Yes another broad head question. Grim Reaper

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by biscuit, Jan 25, 2017.

1. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody shoot these this past season? The reason I ask is because I bought a pack back in 07 and shot the crap out of them into an old broad head target until they all failed, unfourtunatly I never had the opportunity to actually hunt with them. Seeing that they have come out the a never fail safe type cross bow compound version I'm gonna buy a pack and turkey hunt with them. They flew great from my Reezen, and my old Outback, but I have never put one into live game. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Brad

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    GRs are the only head I have ever been unable to group- including numerous fixed blade models. My bows are tuned well and shoot everything else just fine. I've bought and tested many different models/weights of GRs and none of them were any good. They are all over the place at even shorter distance. Also had several blades snap on block targets (esp. the 2" WT specials.)

There's a few big name heads out there I won't shoot due to durability or just preference; but I've never had grouping issues with any save GRs.

Sorry, but you asked.

Rangerdan likes this.
  3. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's crazy! I've pretty much only shot Grimm Reapers in the past three years and have had massive success. I shoot the 3 blade full mechanical (not the 2") and this past season I shot the hybrids. None of my deer have made it farther than 40 yards and the wound channels have been solid. I get pass thrus and haven't had one break yet.

Even used one yesterday on a rabbit

Setup is #70 Matthews heli-m
    110gr Grimm's
    Bemam ICS arrows

Sorry to hear yall have had bad experiences.

4. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used them for the past 4 years and have never let me down or broke. They group just like my field points and killed this guy last year and maybe ran 50 yards.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

killer chill-r likes this.
  5. HunterGrant

HunterGrant Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My friend swears by them, always uses them when he's out

6. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot'em last year & the did as advertised!! The doe hit the ground right at the 35yrd mark. Massive damage, busted bone & cut up the heart pretty good. She was quartering towards me. Xcentric 7, 67#, 482gr fmj @ 21yrds. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used them in the past, no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Which head are you using? I have used the Grim Reapers in the past and was happy with their performance on whitetails. I have only seen them fail once and honestly still don't believe the details surrounding it.

A guy one year in bear camp shot a bear at 20 yards and got little to no penetration. The bear was recovered and shot verified. It was explained that the hair on a bear binds the blades up and causes this. I'm still thinking he got some sort of deflection or something but the hunter was saying no. The shot was spot on and he was shooting a Elite E32 @70lbs and 29" draw length.

Interesting story but if you like them shoot them with confidence. I have never had one fail. I you do your part they certainly will do theirs.