Traditonal hunting boots vs rubber boots

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by IAbleacherbum, Apr 26, 2016.

1. IAbleacherbum

IAbleacherbum Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I am just starting deer hunting after being an avid upland game hunter. I notice on all the episodes of bowhunt or die everybody is wearing high topped rubber boots. Do these make that big of difference. I am looking at the Cabella's 400 grain scent free boot (I am on a budget :)]. My concern is that many of the reviews indicate that rubber boots smell of rubber. has anybody purchased these, or are my upland game boots good enough? Any advice is appreciated.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whatever boot fits you well, keeps you dry, is golden. How much money do you want to spend? You can buy some pretty neat stuff if you're into stuff. Are there advantages to rubber boots over a leather/gore tex boot? Yes in some cases but you don't really have to buy anything other than having the weapon to use for whatever season it is.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You're not watching close enough because I haven't worn rubber boots with any sort of regularity in years. :)

Rubber boots certainly have their advantages - especially if you have to cross any sort of standing water - but IMO they aren't a deal breaker when it comes to scent control and your hunting success. For me personally rubber boots are way too hot during most of the early season, and too cold during the rest of the year. My feet sweat entirely too much in them to be comfortable for any length of time. Despite great advances in their fit, finish and comfort I still can't do it.

I personally hunt in a pair of LaCrosse Quickshot boots and love them. So long as you keep your boots as scent free as possible - don't wear them for anything other than hunting, spray them down, and even put some Dead Down Wind powder in them between uses - you'll be fine. I have an uninsulated pair I wear when it's above 40-50 degrees, and a 600 gram insulated pair when temps get colder.

Sometime around 20 years ago bowhunters all started wearing rubber boots and you were looked at like a mad man if you didn't. I bought into that for about 15 years and after countless hunts with my feet and legs either boiling hot or freezing cold I gave it up and switched to regular hunting boots. That was 2010 and I've never looked back.

So to answer your question directly, you'll be fine in your upland boots. There are much bigger things to worry about and learn than which boots you wear to your stand.

4. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I walk through some mucky areas with standing water so I like my rubber boots...the newer muck and lacrosse have fleece linings that help with moisture management some, but it is still an issue. Really good socks in combination are a must. Banded makes a supposedly breathable rubber boot, but I haven't been bold enough to try a pair. Otherwise if you don't have to walk through muck or lots of standing water any good waterproof upland boot will do.

5. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My hunting boots (Mucks or Alpha Burly) go on my feet when I get to my hunting location, and come off before I get back in the truck after a hunt.... I keep them outside from a month before season opens, until the end of season. If I bring them into the garage, they go in a sealed container or storage bag. As for getting rid of the rubber smell... Wear them and go for a walk in a good muddy creek/creek bottom, or something along those lines, and leave the mud on them.

6. kspseshooter

kspseshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I hunt anything I wear my Alpha Burly Pros. Not just for scent but to keep clean and dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't encounter a lot of standing water so I've switched back to gortex boots. I find them more comfortable and manage warmth better. Like Justin, I too struggled with being hot and sweaty or cold. Since I switched last fall I haven't even considered grabbing the old Lacrosse rubbers for anything hunting related.

Side note: I bought some of the higher end Cabela's / Meindel boots and they are awesome. Plus the Cabela's lifetime warranty on their branded stuff can't be beat.

8. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on where you hunt and the weather. I don't typically like the rubber Lacrose style boots but then when I start deer hunting here it could easily be near 100. I wear very light weight Oakley or Under Armour boots. In the spring for turkey I have some UA Brow Tine boots and Danner all leather boots.

IMO your boots need to be comfortable and warm, if it's cold. Nothing worse than sitting with your feet freezing or having to walk in something uncomfortable. That will end a day quicker for me than anything else.

9. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never worn a more comfortable pair of boots than the light weight Alpha Burly sport boots or Mucks. They wear like tennis shoes, imo. The Lacrosse are not as hot as mucks.

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do use insulated rubber books in snow in the northeast but otherwise have used leather/canvas boots with no issues. I agree comfort is the primary for me and just spray them down with scent killer. my 10 year old $100 Danners and $60 Redhead still work great.

11. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like Justin said. Upland type boots for early season as long as you take care of them and use them only for hunting. I use rubber for mid to late season but as nice as the new neoprene boots are, there is a catch 22 with them. That neoprene is a huge scent sponge so I opt for boots with removable liners so they can be washed.

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it isn't wet then I am not wearing rubber boots. No upside to them except being waterproof

13. SullyMitch

SullyMitch Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using Timberland, I owned a pair of these for over four years and they never let me down. Great pair of boots for hiking or kicking around the yard, and its waterproof too.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  14. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of Cabela's Comfort Trac rubber boots and have been very satisfied with them for ten years now. They have 800 grams of insulation which is plenty for mild winters like we normally have where I live.

15. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For what little water I have to get through I can just go around.
    And for me they're hot in the summer and cold in the winter, plus they just don't seem to fit right on me . I prefer a hiker with good ankle support. I have trouble climbing in the rubber ducks.
    But if my entry to my stand was a creek, then I'd absolutely suck it up and use them.

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I walk in through a lot of CRP which as often as not is soaking wet either from dew or rain. For scent and water control a decent pair of rubber boots can't be beat.

If you're on a budget Sportsmans Guide are actually decent. I have a pair of the 800s that coupled with a good Dr Scholls insert have served me well for over 6 seasons in weather down to mid 20s. I also have LaCrosse Aerohead Sports for warmer temps but anything over 50 and they start to get pretty toasty.

17. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't run into a situation where I need rubber. Not much wetland and what I have doesn't need waterproof, only resistant.

Biggest reason is that I've screwed up my ankles over the year and really need the additional support of Tight laced high boots to keep from turning my ankles.