What piece of equpiment would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by AAA, Jul 3, 2016.

1. AAA

AAA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is one (or more than one) piece of equipment that you've added to your hunting "tool box" that you'd recommend to other hunters and why? It could be a specific tree stand that's made your hours on stand more comfortable, a headlamp that you've been impressed with, or even a brand of lighted nocks that are reliable. I find it easy to spend money on bow hunt gear and like many i'm always trying to improve my hunting experience. Plus i might have cabelas gift card burning a hole in my wallet.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure but I have never had a problem with a rage broad head, or had a nocturnal nock fail to light up. Those two products get ripped on regularly but I have never had a problem.

3. archer#5

archer#5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have added a Bushnell Truth range finder to my equipment list this year. As I get older (and I still hunt and shoot as much as I always have) I seem to misjudge yardage more than I used to. My new range finder will give me the true straight line distance and also calculates the shoot for distance. I have a new Tru-Glo Range Rover adjustable pin and with the new Bushnell Truth range finder I can dial in my shot with confidence. I like how the range finder will say the straight line distance may be lets say 40 yards but it may tell you to shoot it for 37 yards and it will be right on the money. A lot of people think that this is cheating but I think that it makes me a more ethical hunter.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The hunting tool that I absolutely use the most, throughout the year would be my binoculars. I saved for a long time and finally got a pair of Swarovskis. Best hunting investment I have ever made.

5. joshcalhoun18

joshcalhoun18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My slick trick broadheads, my vortex binos, my hha single pin, and my leupold range finder!

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Millenium Treestand. The M100U is light and very mobile or the M50 for a permanent setup. They are by far the Most Comfortable Treestands on the market. I have sat in mine for over 10 hours before.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you like the bushnell truth? There's one locally on cl for $120 new in box. Also cabelas has it on sale with a pair of binos for $169. Wanted to get the vortex 1000 but don't have a few hundred to spend. Been buying too much other crap lol. It's toss up between the Truth or the Nixon acculon

8. archer#5

archer#5 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shopped around and compared several different models and feature for feature the Truth range finder to me was the best deal. The reviews that I read on it were all very good. They now have a new feature called the ARC that is supposed to let you know if there are obstacles that are in the flight path (ARC) of your arrow. A friend of mine has one of the Leupold range finders and actually tried to trade me and offered a little boot to sweeten the deal. I don't know if he was serious but I wouldn't trade him.

9. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Besides my release, the one thing I don't go hunting without is my Primos Buck Roar. No kiddin. I've called in a bunch of bucks with that thing.

I'm trying Nockturnals this season. I'll let you know how it goes.

10. AAA

AAA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I have seriously debated buying the M100U. It's everything they're hyped to be? I like the idea of buying multiple brackets and being able to easily and quickly move your stand from one hunt to the next. Did you feel the need to have to add a extra strap around the bottom to further secure the stand to the tree?

11. AAA

AAA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with ya there. I've used the 2 blade rage chisel tips the last few years and have only positive things to say about them. The nocturnal nocks will be something new i'll add.

12. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    after years of hunting with an overstuffed buttpack, picked up an ALPS PURSUIT X backpack last fall and its the ticket for full day spot and stalk / still hunting with a bow. Fits snuggly and no problem shooting a bow accurately wearing it. Holds everything needed (rain gear, extra clothes, food, water bladder, spare release, gloves, etc) to stay out full days hunting regardless of the weather. second new item from last fall was the carbomask face paint...works great, comes off easy, and no smell. highly recommend both.

13. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The rangefinder n binos advice is solid. Good binos are invaluable bad ones give you a headache. Rangefinders speak for themselves

14. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since returning to compounds from many years shooting/hunting with recurves, I have been on a mission to find the best affordable gear that fits my style of bowhunting. Two items that have really been great are the Stan SX3 release and Leupold rangefinder. Of course release brand and type is very subjective, but after hearing so much about Stan releases over the years, finally getting one and figuring out the hype was true was an eye-opener. While I do not typically range deer while I am hunting, I use my Leupold RX750 (discontinued for the RX800) to confirm distance to various spots around my stands/groundblinds for future reference when game is in range. It has been 100% reliable for the 3+ years I have owned it and is still on the original battery.

15. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    good binos, reliable broadheads (I prefer Spitfire Maxx), and a good day pack.

16. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, Absolutely. The best, most comfortable stand there is hands down. It comes with a secondary strap. You set the stand in bracket, bring the platform partially down, snug the second strap, then pull the platform the rest of the way tightening the strap and locking it in.

17. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the market for a new stand as well. I love the seat and how comfortable it is but i really do not like the way it locks to the tree. Plus if i remember correctly, it uses a heavy chain? I watched Youtube videos and from what I can tell most guys are getting a 2nd strap to secure the bottom of the stand after you slide it in the bracket. To me, you shouldnt have to buy another strap. Unless i'm missing something????

18. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat. I saved for several years to buy me a set of Leica's. I've had them for well over 12 years. Still amazing optics. I couldn't imagine if they went south on me. I've looked up their price now. :eek2:

19. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They come with chains and it works well especially if you want to throw a lock on it, but its a little cumbersome to attach. Get the ratchet strap and your good to go. It also comes with the second strap, its the same style that many ladder sticks use. You don't have to cinch it tight, just snug, then lower the platform the rest of the way and it tightens itself. They're pretty solid when your done.

20. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Has to be the Thermacell.

Life saver and game changer for scouting early season and for those early season sits.