Best hunting bibs for Bowhunting

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by steigym, May 31, 2016.

1. steigym

steigym Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for a pair of bibs that I can wear up until end of November that's not overly heavy where i'd need to pack them in. I'm torn between the Scent Blocker Outfitter with built in harness, Under Armour Ayton, Storm, or Cold Gear with Infra Red, or possibly the Sitka Fanatic which would match my jacket.

Does anyone have experience with any of these? I like the Scent Blocker with harness but nowhere around me carries them to try on and I'm worried if I buy online they are not what I need them to be. The scent blocker site is confusing as to how warm the warm bibs are. There's the Recon and Outfitter. I'd think the outfitter would be the wise choice but I haven't seen them. I have the Cabelas Stand Hunter bibs for extreme cold, so really I would be happy with something that I can wear into the low teens. I was at Cabelas yesterday and all the normal bibs are so bulky and heavy, I want something light functional and warm.

I looked at the Sitka bibs but 4 bills and I think they would be covered in burrs.

Any thoughts?

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't comment on any specific brand, only on what I do. I also have a heavy set of bibs for cold weather. For milder conditions I just use un-insulated pants/bibs and deal with different temperatures with base layers. Once I get to the point where my fleece baselayer with waterproof pants are not warm enough, I can switch to my insulated bibs without getting overheated.

3. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Columbia wool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    cabelas mt050 bibs. Great stuff. they are on sale now, because the new model came out

5. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the outfitter. I love them but if I did it over I would buy two sizes larger instead of one. Also another down fall is the instructions say to air dry first after washing them dry for 1/2 hr to clean out the trinity system.
    Check out "Robinson outdoors" thread on here if you get a chance.

6. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the sitka fanatic bibs and they are awesome but probably not what you're looking for. They are a mid to late season bib probably most comfortable in 10-40deg. Way too warm to wear over 40. As far as burrs yes they pick em up but no more than anything else I wear out there. My only complaint is the thick berber feels a little bulky walking in, but on stand it's awesome to have the warmth. One thing that's nice about the design is you have zippers at the hip and leg so can vent them walking in.

7. steigym

steigym Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input there fellas. That narrows it down to the Scent Blocker Outfitter in XL or the Fanatic Bibs in L, that's about my target temp range for these bibs is 10-40 degrees. Below that temperature range the Cabelas Stand Hunter Extreme bibs serve their purpose for me. The new lighter in weight yet warm more athletic fit gear is very impressive stuff.

8. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the MT050 from Cabelas as well. Best i've had. Probably not an issue with the new models since i've had mine for a few years now but I know the zippers kinda suck on the bibs and jacket. I had my grandma cut the zippers out of mine and replace them with nice metal ones. Again, the new ones probably are fine now.

9. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am admittedly "old school" when it comes to camo as 2016 is my 40th year of bowhunting. My favorite camo pattern is ASAT.....not because it is a cool digital pattern or looks like a tree trunk....but because it WORKS in the woods. One late December morning I was in a treestand when two doe groups came together and I had nearly 20 deer in front of me while standing on a stand on a tree trunk completely devoid of cover. I got a shot and killed one of the does while wearing my ASAT insulated bibs and fleece ASAT jacket, which I am doubtful would have happened in other camo. Earlier that same season I was walking along the edge of a picked corn field on the way to my stand when a flock of turkeys suddenly appeared from the pines. I stopped out in the wide open and stood still, while those birds completely ignored me and fed across the field. Needless to say, I own a bunch of ASAT, including the leafy suit which is great for the early season.

10. Deerhunter 28

Deerhunter 28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would look hard at Sitka.
    Buy once cry once.
    Sitka is a very well made and thought out garment.
    Actually I know a guy that has the incinerator top and bottom and a few other items wore on a 5 day hunt last year wanting to sell for $550.00.
    All XXL in size.
    It is last years digital camo that I currently use.
    If interested PM me.

Thanks,

11. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Mt50 from cabelas and are good but mine are thick and way to warm for November. I wear mine December and January predator hunts