Trophy Ridge HX or HXL

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by BB4tw, May 31, 2016.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody here use one of these rests or know someone that does? I'm especially interested in the HXL because I haven't tried a limb driven rest yet.

They look like a solid built, simple mechanism rest but reviews are hard to come by.

Ike's Outdoor did a review on Youtube and he had good things to say about the HXL but I'm not sure that I've ever seen him do a negative review on anything.

I'm looking to change things up again. Been shooting my Whisker Biscuit for a while and now have my QAD Hunter on. I just can't seem to leave things well enough alone when it comes to my bow and accessories.

2. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: that is quite a true statement haha

3. theleo

theleo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's essentially a Limb Driver Pro-V. Lots to like if you're not a guy that gets hung up on the idea of the arrow being in the cocked and locked position so many people just have to have. I only shoot limb driven rests but the only advantage to me is setting them up. Screw it to your bow, set your center shot, attach the cable to your limb, and make your minor adjustments to paper tune it. No worrying about if it's timed correctly or if the launcher is bouncing back up and contacting the vanes. They're just easy to setup. If your QAD is already setup and shooting bullet holes spend your money on more arrows or broad heads.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You make some pretty good points, theleo.

I never have liked the QAD Hunter all that well. It's their cheap model and it feels like it. Mostly plastic. I just can't put my faith in it.

Every time I've tried a drop away so far I've ended up going back to the trusty, tried and true Whisker Biscuit. There's a pretty fair chance that the same thing will happen if I try a limb driven rest. I'm tempted to try one none the less.

I would probably be better off spending my money on something more practical like arrows and broadheads where is the fun in that?

5. theleo

theleo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Because you can always torture test broad heads to the point they break. If you buy the rest and don't like it, it's just more clutter. I find fun in breaking things I don't like from time to time.

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Back on topic. Has anybody tried the Trophy Ridge HXL?

7. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last week I bought a Nap Apache on Tuesday to replace my WB - had a state qualifier on Sunday. The cable driven gave me fits for one thing and the top load messed with my arrow loading routine. The WB loads 10-11 o'clock and the Apache loaded at noon and my HHA was in the way.

On Thursday I bought a QAD. The shop thinks I may have gotten a defective one but I didn't have time to try a second one. The string to the down cable was perfectly aligned with the timing marks and the fork would not go flat after the shot and wore my fletchings out. I put in a smidge of slack and tried barely too much tension and it was a no go. I could nudge it with my finger to go flat, but it wouldn't under a normal shot situation.

I worked on that QAD all Thursday, most of Friday and all of Saturday until about 2 hrs of daylight left. Last two hours I put my WB back on since I was set to shoot at 8AM the next morning. I was unhappy because I was having the same problem that led me to ditching the WB to begin with.

I wanted to try limb driven and set my sites on a TT Smackdown Pro. According to the website Gander had it in stock and was open until 9:30. They just sold their last but had a TruGlo Updraft in stock. It's basically a Smackdown copy, but I had no idea of its quality.

I get home about 10:00PM and attach it to the bow. Timing was a no brainer but too dark to shoot. I get up extra early and shoot about 6 arrows before leaving and shoot about 6 more at the warm up target before walking the trail. Obviously I didn't have the time to fine tune my center shot, etc. At least I had no fletching contact and it was performing like it should.

I'd meant for this $60 rest to be a bridge to get by until I picked up the $130 Smackdown, but I have about 400 arrows thru it now and shooting better than I ever have. It's all machined AL and seems to be well made so I'm sticking with it and if the workmanship stays like it has, I'm sticking with it.

It took me a bit to go drop away, but now that I have I'm firmly in the limb driven camp.