Heated gear/jackets

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by kurveball18, Sep 29, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

With the cold season coming I was curious who all has used any heated gear for bowhunting. I'm tempted to go and get myself one of the Milwaukee Heated jackets and use it as one of my under layers. I tried one on awhile back and they are not super thick so I don't think it would be that bad to use as a layer. has anyone else used any heated jackets or something similar. I'm looking at the Milwaukee's because they seem like a good reputable company.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    JZ convinced me to get the Milwaukee jacket last season. While I wish the battery and pouch to put it in were of better design, it's an awesome garment. I tagged out fairly early last year so didn't get to use it much but the couple times I had it on I loved it.

3. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome, Can I ask where as far as what layer you put it at? I don't want the sweatshirt because I don't want the hood so the jacket seems better. I was thinking that I would put my coldgear 3.0 on and then a fleece. Then I would put the Milwaukee jacket on with a nice warm sweater over the top to hold it tight. After that, I have my outer camo jacket.

Could you still feel the warmth on low? what battery do you use, I think it only comes with the small compact one

4. ShortBus453

ShortBus453 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I bought a Milwaukee Jacket with hope of using it for hunting, but I ended up using it for other than just hunting. The battery pack placement sucks, but it isn't unmanageable. For this year, Milwaukee came out with a Heated Vest. I bought that and it is already in with all of my late season gear so that it can lose some of its store smell. I plan to wear it as the layer directly preceding my outer layers.

I like the idea of the vest over the jacket, because the sleeves don't have any heat, and seem to cause bulk under other hunting clothes. The power button is in a real good place to work effectively, and the batteries are small enough you can carry extra or get the 18V adapter and be able to run it on high all day on one charge.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wifes cousin said it worked out awesome. 5-6 hrs of heat. Im working on one for this year. Like all things electric i would only expect it to work for a few years but then at least its still a jacket

6. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    they have a vest? I called Milwaukee about a month ago asking if they had a heated vest and they said no haha. The vest sounds even better to get the heat but less bulk. I too was also concerned where the batter was. Is it more towards the back. I'm a treestand hunter and Don't want to have a battery on my lower back making it uncomfortable? If its on the side it would be ok.

Can I ask where you bought the vest from?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  7. ShortBus453

ShortBus453 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  8. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome, I think I'm definitely going to see If I can find one locally first that way I can try it on and get the size I like. Just noticed your in central Wisconsin, I hunt in central Wisconsin as well in the Waupaca/Portage county area. I'll be up in the area this weekend so I might stop at the fleet farm in Waupaca I believe its on hwy 54 and see if they have any. Have you thought about getting the 18v battery? I believe its square but a little bigger. Might not feel so awkward being on your backsize and it would last a lot longer. I found it online for like 30 bucks so I might get that depending if its the same charger and all.

9. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    HBS! Wish I would have gotten one long ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    HBS's are amazing when frigid weather comes and the batter powered vests/coats aren't strong enough.

11. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't wait till I get to bust it out! I only got 2 or 3 sits in it last year.

12. ShortBus453

ShortBus453 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am down in the Green/Rock/Walworth County area (Read SOUTH Central). I have the big (18v) batteries for my tools, so I also have the adapter. I haven't been able to use the heated gear in the field yet (kind of hope I get it done before I need to). I think the HBS would be awesome, but I just cannot justify it at this time for myself.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Waupaca is a Fleet Farm. The link was to Blaines farm and fleet. Online doesn't appear that fleet farm carries them.

14. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Oh gotcha, here i thought they were always the same LOL. I found online that Home Depot carries them so i'll stop to check em out.

15. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a heated vest that I got from Lancaster Archery...it's okay, it is light enough that it is a good layer over my base layer. It definitely isn't enough when it gets bitter cold out, when it is bitter cold, the HBS is awesome. Although I don't use it often in VA, when I do, I can sit all day in comfort when a lot of others freeze.

16. MikeT45

MikeT45 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My girlfriends mother bought me a pair of heated socks for my birthday. Im not sure how well they are going to hold up being I wash and wear socks like crazy.. Does anyone know if you can wash the electric heated gear the same way as everything else? I don't wanna fry them out before they even make it to the woods haha.

17. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Mike,

I know with a bunch of the heated jackets and such like the Milwaukee you can mashine wash them. I'm pretty sure you should be able to wash the socks. ( might be a tag on the inside) otherwise you might be able to find them on the internet to see if they are. I was also skeptical with washing heated products as well but technology has come so far its amazing the stuff we have now-a-days.

18. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad has the Milwaukee jacket and loves it as an under layer. One of these years I'll find myself in a situation to need it and finally justify it!

19. ShortBus453

ShortBus453 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    With the heated gear from Milwaukee and Dewalt, you have to get it when it is available. If you wait until you need it, they are no longer available.

20. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! I love my HBS :rock: