Making the jump to traditional

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by walker614, Feb 27, 2016.

1. walker614

walker614 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I thinking about making the jump into traditional archery. I love my Mathews DXT but I have been watching some traditional archers and like the appeal of going back to the raw basics. I have my eye on a (new) Bear 59 kodiak and was wondering if anyone here has one and what your thoughts on it are. Thanks.[​IMG]

Genesis 27:3
    Now then, get your equipment---your quiver and bow---and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started bowhunting with a Bear recurve in the early 70's. Ahh, the good ole days! Good luck with your new bow, it's a nice one! You might have to work on muscle strength, pulling and holding a 59# recurve isn't a walk in the park. lol

3. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those Bear recurve bows were very nice and shot well. The Kodiak is an excellent choice. I bought 45# Bear Kodiak Magnum in '72 which is the shorter version of the Kodiak. Have kept it along with some of the old aluminum arrows just in case I get the urge. Current traditional shooters will be able to give better advice but my recollection is those finger tabs with cow hair on it provided the most consistent arrow release. Best of luck with it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Kodiak is an amazing bow. And 59 is the year not the poundage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk