Favorite broadhead on the market?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Ibonic, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Ibonic

Ibonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm starting this thread out of being completely new to archery and bow hunting. I just purchased a bow recently (Mission Ballistic 2.0) with a half dozen Carbon Express arrows with field tips.
    I have been doing my research into bows for a while now (about a year) before coming up with a bow to get and have been trying to do so recently with broadheads to get ready for the hunting season here in Alabama.
    My question is what is your favorite broadhead and how does it fly compared to a field point? I'm curious in broadheads for Turkey season, deer season, as well as the all-you-can-hunt hogs.
    Any advice you could give me as I am completely new to this. Thank you for the advice in advance.

2. Junior93

Junior93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even though many broadheads on the market will say "shoot like field tips", these results often vary. A person should shoot a broadhead and tune your bow to shoot the same.

When you decide on what head you like, some of the senior members are gold mines of knowledge! Just ask and they are amazing at helping!

As far as what head to shoot, you are about to get a million answers on what many members prefer. Do you have more information on your set up? (Ie. Draw length, poundage, what type of carbon express arrow.)

With that information they will be able to give you a more specific area to look into. Depending on the energy that your bow creates, will depend on what will work better for you.

3. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally i like rage hypos. But I sense an expandable vs fix blade argument coming haha

4. Ibonic

Ibonic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well tbh I've thought about getting a fixed blade only so I won't have to worry about failure to expand, less moving parts etc.

5. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sold on G5 Montec. On a quartering away shot it entered right in front of the back hip and went through just about the entire length of the deer. You could feel the broadhead tip coming out of the diagonal shoulder. I was impressed anyway.

6. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Rage Hypodermics 100g -turkey & Whitetail
    Slick tricks or Muzzy's 100g for tougher skinned animals-Hogs/elk/African plains game.
    Its a personal preference, I'm sure you'll end up drawing the same conclusion.

7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can make nearly or most broadheads hit with your fieldpoints. You have to broadhead tune your bow. The key is getting your rest in center so your arrows are coming off straight. Some of the more popular broadheads out are Muzzy, G5 Montec, Slick Tricks, QAD Exodus for fixed heads. Then exp. the more popular ones are going to be Rage, NAP Spitfire, Ramcat, Swhacker, Killzones.
    They all will kill the animal so shot placement is key as well.

For tuning, I would check out Youtube videos on Walkback Tuning, French Tuning, Modified French Tuning. Find a method that you like and go with it. These help find your true centershot with your rest. Once you get this good, then you want to do Broadhead tuning. Basically its the same thing but more of a Micro tune to what you just did with the French tune etc.

Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to send me a PM as I really enjoy helping people with this stuff since I've learned so much from just being on these forums. I'm no expert but the last 2 years made me a lot more confident in getting my equipment tuned.

8. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like was said above, It's what you want. I've shot a lot of different heads and they've all killed deer given the chance. G5 Montec worked great last year but as has been mentioned wasn't a great blood trail. Don't know why that is, but that seems to be the major complaint about them. The head that I keep returning to is the Steel Force Phat Head. It's a micro fixed blade with bleeders. Easy to tune and shoots pretty close to FP at the start. Small head= low steering capabilities. Sharp out of the box and they used to resharpen for you if you sent it in. Doesn't take much though to touch them up yourself. I've killed the majority of my deer with them and all my hogs. Hah, I like em so much, I cut open an ol' half rotten boar to retrieve one. He was all scarred up and infected from fighting. It was buried in his off shoulder. Anyways. Thats my opinion. Congrats on the bow and welcome to the addiction.

9. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot Muzzy 4 blades, Rage, and now Slick Trick Magnums and have taken deer with all of them. I originally shot the Muzzys but I decided to move on to Rage when I wasn't happy with the blood trail. I shot Rage for a few years and I was very happy with them and the associated blood trail...until one day I had an absolute stud of a deer at 25 yards and I pulled the shot and hit the shoulder blade. It had 0% to do with the Rage broadhead, 100% my fault that I made the bad shot...but I decided after that that I wanted to go back to fix blades just in case I screw up a shot like that again, I feel that fixed blades will at least give me a chance. I moved on to Slick Trick magnums and I have been happy with them...good blood trails and they have been easy to tune. That's just my choice though, there are plenty of quality broadheads out there that will get the job done.

10. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot a few broad heads. I'm always looking for one that performs the best for me. So far it has been the QAD exodus. I've shot 2 deer and one hog with them and I had awesome blood and quick kills. Second best was the montec. But had some not so good blood trails and some good blood. The worst for me was the grim reapers. They didn't open right away on one buck and wasn't a pass through. So I stick with fixed for that reason. There's always a chance that mechanicals will fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking to hunt hogs/deer/turkeys then I would probably get a fixed blade.

If you can afford them Solids seem to be very popular.
    A more affordable broad head is Slick Trick,they're $40 for a pack of 4 but I've seen them on eBay for $20 a pack.

My favorite is probably Slick Trick.I used Grim Reaper Hades last year but they seemed rather hard to resharpen and they are kinda expensive.

12. bowcrazy30

bowcrazy30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Grim Reaper Mechanicals, and I also like the Hades fixed blade by Grim Reaper. But this year I am going with the Shuttle T-Lock by Trophy Taker.

13. TroPhyTakEr1515

TroPhyTakEr1515 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dead Ringer Super Freak

14. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too like the rage for an expandable for my compound. I look for a fix blade for my crossbow and used the trocar Muzzys. They did well for me. This year im heading out with Ramcats and NAP gobble getters for turkey. Spice is the variety of life, give em all a try!

15. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Favorites are all personal preference.

My favorite broadhead is a 125 grain German Kinetic.
    Close behind would be a Solid.

Then comes everything else. I am a fixed blade fan except for turkeys and then I like a mechanical.
    I killed several animals last year with Slick Tricks. (even a couple of turkeys)

16. Flying Arrow_Support

Flying Arrow_Support Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We at Flying Arrow Archery stand behind our products. As long as your bow is properly tuned, you should have no problem getting our broadheads to fly like your field points. Our heads offer bone-crushing strength, great penetration and typically leave a healthy blood trail. No matter which head you are using, a properly tuned bow and correct shot placement are the keys to success. wound channel.jpg Chris bull.jpg

17. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm always looking for different broadheads to test. This year I'm testing, WASP jak-knife, WASP jak-hammer, WASP dueler as well as the rage hypos and the NAP killzones.

18. successful failure

successful failure Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can get 6 muzzy fixed blades for 40$...that's what I go with. I had problems in the past with my expandable blades popping out while in the quiver.

19. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same issue with earlier rages using the bands.. The newer ones with the collars are set in well. NAP killzones hold themselves in as well.. Got to give Muzzy props though. They have been in the game for a long time and i have taken a good amount of deer with them..

20. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ramcats fixed blade hybrid.