Lacroose hunting boot review

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by gdluck413, Apr 4, 2016.

1. gdluck413

gdluck413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After hunting with the same pair of LACROOSE, Pac style hunting boots, it's time to get a new pair for this season. My current pair of LACROOSE boots, with out a doubt, have served me well for 11 years, but the rubber is finally starting to crack. Unfortunately, LACROOSE no longer makes this boot, so I will hopefully get some great reviews from everyone here. I have been reading review, after review, but would like to get the most current reviews I can. I think I have this down to 4 different LACROOSE boots, but feel free to add any additions you feel are worth throwing in to the hat. I am looking for a boot that gives the best cold weather protection, for all day sits, as well as trying to remain scent free. Below are the 4 different LACROOSE boots I feel stand out.

1. Alphaburly Pro, 1600g's of Thinsulate, 18" tall and help stay as scent free as possible.

2. Aerohead 7mm of Neoprene and 18" tall.

3. 4XBurly - 1600g's of Thinsulate and 18" tall

4. Hunt Pac Extreme - 2000g's of Thinsulate and 10" tall. The 2000g's of Thinsulate really seems like this boot would be the best choice. However, these are not made of all rubber, are only 10" tall, and just fair reviews.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Respectfully,
    Brian

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a pair of LaCrosse boots that were older and not made in China. I replaced them with another pair….The Chinese version…………….Garbage.

3. gdluck413

Dislikes Received:
    I had your very reply in the back of my head, but was hoping I didn't have to face reality. Sounds like I will just have to get the Alphaburly Pro's, with 1600g's of Thinsulate and buy some thermacells... Any other suggestions in a different boot? I have Schnees and Kendtreks, but my 2014 Pike County, IL hunt proved those boots are only warm when your hiking. (Just my opinion.) thanks for the reply...

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been loving my Aeroheads. I need the waterproofing for where I hunt so they were by far the best choice.. Wore them all season without a single complaint.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with Fitz.

6. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great boots. I'll be picking some up myself soon. For cold weather I would steer clear of #2 Aerohead 7mm of Neoprene as they are more like an 800 gram.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For cold sits I still wear my old LaCrosse Ice Kings. They aren't as waterproof as I like but they are toasty. I would go with the Alpha Burlys. 1600 grams is a good amount. I wear a pair of Cabelas rubbers in 1200 gram in cold cold weather and don't have problem.

8. gdluck413

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking 1600g's is a lot of insulation as well, but the reviews on the 2000g insulated were not real good. I will say I think a lot has to do with preparation before you slide your boots on. Some hunters think 2 pair of socks are best, others think a sock liner, with one pair of wool socks are best.

Fitz, your hunting with the Aeroheads, with 7mm of insulation? I don't see any other boot in that line with more. I have water to cross as well, so I will need a boot that is at least 18" tall.

Thanks again everyone. Keep your opinions coming.

9. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using alpaca wool liners with great success. They are expensive but awesomely warm

10. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the 7mm this past year. Was not impressed by the quality. Seam tape in the inside ripped loose after only a few hunts. Boots smelled for a while out of the box. I was not overly impressed by the warmth when not active. Like almost all waterproof boots on the market, sweat builds up fast. No interior liner (if you want that sort of finish.

They are very light and very comfortable. Easy on and off yet, great to walk a few miles in each hunt. Worked well for ice fishing as well. I'm on the fence if I would buy them again or not.

11. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that the newer Alpha Burly's are garbage. My first two pairs lasted for several years.... My last pair only lasted 3 seasons.. Not the same, not even close... I like Mucks much better.

12. Mukwonago19

Mukwonago19 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure if this will help you at all, but I had a pair of Lacrosse Ice King boots that I wore for ice fishing, gun hunting, and anything when the weather was freezing. LOVED those boots, but after 10+ years, the tread on the sole, specifically the heel area, wore through, and I would get stones caught in the hollow part of the sole. Not a huge deal, but I thought 'time for a new pair'. I kept the old boots, and screwed about 25 sheet metal screws into the soles, and made them my ice fishing boots when fishing on glare ice. Works fantastic! I can run on glare ice like I'm running on the ground. I bought a new pair of Lacrosse Ice King boots, identical to my old ones (or so I thought). Before the second season was over, my boots already had worn through the tread, and with much less use. That's when I noticed that the boots were made in China. Very disappointed!! I bought an old pair that were in really good shape off of ebay that were made in the USA. I wish Lacrosse hadn't shipped manufacturing over to China (at least for these boots). I would gladly pay more money for the quality that they used to produce.

13. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just get a pair of Muck boots

14. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like my Aerohead just fine and they are holding up so far
    I also have a pair of muck I love so either is good
    The Aerohead is lighter and more comfortable on stand but the mucks are better for hiking

15. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of lacrosse and love them. I'm not sure which series they are. I remember they're 800 grams.
    There are a few things I like about them specifically and why:

- One piece toe - There are no seams around the toes. I had a pair of rutmasters and they were nice, for 2 years, then they started to leak at the seams. They just couldn't take a lot of movement
    - Padding - Literally, it's like walking on air

I use mine for deer, turkey and waterfowl. They do just fine in stand (I put hand warmers between layers of socks). My feet don't get too hot. They are light enough to use during turkey season with just a pair of athletic socks, and they'll stand up to getting in and out of layout blinds, something that ate the rutmasters up.
    Oh, they also get used for shed hunting and mushrooms.

16. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To add I also think prep is important...I mean you are going to sweat some in rubber boots no matter what...the key is to have a good moisture wicking sock and also some air space in the boot. If you stuff you foot into 2 thick wool socks and then into a boot so that it is tight on your foot then you will get cold. I find going up a size and then wearing one good moisture wicking layer(I wear Dahlgren dristride alpaca) and one insulating sock like a nice thick lofty wool sock( I have lacrosse and wigwams) then still have some room in the boot I will stay warm for longer durations even with less insulation in the boot. I don't think that you can compare grams of thinsulate insulation vs a 7mm neoprene and foam boot. I personally think the foam style boots insulate better. I spent years on ships in the Bering Sea wearing regular uninsulated Xtra tuff and insulated Xtra tuffs and no 1600 gr thinsulate boot would stand up to that cold. That's why Yeti coolers aren't filled with 1600 grams of insulation they are filled with foam.

17. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Aerohead boot and I like it.

It is plenty warm for the late season here in Michigan, maybe to warm for early season.

18. gdluck413

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Michigan, and when I went to IL, in 2014, it was brutally cold. I then hunted the last week of Michigan's season, as I always do. I know that Thinsulate was not doing the job, with the back up boots I was in. I also wear moisture wicking socks(Lacroose) with one pair of wool. I have hunted in sub zero temps with my old Lacroose boots and never had an issue. Thanks for the replys, and I now have a lot to think about.

19. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't tried the therma cell heated insoles but I've heard good things. Might want to try those along with new boots if your feet still cold