Best climber stands for public land?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Adamjjf, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Adamjjf

Adamjjf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. I'm looking to do some public land hunting this fall and wondered if you had a recommendation for a climber tree stand.

As of right now I'm looking at the Lone Wolf stands and wondered A.) If I'm looking at the right maker. and 2.) If a climber is the best way to go for public land (read, setting up/removing for every hunt).
    Thoughts?

2. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lone wolf is excellent, I love my climber. You might also want to look into a hang on and climbing sticks from lone wolf. It will give you a lot more option when it comes to trees. A climber requires a straight tree with no limbs. If you get a hang on also get the stick quiver that attaches to the stand to carry the climbing sticks. There are some great you tube videos on both.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would not hunt with anything other than my LW sit and climb. Been using one for 13 years now. I also have the LW Assault hang-on with sticks, but use my climber almost exclusively.

4. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Summit.

5. MNbernie

MNbernie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well how big of a guy are you? I ask because I'm a large framed individual. I have the summit Goliath it has a bigger seat and platform and I absolutely love it. Most comfortable seat ever I can sit for hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ICSFreak

ICSFreak Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a summit viper. I have had this stand for 4 seasons, everything on it still looks good. I leave in the woods through hunting season, the rubber coating around the cable is a little ate up that's about it. overall this stand is the best one. I will get another when the time comes. don't chince out. in the hunting world I am a strong believer in "you get what you pay for".

7. ICSFreak

ICSFreak Newb

Dislikes Received:
    worth the cash huh? I been toying around with the idea of getting a nice hang on. they look like they are put together well, I haven't had the pleasure of fondling one.

8. pinkman16

pinkman16 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I pose the same question as adamjjf. Anyone have any reviews of the xstand xscape compared to LW and summit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same situation. I've always hunted private land with ladder stands or blinds. I'm going to try more public sites this season. I'm leaning towards an Assault hand climber after seeing this review: Lone Wolf Assualt Hand Climber Combo - YouTube. It looks compact and pretty simple to operate.

10. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go with the Lone Wolf Assault Hand Climber. I love that climber, compact, light, quiet.

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple climbers. An old API which is pretty heavy if you are going to take it very far but it is Lazy-Boy comfortable. I also have a LW sit and climb. It is great for packing long distances and also very comfortable. I definitely use the LW more due to the distance I carry it.

12. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an older model Summit Viper, It is about 21 pounds but with good carry straps it is not that bad. Once your setup your glad your in it because they are nice and comfortable and they are solid up in the tree.

I use my summit climber if i'm doing a quick hunt to do more observing than actually moving in to the "right" tree. But if i find an area that I know a buck is living or its the rut and i want to make sure i'm in a good tree with good cover then I will almost always use my lone wolf sticks with a hang on.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  13. pinkman16

pinkman16 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No xstand xscapes? Anyone?

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't need to "get another", because the only thing that goes on a LW is the bushings, and that's after extensive use. My stand is 13 years old now, and I honestly don't see me ever having to replace it. I did invest in the XL traction belts (larger trees), which gives me a back up set. The LW really is worth the extra money.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  15. Bubby D

Bubby D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a summit viper which imo is the way to go with climbers. I also just purchased a hawk hangon.... I got the helium xl with helium sticks. 12lb stand and 4 sticks shipped for about 300. Hard to beat and everything seems to be well built.

16. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely Summit

17. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    big +1 for summit viper I love mine, and have to carry it plus my gear up and down some very steep grades

18. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year with a Lone Wolf. I have the Wide Sit and Climb. I was hesitant with the price, but wait til you get it in hand. It's awesome and the craftsmanship is great.

I have been practicing with it and can tell you, moving around during hunts or for every hunt, it will be dead quiet. There is zero noise sitting, standing or flipping up the seat. It climbs real easy and I find it comfortable.

19. pinkman16

pinkman16 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is there room to put a third hand bow holder on the wide sit n climb?

20. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a summit viper, like it, killed my biggest buck out of it, but think I would've rather had a lighter climber with no front bar. Sticks+hang on combo is great, but definitely isn't as quick or quiet to get settled IMO.