Can we talk socks?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by wl704, Feb 25, 2016.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm slightly interested in brands but more interested in what you think makes a good sock. Please state your case before throwing out brands. So tell me...

Here is my thinking:
    Warmth, comfort, breathability/moisture wicking and durability would probably be important characteristics...there are probably others-feel free to elaborate.

To me that probably means a combination of merino with some synthetic (nylon/poly & lycra perhaps) for durability and elasticity.

Thoughts?

2. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been a WigWam guy for late season. Early season usually just high Nike socks.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Two brands that really stand out for right now are farm to feet and darn tough

4. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being allergic to wool makes it tough for me but I bought two pair of alpaca socks last fall and will not go back to anything else. Only problem is that they recommend hand washing and hang drying so it takes a while to get the ready for the next sit. Hence buying two pair...

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I finally started investing in good quality socks about 4 years ago. They make a world of difference in my opinion not only in staying warm, but also the cushioning and wicking aspects as well.

I'm only wearing Merino Wool in my boots now. Even in the hottest temps. What I've found is that a lot of socks are labeled as "Merino Wool" but then you look at the info on them........you realize that they are less than 30% wool, and mostly synthetic materials. I had a ton of those and just wasn't happy with them. You want to have something that is 65-75% Merino Wool in my experience.

My inlaws are a pretty large boot dealer back in NY and sell Smartwool, so I tend to use their stuff and get from them. Been very happy and they are also easy to find locally if you look around. I've outlined the ones that I use below.........

- Men's Hike Ultra Light Crew - I use these for anything warmer than about 50 degrees. Great wicking options, and even in the hottest temps my feet don't overheat. They don't have great cushion properties because they are so thin, but it's remarkable how after a day of 80 degree temps hanging stands your feet won't smell in these at all........sock smell nearly like they are fresh after coming off your feet.

- Men's Trekking Heavy Crew - I use these for almost everything I do between 30-50 degrees even when just out for a long hike. The cushioning these provide is fantastic and even when doing hard activities my feet just never feel sweaty in them.

- Hunt Extra Heavy Crew - I use these for cold temps. Below 30 degrees and specifically when I'm going to be sitting in a stand. Even when in single digits, if I'm hiking or walking I'll wear the Trekking socks, but if I'm sitting and it's below 30 degrees I'll use the Extra Heavy Crew instead. Most of my hunting spots have longer hikes, and these socks combined with a 400gr Meindl Perfekt Hunter boot and HotMocs will keep my feet warm down to below zero temps but I'm still fairly light and able to walk easily as compared to having huge bulky pack boots.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've looked into smartwool and may try some out. I've recently went fully over to Scentlok's sock options...not for scent reasons but quality wise they far exceed the cheaper options I had been using. Smartwool from all I can tell will be even a higher upgrade.

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best pair of socks I have are a cream colored wool no name brand I got at a place called Trader Horn in the PA mountains for $0.79 from the discount bin.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Warmth, moisture wicking, versatility, fit & durability. Good Merino is a start for sure. I was a big Smartwool fan until I found FITS socks. They fit my foot better, last longer and have a great variety of weights and styles to suit my needs from summer to winter. I've never had a FITS slip down on me in a shoe or boot, no matter the cut of the sock. I can't say that about my Smartwools.

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should start an off-brand for them and call them...wait for it...FITZ. I'm here all day fellas...

10. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Darn Tough. Lifetime warranty.

11. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I put on boots I put on Darn Tough socks. Whether it be in the hay field in the summer, or deer stand in the winter.

12. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started getting better socks a few yrs ago. Sick off feet freezing in woods and at work.and cotton socks just wernt cutting it in everyday use. Most of my experience with these socks are at work seeing weather never got to could this yr. I like wigwam socks as well as fox socks. I'm a fork lift driver in a cooler temps are from 34 to 65 degrees. I were the mid and light weight hikes of both brands with normal leather steel toe keen boots. My feet stay dry and pretty warm on a 8 to 11 hr shift.I also ware them early to late mid season on stand with light weight boots.have worked well duck hunting in water to with waders.you have to look at the wool content on package the more wool percent the better. I also used a sock called heat keeper or heat holder paired with a liner sock in my aero lite7mm boots and was good in a hunt in the mid 20s

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same model for both and if so do you recall which?

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tip your waitress and try the veal...

15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure on model, but these are the ones I wear usually while working, hiking etc. [​IMG]

The ones to hunt/work when it's cooler are a little thicker...then there is a knee high I hunt with when really cold, or duck hunt.

16. Thwackthwackthwack

Thwackthwackthwack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Smart Wool, Just make sure not to double up on them or it ruins the effectiveness. Tried and true in Canada on a 180km snowmobile trip in -40 no exaggeration

17. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Christine...I bought a couple pairs of darn tough socks for an elk hunt in CO and now I won't wear anything else while hunting or pretty much doing anything outdoors with boots on...good socks make all the difference in the world

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

18. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We went on a ski trip January 2015 and my wife bought us all "outfits." I don't know what the brand is, but they have to be the ugliest color scheme I've ever seen. They come just below the knee and they do not fall down. They don't get wet and sweaty and my feet and lower legs stay very warm. If she could remember where she bought them I'd buy a few more pairs.

19. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    merino wool is key for warmth....

20. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anything along the lines of a SmartWool or Darn Tough are hard to beat. You definitely get what you pay for.

I've been wearing SmartWool for the better part of a decade but I always wear holes in them. Started buying Darn Tough about a year ago and they're holding up much better. Plus, when you spend that kind of money on socks it's good to know you can warranty exchange them when/if you burn a hole through them.

Therefore, I'm a Darn Tough sock guy these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk