4 wheeler pulls hard right

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by robert.gamboa.79, Oct 23, 2016.

1. robert.gamboa.79

robert.gamboa.79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 2001 foreman rubicon 4x4. It is pulling very hard to the right. Any thoughts?

Tie Rods and ball joints are a little worn but not horrible. New wheel bearings, alignment done per clymer manual.

I was told that it may be a bad cv axle?

2. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    The simple one first, are the tire correctly inflated? ATV tires don't sit on the rim when low or flat.

Good luck
    MOBU

3. robert.gamboa.79

robert.gamboa.79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently put new bearings on front and did brake job on front brakes. Tire pressure was equal on all 4 tires.

I assumed that problem was in the front somewhere so I double checked all my work and if all seemed fine, jacked up quad on stands and ran it to see what wheels were doing and all 4 were turning just fine and seemed to be good. ( my machine is full time 4wd)

running out of ideas quickly. Doing some online research I found people saying that one of my wheels in rear may be turning faster than the other which would cause the machine to want to turn to one side?

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was it pulling prior to your bearing / brake job?

5. robert.gamboa.79

robert.gamboa.79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No. that's the scary part. Lol. I looked over all my work and everything looks fine. I was thinking a bad cv axle but it's not making any weird noises or clicking. If rides smooth but tries to ride in big circles because it pulls so hard right

6. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check for a sticky brake caliper on the right front

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

7. robert.gamboa.79

robert.gamboa.79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I just completely took part my front end again and I checked out the cv axles very carefully.
    One boot has a small tear and they both are securely attached and are very smooth and have no excessive play.

Double checked my brakes. And they are adjusted to perfection and engage and release as they should when I apply the brake.
    The tie Rods and ball joints are a little worn but don't have much play in them.
    Put everything back together and double checked alignment and it looks great and straight when I have it jacked, when I lower the atv the tires seem to have a slight camber.

Still drives and pulls hard right.

I also jacked up the atv and ran it on jack stands to see if all 4 tires turned properly, (everything looked great and the front tires turned at the same speed)

My next thought is to shotgun parts at it. Thinking about getting all new tie Rods and ball joints

8. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

Dislikes Received:
    How big is the tear and is it the right boot?....if it is and it's big enough to allow mud and dirt in I would check to see if the boot is full...also what about control arm bushings...nice and tight?...just trying to pass along some ideas...hard to diag with no visual

9. MOBU

MOBU Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the left of my printer(Prairie Farm WI)
    Is it possible you swapped tire left for right?

One thing to check is the direction of rotation the tires are marked for. Look for a small arrow on the sidewall of the tires.

10. robert.gamboa.79

robert.gamboa.79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The tear is about an inch long and there is still plenty of grease in there no mud that I can see control arms seem fine but i will double check.

Thanks for all the help.

A buddy did tell me to triple check tire pressure and to maybe try to swap the tires around right to left. I will double check the rotation direction.

11. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'd have a hard time believing its pure coincidence that the problem arose after your initial work on the quad yet doesn't in some way have a direct correlation. Something you did (or didn't do) is causing the problem.

My Dad always used to say.... where were yer hands last?? It proved to be true 99.9% of the time. ymmv

A couple years ago a buddy of mine had just bought a new (to him) truck. We were headed to NM for a bear hunt the following week. He decided to replace the nerf bars before we left. The truck began to run funny while on our hunt to the point of leaving us stranded a couple times. Very intermittent problem though. He began throwing money at the problem, replaced a couple senors, dropped in a new fuel pump, etc, all while missing out on days of the hunt. I recited my fathers quote to him only to have him scoff at me... He ended up limping the truck back to KS....

A week later he was back to turning wrenches trying to figure out the problem... When he replaced the nerf bars there was a ground wire that attached to one of the bolts on said bars. It was loose and losing the ground from time to time. It was the ground for his fuel pump... I still remind him of the $1000 he blew and the hunt he missed while he scoffed and gave no regard to my suggestions because "this couldn't have anything to do with those nerf bars" lmao

Unrelated story I know but you get my point :) Good luck

12. robert.gamboa.79

robert.gamboa.79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Your probably right. I most likely did something wrong. I just wish I could figure out what that was. Lol

13. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

Dislikes Received:
    If tires and all else checks out I'd lean back toward your alignment that you did....and i did see you mention it....FYI if you lift it up and then let it down sitting there it will look like caster/camber is off....you need to roll it forward or backwards and turn the wheels a couple times to set the suspension then check measurements

14. robert.gamboa.79

robert.gamboa.79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I swapped tires from left to right and no change. I took it for long extensive test drive and noticed that it does not pull left or right when in driving in reverse.

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Drive it for a bit in reverse and then go forward and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

16. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    make sure to do all alignmet adjustments with the weight on the ground when you raise it all the angles change so you cant set it right.....also could be a torque pull from too much negative camber ...if the left side looks like its leaning inward try to adjust it more to the outward and reset the toe and see how it drives

17. robert.gamboa.79

robert.gamboa.79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I think I found it but I'm not sure how to fix it. Righ upper a arm has been replaced previously. Saw that the back attach point for the upper a arm is bent and has been straightened and welded on.

Took some reference points off the frame and measured to the center of the upper ball joint on A arm. Half inch difference between left and right. Not sure how to fix that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. robert.gamboa.79

robert.gamboa.79 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    VICTORY!!!!

Got it fixed. It took some "hammer massaging and some leverage but I got the a arm to match the left side. After that put it together, re did alignment on the ground and test ride.

Rides good and straight! Thank you for all the help guys

I believe that doing the alignment on the ground made a huge difference. Good call Martin!