Best target for me?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by engedj03, Jun 14, 2016.

1. engedj03

engedj03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Full Metal Jackets with rage practice tips. The diameter of the practice tip is larger than the diameter of the arrow shaft. What is the best target to get? I really like my rage tips as I see no difference in flight path between practice tip and broadhead, so I do not want to change, but I do not want to destroy a target. At this point price is not an issue as I want a target that will pay for itself over the years. I have shot at a Rinehart before, but not a lot. Will the rage tips rip them apart? Also I wouldn't think it is a huge issue, but the diameter difference, will that rip a Rinehart apart? Thanks for your feedback

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the block. It only lasts a few seasons but arrows are easy to pull out.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Every arrow that I have used with a larger diameter than the shaft in any of the "self-healing targets" has done damage. I am a big fan of the Spyderweb targets for all of my indoor shooting but a setup like you have described will not be a good combination. Outside I have used about everything and the only one that I would NEVER buy again is a Blob target. The only thing that I felt like I wasted some of my hard earned archery money on. Each of the targets have their plusses and minuses.

4. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think if you use a field point bigger diameter then the arrow on any target it will tear it up faster then the same diameter of tip and arrow. It will also be a lot harder to remove from the target.I bought a big shooter buck and would not recommend it. started blowing chunks out the first week.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't go wrong with the Rinehart 18-1. I shoot everything at it, except my Magnus turkey broad heads, and it has performed very well. It has a warranty if you shoot all 18 sides and can bury the arrow past the fletching, they'll replace it for free. It lasts longer than the foam targets and stays in place pretty well on it's own. $125 - $135 on Amazon.

6. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will second the Rinehart 18-1 target. I have had mine for 2yrs and it has held up to everything i throw at it. to me the warranty on it is useless seeing that all 18 sides have to be shot out for them to replace it and its only a 1yr warranty. i still like the target though

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The 18 - 1 is a very good target but it will, like all of the others, get destroyed quickly by an arrow with a tip larger than the shaft.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If there is no difference in flight between the practice broadheads and field points, then why not switch to field points and save a bunch of expensive wear and tear on the target?

Shoot the broadheads just enough times to tune the bow and then switch tips.

To answer the thread's question, I haven't found a target yet that will last me more than a couple of months. My next target will be an 18-1. It shows the most promise for longevity of all the back yard targets I've seen/tried.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the same setup for 5 years now. I have been shooting my Rhinehart 18:1 for 4 years now and it is still going strong.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  10. Deerhunter 28

Deerhunter 28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This^^^^^^
    If you want the best target on the market call this guy.

[​IMG]

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you go through the 18-1 in a couple months I'll be impressed. It's stupid durable even with shooting broad heads A LOT! I know someone can wear it out and cash in on the warranty but you have to shoot A LOT!!!!! Good luck!

12. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot into compressed hay and it works for me