Linemans rope

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by kurveball18, Jun 27, 2016.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So before season i'll be getting myself a new loc on stand and sticks (hoping to get the new Vanish XT from XOP) with that said, I also want to get a new linemans rope. the one I have is the one that came with my HSS Lite harness but its too big and heavy i'm thinking. Too much strap and the big heavy clips are annoying. ARe there any out there that you recommend that are light weight but strong etc. Something i can put behind my head with it hooked to each loop on my harness would be nice when not in use.

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The Livewire is only good once you're strapped into the top of the tree if you fall. It's not an actual lineman's belt you can use while climbing.

If you get rid of the heavy steel carabiners your lineman's belt came with and get the lighter aluminum ones you'll be pretty far ahead in terms of overall weight. Also, do you have a rope style or a strap style? Personally I prefer to carry mine in one of the water bottle pouches on the side of my pack rather than around my neck/back like you described. I will do that when hanging stands during the summer, but not for actual hunting purposes.

4. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    Like JZ said, try changing out the carabiners with the lighter ones. I do on all my HSS Lifelines as well. I know it may seem bulky, but they work really well.

5. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    The one i have currently is a strap with the heavy clips.

6. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Any suggestions on where to get the lighter carabiner ones to replace the heavy ones on my strap? not sure what to look for. Ratings, etc.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a rope strap and it only has one carabiner. It's pretty light. I think it came with my Muddy harness, if not I have no idea where I got it lol.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Light weight carabiners - Hunter Safety System High-Strength Carabiners

Personally having used both the strap and the rope-style with prussic knot, I far and away prefer the strap. It's super easy to adjust with one hand where I find I can't move the prussic knot without using two hands.

If you want to run with a single carabiner you can do that and simply loop one end of the strap/rope through your harness and then back through itself. The only problem is that's more of a semi-permanent type of install. If you want to take that side of the belt off on your way up a tree to get around some limbs, you're screwed. For me, the 2 light weight carabiner setup and the strap is the way to go.

9. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    I get mine off Lancaster Archery. They are rated up to 5600 lbs and you can get a 2 pack for $19.99. They male a Huge difference!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016