Ozark trail 73 quart cooler

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by headstrong, May 8, 2016.

1. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So this cooler just came out by ozark trail which is a walmart brand. I see people on other sites and forums asking about this cooler so I thought I would pick it up and test it out. At $193 it's going to be the least experience 73 quart high performance cooler out there. Was looking into rtic coolers at the time which are about half a yeti. Yeti 75 quat cooler is $450 and not really 75 qt. Also the ozark comes with a ruler on top, 4 cup holder spots, a metal latch that also can be used as a bottle opener, and a bigger drain plug that a hose can hook up to. Rtic also has a 3 month waiting time from what I hear.

Now for the test. I didn't pre chill the cooler. It was outside in the garage. Thinking it was about 50 degrees when I put 40 lbs of ice in on 4/29/16. I took pics about the same time every day. Kept it on my house in the basement. My house is kept at 70°. Basement is going to be a little cooler. Today being 5/8/16. I opened it up and was out of ice. Cool is rated at 9 days. My ice lasted about 8 days but my cooler wasn't packed full. Thinking it would have lasted the hole 9 days in the condition I had it. The only thing I didn't like about the cooler was the drain plug. On the second day I came down to take a pic and the was water on the floor. The plug felt tight. So I took the plug off and retightened it. It still drip a little. So I really cranked on it. That sealed it up. Guessing the gasket on there is a little stiff. All in all I think this cooler will do well for my hunting,fishing, camping, and party needs. The only thing I can't comment on is the durability of the outer shell. I'll post a few pics. Don't think I'll post all of them as I'm doing this off my phone and its a pain 20160429_181548.jpg 20160429_181624.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The pics where taken on 4/29 to start. 5/2, 5/4 and 5/7

3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think they all rate the ice retention when leaving the door closed. So its kinda misleading, because who's gonna leave a cooler door closed. Thanks for the review. Keep us updated.