Cheaper Compound Bows

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Thwackthwackthwack, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Thwackthwackthwack

Thwackthwackthwack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey just wondering,

Have any of the fellas on here tried a cheaper bow. I shoot a RedHead Toxik XT and find hat it shoots very well. I also heard that it was made by Bowtech. I have taken a deer with it and that's all I really ask of my bow. In my opinion it shoots much better than the PSE's I shot previously and only ran me about $400 CN. Let me know what you think

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Who cares what it costs as long as you are happy with it. Some of the more expensive bows cost more because of how its made. Cast aluminum risers versus machined risers being one of them.

3. Thwackthwackthwack

Thwackthwackthwack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What would be the effective difference between the two in action? Durability?

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, not sure if there really would be a difference other than the feel. I've owned less expensive bows and the only real noticible difference to me was how the draw was. The thing with bows these days is every person is going to give you a different opinion. Maybe someone else can chime in on the differences that would know more about it.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a lot of difference between different kinds of "cheap" bows.

There is the cheaply made bow that uses machined risers, bushings instead of bearings, cheap strings, etc. They will most likely shoot well when new but I question their longevity.

Then there is my personal favorite category. The former flagship. Old stock of high end bows that they are trying to clear out of inventory. These can be found usually in the middle of a manufacturer's line up or at a discount reseller if they have been discontinued all together.

6. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry about cost if your happy that's all that matters. Even McDonald's is a gourmet meal to a homeless person. Some people (myself include ) get burned on buying a lesser expensive product and only lasting so long. For me I just got back into shooting after some time off. My old bow went through 2 sets of strings and other parts. This time around I'm able to afford a little more but I also try to shoot 4 nights a week indoors and out so I was looking for longevity.

7. Thwackthwackthwack

Thwackthwackthwack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I see, all makes sense. I will look into the 'former flagship' next time i purchase a new bow, as I'm sure the top-of-the-line deer killers from several years ago will still take deer just fine. Thank You!

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IF the bow fits you and you can shoot it accurately then that's all that matters. I do have that get a new bow bug but that is coming to an end as I get older. The differences are usually in feel, the ease of tuning and looks. On a higher end bow the finish should be more pristine, mill work on components should be cleaner and tolerances tighter. Sometimes they come with accessories like limb dampeners installed and name brand strings.

Its easy to get caught up in the name brands but at the end of the day if you practice a $300 bow will kill just as quick as a $800. One just may look a little better :tu: Kinda like a chevette and a corvette both will get you to work

9. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't own one or have shot one, but the Mission Ballistic 2.0 is a sweet looking little bow...I wouldn't mind having one as a handy tree stand or blind bow myself. There are tons of people out there getting it done without the "flagship" bows.

10. smellbuds

smellbuds Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Walmart special as my bow. Now I have never owned a bow but I know that this one is a "cheap" one but I like it so far. This is going to be my first year bow hunting but practicing with it is very comfortable. I can put 3 arrows in about a 3 inch circle at 25 yards so I figure that is good enough. I think the bow is called the Vortex or something like that. The arrows go all the way through the block as well so I figure the penetration is enough as well. Eventually I want to get a "good" bow but if this works I am going to use it till it breaks or my son gets big enough to use it.

IMG_4237.jpg

11. cjoh101

cjoh101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro and love it. I walked out the door with the bow (fully set up), release, arrows, field tips, and broadheads for about $500. Its the first bow I've owned, and when my son gets bigger I can pass it on to him. I just started shooting a bow in November and I've had to replace nocks and fletching on some of my arrows, because this bow is that accurate. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a cheap parker bow. I shoot it well.wish I could have a nicer bow but mine current bow will do.

13. rta308

rta308 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a Mission Hype DT. Not the most expensive but it shoots well and I like it. It is a very smooth bow to draw and accurate to. It works for me so that's all that matters to me.

14. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what your perception of cheap is I guess. I shot the bow tech Carbon Knight the first 2.5 years bow hunting and it did very well for me. shot 2 bucks and about half a dozen turkey and it was great. I paid $550 for the bare bow. Considering that's half what the top end bows cost, I'd say it was cheap but you can also get in the $250 - $300 range too. The shooter makes the bow, not the other way around.

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

This is a true and honest fact!

The marketing agency hired by the bow manufacturers don't want you to believe it though.

16. Stephen09

Stephen09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Diamond Infinite Edge. Once i customized it its been a great bow. I feel like most of todays economy bows are two and three years agos flagship bows. or at least the same technology. My advice is if you buy a so called cheap bow just make sure you have good accessories that won't fail you in the field. I had to replace my peep as well as buy a better site. Since then My infinite edge has been excellent.

17. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My first bow was a browning I bought on craigslist for $50 and was also the wrong hand but I used it anyway. Shot pretty good. I then bought a pse stinger for like $300 brand new. To now a Bear Domain. I will say the $50 browning shot a lot better than the pse did and my bear domain shoots pretty nice. What ive noticed shooting the more expensive bows though is that apart from having higher quality parts and construction the draw cycles are what usually sets them apart, as well as being quieter.

18. preacherman

preacherman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just ordered the 2.0, should be here any day.

19. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ill post my little story here. For years my father has been working with our local archery shop giving the owner deals on boats and he gives us deals on bows. When I outgrew my very first bow (dont remember what it was I was 7) I got a new used bow from the shop. After growing out of that I got the Mission UX2 this bow I shot for about 4-5 years. It is a wonderful bow. I outgrew it after about 2 years though but being in highschool I didnt have the money, and my dad didnt want to buy me a new bow because he was getting new ones ( also im a lefty and my dad was a righty so he couldnt pass it down). I started saving for my own bow now im 19 and I had the UX2 for 6 years, I just bought a Mathews Z7 Extreme and absolutly love it. My girlfriend shoots my UX2 and she does very well if I do say so myself. I bought my Z7Xtreme for $600 fully loaded with everything that is in my signature. I spent another $250-300 on setting up the cams to my length new strings, and new small diameter arrows and broadheads. I am extremely happy with my purchase, and would do it all over again if I had to.

20. blacksheep570

blacksheep570 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a diamond infinite edge pro and even though it's my first bow, I am absolutely happy with it. The adjustability is a huge bonus