Lifelines

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by kurveball18, Nov 21, 2016.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

Next season I want to have a few tree sticks with lifeline stand ropes setup prior to season so all I have to do is go in with my hang on. Right now the most popular ones are the HSS Lifelines but I was curious if there are other options that are less expensive to save some money. If I have to spend the 40 per lifeline I will but would like to know all my options first.

Can I make my own to save money? I know you need a certain type of static rope to handle the sudden shock of a fall but just would like your opinions and some other options.

Thank you,

2. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I looked around, but ended up buying two HSS lifelines. I couldn't find any other version that was as reflective as the HSS line--that "feature" really makes it easy to find your tree in the dark!

Good luck.

3. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have made my own, BUT to get quality rope is expensive.
    So dont fool yourself thinking youll save a ton of money making them yourself.

You could do it really cheap with rope from lowes or home depot but just consider how high you are and if you were to fall do you want to leave it up to a budget rope?

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  5. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like Copperhead said, buy a 3 pack, best price per line. Sell one to a friend if you don't need all 3.

6. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buy the HSS line. They are better quality. I have 2 HSS, 4 muddys and another brand that I don't remember and the HSS are the nicest of them. The Muddy and the other brand have a sort of sheath that can get bunched up above or below the prussik knot making it really a pain to slide up and down the rope. You should jump on that 3-$80 deal. I think I might too.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That 3 for $80 is a GREAT deal. Heck, I may even buy a few more for myself!

I have about 50/50 reflective and non-reflective. I love the reflective ones for areas deep in the timber where I know nobody else is going to be. I don't like them as much for field edges or places someone may "happen" upon my stand. They're extremely bright and can be seen from a long way off - especially once the leaves are down. I found one of Tommy's stands in the middle of the woods from probably 150 yards away.

8. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. The only reason I was thinking about buying cheaper ones made for the same purpose was because I hunt mostly public land but spots that are farther in away from most people. Being public we all know they still can get stolen so just thought if there was any way to save a few bucks but still get quality.

1 spot in particular that I want to have one is my main rut stand but I usually don't put my treestick up until mid-end of October. That way when I hunt hard during the rut I have another safety measure.

9. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the price you might want to consider a different strategy. It's one I started to deploy this year. I also hunt a lot of public land.

Sticks seem to be more expensive than stands (depending on brand). So, I started to invest in multiple tree stands and two sets of 4 sticks. You can start with just one set of sticks if on a budget. I put the stands at the locations I plan to hunt (chained and locked) with HSS life line and draw rope (made from paracord). This allows me to just bring sticks which are light and easy to hang. With two sets (8 sticks), you can afford to have three stands and leave the highest 2 sets in with each tree (of course you risk them getting stolen). Then you only have to bring 2 steps and you can hunt any of the stands on any given day.

Can also have your climber on reserve for any mobile hunts.

As Justin pointed out, the refelctive life lines are nice for locating your stand however, a pain on public land. I have three reflective and one non. I would trade the reflective for non-reflective if I could.

10. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Thats similar to what I do I just like the sticks as they arent as obvious as a stand to me. This season I just had 1 spot preset. I had 4 sticks attached to the tree so when I wanted to hunt it all i had to do was bring my Hang on stand. Climb up and strap the stand on and hunt. The only thing I want to add is my lifeline to prevent an accident when climbing up and in/out of the stand. I also plan on getting 2 more sets of sticks for 2 other spots that are deeper in so i'm thinking I'll get the pack of 3 like other guys mentioned. I'd prefer to get the ones without the reflective stuff in the rope though.

I also have 4 lone wolf sticks that I use when i do more of a run and gun type setup in a different spot. I just like having the sticks up in my known good stands that I know i'll be putting time in or its a long hike so i have less to carry and less work to get up the tree.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016