GroundHog Max

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Farmer Brown, May 31, 2016.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone used the GroundHog max for their food plots. I am interested in it but am scared it will break my hitch receiver on my Polaris sportsman 700. Has anyone had experience with either positive thoughts on the groundhog or know of anything that can be done to help my hitch?

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Got a used one. Gonna have my metal fab buddy rig and weld up a solid as H*** mounting for it. Heard great things as long as you don't try to go to deep too fast.

4. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have one and your polaris 700 will be fine. I have mentioned before that the key is make sure your plot is burned off good with gly and that helps a ton. Also as Ty just said, start with the max set higher until you get soil churned a bit. Then you can lower it more. I think they are great for any plot 3/4 of an acre or smaller. If you are planting brassicas, clover or winter rye, I have had great luck just hitting the plot 2 to 3 times with gly. Spreading seed and ferilizer into dead thatch. Run over the plot with your atv tires and the key is do this right before a rain. Scoot

5. Farmer Brown

Dislikes Received:
    Just debating on getting an after market 2" heavy duty receiver or using the kit that the groundhog max comes with.

6. jbahn

jbahn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Get the heavy duty hitch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. jbahn

jbahn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I pull mine with a Honda Foreman 500 and it works very well. Start high and work it lower for best results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have one and have a koplin 2" receiver one Grizzy 550 and have not had any issues with it. I would recommend killing the vegetation first as it breaks it it so much faster if you do. Good luck.

9. Farmer Brown

Dislikes Received:

I am looking at either of these two receivers and wondering which one you would think would take the force of the GHM more. Thanks for the help!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...IlNOJYgBytI-Tji8l-U14B0qHF3FXHzcj4aAhSO8P8HAQ

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

The second one is exactly the one I have and its did not budge after doing 4 - 1/2 acres plots last year. One of those plots I did not kill the grass first and it took almost all day to finish. 20 miles worth of driving in circles. When you install it just don't torque it down too much because you will run the risk of collapsing the tubes. Its pretty heavy duty. Not as aesthetically pleasing as the first one but it has held up pretty well. I didn't go with the first one because I was concerned that the mount points might be weaker. The Koplin one has 4 U-Bolts. Just check them after the first use to make sure its still snug.

Also I take a set of ramps with me. I back the ATV up on them and then set the level of the disks. Then after that point I use the 4 wheel drive to move it around.