Assault 2 vs Alpha 2.

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Shocker99, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dead set on Lone Wolf hang on. Question is whether the bigger platform on the alpha outweighs the lighter weight of the assault. I am primarily going to use this set for run n gun public hunting so the 11 lb assault sounds good. I sometimes walk a couple miles. The 14lb alpha isnt bad either but by the time you add the sticks its getting back up to that 20lb mark. Has anyone on here hunted from both that could throw in 2 cents?

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted the assault on run and gun public land, and have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the alpha and love its size. If I had to walk in a mile I might consider adding the assault due to all the extra weight I carry with camera gear. I do love the platform on the alpha.

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Alpha but haven't used the assault. I never wanted to sacrifice comfort for a few pounds. You could shave weight in other areas.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer my alpha over my assault.

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I don't have any idea where I am going to sit and know its going to be a long haul I strip down to the bare minimum. I'll use my Assault in place of the Alpha, take 3 sticks instead of 4 and ditch all the rest of the non-essentials in my pack. My hunts are typically relatively short with this type of hunting. 3-4 hours in the tree at most. The smaller platform doesn't bother me. Shedding that 10-15 Lbs of extra gear makes a big difference especially if you have been in "training" with it for most of the season.

7. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Assault only and wouldn't want anything else. This is my first year using Lone Wolf and absolutely love it. I have done some all day sits with my assault and see no need for anything bigger, but that's just me. I hate packing extra gear weight if I don't have to.

8. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I opted for the Assault for the same reasons--the smaller size was not "that" much smaller, and the lighter weight is a benefit for carrying and hoisting, especially for those of us who can't leave their stand in the tree all season.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Assault and love it. I wear size 12 boots and have zero issue with the smaller platform. It really bothers some guys, but never bothered me.

10. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check with lone wolf. They had a sale last week for a combo pack. I got the stand, 4 sticks and the quiver for a little over $400. They might still sell you it. The president is the guy who actually answered the phone to take the order.

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I much prefer the Alpha, but I do have an Assault for my run/gun setup.

While the extra space is nice on the Alpha, the real reason I like it is because there are often times I'm in a tree where there are odd limbs, crowned trunks, etc. The extra space gives you more options for your footing when shooting in/around situations like that.

12. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a alpha with three sticks. Have a waist pack aswell. It perfect for my half day sets.sometimes I do wish I had a fourth stick.

13. T FERG

T FERG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go with the assault for run and gun.

14. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input. I think since I'm not an extra large guy anyway I'll go with the assault. Does the stick quiver attach to the assault as well? If so I'm sold indefinitely. I did a line measurement on hunt stand of the last setup I did. It was 2.4 miles and it wasn't the easiest terrain. My summit python weighs around 18# I think and with a 10ft hooyman and backpack I'm probably close to 30#. I've gotten screwed this year so many times not being able to climb into the tree I wanted to be in. I'm not too much of a weeny to carry the weight, it's a matter of perspiration.

15. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The quiver will fit on any Lone Wolf stand. They are the same except for the platforms.

16. kennyg

Dislikes Received:
    The Alpha, quiver, and sticks weighs 25lbs almond with 2 neoprene slings as shoulder straps.

17. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    OK so the assault is 3lbs lighter than the alpha which will make it around that 20lb mark. Looks like I'll be around the same or little heavier than my climber buy the payoff I guess will be getting into a much more available selection of trees. I got skunked twice this year, watching a Giant and another respectable buck walk 10yds from trees I wanted to be in but couldn't with climber. Granted I still would have had to be undetected , and pull off the shot but I'm confident both would be at the taxidermist if I would have had a lonewolf.

18. kennyg

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the same situation. That's why I picked up the lone wolf combo. I'll take the extra 3 pounds because when I go to this area I'm usually doing all day sits during the rut. Get it now for next year as it has taken me some time getting a routine down for pack up. I haven't even used mine for hunting yet but every time I take my dogs to the woods down the street for a run I pack my stand and do a climb just to work out some bugs. I did get some cloth tape and covered my sticks and buckles makes a huge difference in noise control.

19. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I opted for the assault 4 sticks and the quiver for my run and gun. If I had to do it all over again I would buy the assault again, but sometimes the extra room on the stand would be nice. It does get a little tight, but not enough to change my mind. weigh out your PERSONAL scales to pros and cons and you will have your decision.

20. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad this thread popped up. I'm in the same boat of deciding between the two stands. I love my Viper, but I get into some spots where the climber and trees don't agree.

With the four sticks how high does that put you in a tree?