Looking for more ideas

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by kurveball18, Jan 12, 2017.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I use a XOP Vanish XT hang on stand and 4 lone wolf sticks.

The biggest pain that I have is stacking the sticks and then getting them attached to the stand. This past season I would stack them all and strap them tight to each other which can take a little time especially in the dark. Then I would lay them on the stand and use another strap with a gator clip to sinch them tight to the stand. Not the greatest but it worked even though it takes too long in my opinion.

Prior to season I ordered a set of the Stick talons but didn't really like them either. I'd try the lone wolf stick quiver on my XOP stand but don't think it works based on what I've read from others.

Are their any other options or gadgets I can try???? Id like to be able to climb down and not even have to stack the sticks to be honest. Something like the stick quiver would be nice but just don't know if anything exists.

2. 78littlered

78littlered Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have two sets of the XOP sticks. They lock to each other and then I use one ratchet strap to attach them to my stand. Works well for me and takes about 5 minutes to pack up once I'm on the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I first got the stick talons I struggled with then, but over the season I figured out how to use them efficiently. In the end I was able to strap the bottom stick to the stand on the top of the stick only with the second connected only with the locking mechanism of the xop sticks. Once to the tree I pulled off both top sticks and was able to climb and pull the next 2 off the stand while hanging the stand making 1 trip up to hang the entire set possible. Packing up was just as easy just lock the sticks together and strap over the bottom stuck. I'm going to improve it more in the offseason but think this is the best way.

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had the XOP sticks but sent them back. Thought they were significantly bulkier and heavier than the lone wolf ones. Just wish there was an easier way to attach to stand quick and quite instead of having to stack them, strap them together, and then attach to stand. Kind of a pain in the *** and takes too long.

5. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt on private property next to the place. Put the stand in a tree about 100 yds from the corner building. Camera showed deer moving through there a lot. Put the Rivers Edge 4 sticks up and the stand. Deer changed their travels and were no shows after the gun season.. Never used the stand. Took it down the other day. When I put the sticks & stand up I used 4 lengths of cheap 5/16" rope. One tied to the stand a three to the sticks. Other end to my lineman's belt. Pulled the sticks up one by one as I needed them, then the stand. Came down the same way. If I had to put my sticks up and down for each hunt I would stay to ground blinds. My 3/4 century + knees don't like that much time on sticks or ladders.

6. Tylerray619

Tylerray619 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt public land all across from Illinois to Kansas to Kentucky to Alabama to Iowa. I use a alpha lone wolf and 4 lone wolf climbing sticks and the work great easy pack and easy set up. But I was thinking about swapping to XOP cause of the price and the locking sticks but I'm not sure yet what to do. But can't go wrong with a lone wolf. Number 1 stand out there. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. Coop427

Coop427 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started using the stick quiver last year and had no issues. I also read reviews of them breaking but I guess that's from pulling them off at an angle to the left or right and stressing the plastic instead of pushing them up/down to remove which doesn't stress the plastic. I only had a chance to use them last season but so far so good and no signs of the plastic showing stress marks anywhere.

8. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought the lone wolf sticks, 2 sets, and tested them the other day. I was up the tree in about 5 min without even breaking a sweat. However I didn't even hang a stand though. I did order the lone wolf alpha 2 lock on. Should be here soon. Anyway there are a lot of youtube videos about how guys climb and pack with them. One idea I took was this guy ties parachute cord loops around the top two sticks and hangs them from his safety harness as he's climbing. I tried that on my first setup. It works great.You can hang multiple sticks from your safety harness and just stack them together once your on the ground. Not sure about attaching them to the stand yet seein as I don't have my alpha yet. I do have 2 lone wolf sit and climbs. ! of them is more than 20yrs. old and works as good as the day I bought it.

cant likes this.
  9. Coop427

Coop427 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen that same video drslyr mentioned and I have also tried that last season. I think it's DIY Sportsman who has some videos on it. The cord loops work great and eliminate having to climb back down to grab more sticks. I thought they might swing around and clang on the other sticks as I climb up but I've never had an issue with that. I have them permanently on my safety harness now. Great tip!

10. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put 2 loops on the harness and 2 loops on the top two sticks that way your sure to have enough.

So.Ill.Deer.Hunter likes this.
  11. blinginpse

blinginpse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Link to the video you guys are taking about please

12. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I watched so many I cant remember who's video it was. Just go on youtube and look up LW climbing sticks. There's lots of good ideas on how guys are using them

13. Coop427

Coop427 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the link to the string loops for the sticks

cant likes this.
  14. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: