Looking For A Boot Replacement

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by akaTheDude, Feb 17, 2016.

1. akaTheDude

akaTheDude Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well it appears I have finally wore out my favorite Wolverine hunting boots. I have looked high and low and even contacted Wolverine to see if they had any in a warehouse...and no luck.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a very light weight, 200grams thinsulate ( I hunt in AR and cold is 30 degrees here), water proof boots?

I plan on buying a pair of Lacrosse Aeroheads for a good rubber boot, but would like to have another good lace up boot for support on long walks etc.

This is the link to my old boots if anyone is interested Wolverine 4987 Men's 12 Point Scent Lok 8 Inch Waterproof Boot

Thanks

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man,

Check these out from Cabelas. I've had mine for about 4 years now and they are still going strong other than replacing the laces. I use them for hiking when I scout, turkey hunting and early season deer hunting. The coldest temp I can handle wearing them is down to about 30 degrees so it should fit what your looking for. They feel like your wearing a shoe cuz they are so lightweight but tough. They are on sale now as well.

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have two sets of boots.
    8" uninsulated pair of Lacrosse boots, Hunting I wear them down to about freezing with a good pair of Wool socks. If I'm walking in them with regular socks I'm good down to about 20 and close zero with Wool.
    LaCrosse Mens Quick Shot 8 Uninsulated Hunting Boot-785656 - Gander Mountain

For sits that below 30, or walking below zero I break out my 9" 800gram boots.

4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went with a pair of Aeroheads this past season after much debate on which brand to choose. I needed the 7mm pair for warmth. I have mixed emotions after one season. If I had to make another purchase, I would debate it again...

1. Comfort - Excellent. Love that they are nice and wide. Have a solid heel lock. No complaints at all here.
    2. Durability - Questionable. After 6 hunts, the inside tape in each boot came off. If it was not in the heart of the season, I would have sent them back.
    3. Out of the box smell - Mine stunk like chemicals. After a few weeks, this was a non-issue.
    4. Warmth - With no liner between the neoprene and foot, you notice the sweat very quickly. I was not overly impressed with the warmth when compared to the Muck boots. I had cold feet on a few hunts even after changing socks.
    5. Noise - If the boots touch, you will get a squeaky sound. This happened one time while repositioning myself and it did draw the attention of a few deer. Something to consider.

5. DeepSouthDad

DeepSouthDad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried to get some of those new lace up mucks this season but not in stock locally I hope they have some before next year. I don't buy boots without putting them on my feet first.

6. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mucks are hard to beat if you aren't in rugged terrain.

7. DeepSouthDad

DeepSouthDad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree but they have a snake boot, leather boots, and the new Lace ups that are covered in a durable rubber now. My first pair of mucks was the best pair of rubber boots I have ever owned besides durability in briars.

8. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I loved the original alpha burly sports, owned several pair. After I tried on a pair of mucks, never looked back.

9. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the original poster, the Danner Pronghorn is a tough boot to beat.

10. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had Danner Acadia's for years now. I've went through several pair. They can be resoled easily. You can get them with 200 grams of Thinsulate or get them un-insulated. They come with a Vibram sole which is tough as nails. The boots are leather with Gore-Tex lining. The waterproof lining works really well.

11. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As Remmet70 mentioned. Good sox! I have some rubber Irish setters for sitting in cold stands (I live in Vermont), but when it comes to long hikes, I prefer unisulated, waterproof boots paired with some good wool sox. I've been wearing Solomon 4D GTX2 boots for 3 years now. No break-in period. Able to carry heavy weight on my back without hotspots on my feet. I haven't experienced any blisters, laces are solid from the get go. My previous job involved allot of mountainous hiking (the White Mountains in NH), uneven rocks, mossy rocks, wet and dry conditions and these boots have held up to the test. I can't speak for all manufacturers out there, but I have owned several other brands and these Solomons are the best I've owned by a long shot!