ad on craiglist and said he wanted it right away.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're going to get a different answer from each of us that chimes in. Most of today's bows a quiet and compared to 30 years ago they will fall in the "dead quiet" category. What you should be looking for is a bow that fits you and one that is repeatable for you. The previous post favors Mathews bows. We have several Mathews dealers near me but I can't consistently or comfortably shoot one of their bows. They just do not feel good to me. The best way to get back in the game is to shoot every bow that you can get your hands on. Find a good bow shop and work with them. As for a blind.... there are lots of companies making blinds and there is some really good ones and some really awful ones. I have been using blinds from luckys hunting blinds. I have private land to hunt so I can go in a month before the season and set them up and leave them for the deer to get used to them. They are durable and they are very roomy inside. I've had one of mine for over 10 years and it's still in great shape.

Good luck and enjoy!!!!

4. Zardoz80

Zardoz80 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bottom line some bows like the No Cam HTR which I own and hunt with are just designed with some pretty awesome noise dampening features. However that said I haven't shot or seen shot any speed bow that was quiet no matter what. Bottom line you whip a string through the air fast enough it's going to be loud because it's the one thing you cannot silence. You can take the twang off of it but the crack of the string as it flies forward cannot be prevented.
    Best I can tell at about 320fps it starts cracking. I have a Hoyt Charger my old bow same limb dampeners, stab, sights as my No Cam HTR. I have it set at 70lbs with a 30" draw so IBO is 325. With a light arrow and a 100gr tip it's noticeably louder than my No Cam. Bump up the arrow weight and thus slow down the string a bit, and the volume of the shots suddenly drops considerably.
    Short of vibration noise which modern aftermarket dampeners do a good job silencing I think it's just a matter of string speed. Fast = loud.

5. Onetrakryder

Onetrakryder Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It has been said already that each has their own preference and that preference can influence the advice they would give. The thread title is best quietest for the money. I would submit that you will not find a bow with the speed, smooth draw characteristics and low noise level of the Obsession Turmoil at a lower price from any of the other big bow companies. If price enters the equation like the thread title would indicate then you should give it a try.

6. rossragan

rossragan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree that the HTR is the quietest bow I have shot but you would be looking at a used one if you are looking at keeping your cost down. I shoot mine at 60 lbs and am amazed by the number of other shooters at the range who comment to me about how quiet that bow is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned by the others here, I think this is a loaded question. I find that no matter what type of bow you're shooting, if you load up the arrow weight it does an incredible job at quieting down the vibrations and noise on the bow in general. Its always a difficult decision to make for those who want the speed, but with speed comes noise. No matter what brand of bow you're shooting, there will be residual noise and no matter how fast your bow is, its never going to be faster than the speed of sound.
    Best of luck in your search and be sure to share some pics once you get that Booner!