New bow for returning hunter

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Snakemau, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Snakemau

Snakemau Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all!
    well back in 2003-2005 I had a PSE Typhoon which was great for my beginning into bow hunting. Well now i want to comeback to hunting and need to get a new bow. I was looking at the PSE Sinister skullworks but seems is also an older model so decided maybe the PSE Stinger X. Is this a similar bow to the Typhoon? Is it worth it? Any other recommendations for a deer hunting bow around $500? What other gear will be recommended? I used muzzy 100 he heads with Easton carbon arrows, trophy taker, and others I can't remember.... is the Stinger field package good?
    thanks

2. OR_ String_Stalker

OR_ String_Stalker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Are you just looking at getting a PSE

3. Snakemau

Snakemau Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No, I was mentioning PSE cause that's the one I'm familiar with, but I know there are other options, I just don't have any experience with those...any suggestions?

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know the typhoon. But I will say the technology has jumped leaps and bounds since 05 and just about any bow now will shoot more accurately and hit harder than that Typhoon most likely. As far as brands go I would say look at Mission first and foremost. I would stay away from PSE because of horrendous customer service. Need a part? Prepare to wait months to get it. Really for the money you are talking there isn't a reason to look at much else besides Mission IMO.

5. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a PSE Stinger X in 2015, after being away from bowhunting for several years. Took my first ever buck with his bow on Nov 5, 2016. I highly recommend the Stinger X. I have experienced no problems with mine; put new string on this summer. For me, it was the perfect bow to get me back into bowhunting without spending an arm/leg. I highly recommend.

6. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you'll often see people say they are $XX budget for a bow, but does that include all accessories? sights? rests? release? arrows? heads? etc

you'll push that $500 pretty darn quick

7. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    regarding the Stinger field package being any good... it depends on where you buy it. I recommend looking at Huntersfriend.com. They offer more than just the standard "field package". I got my Stinger in December 2015 (on special) and it came set up (custom to my specs), paper tuned, with a release, 9 custom fletched arrows, a hard case and shipped to my door for well under your $500 budget. Good luck