Release Aids

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by kurveball18, Mar 3, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys,

So I've been doing a ton of shooting with my new HTR. As mentioned in other posts. I'm pretty much in love with her. Who needs a women when you got a new bow to cuddle with LOL.

Anyways, I think i'd like to get a new release aid. It was pointed out by a guy at the archery range here that If I had something where I can get more finger on the trigger id be more comfortable. Right now i'm using the TruFire Hurricane. It is adjustable but its on its shortest setting. I don't have the biggest of arms lol. Just looking for recommendations on release aids that can go pretty short. Once I have a few recommendations i'll go out and see if I can test them out.

Thanks guys, you all have been a tremendous help the past few months as I've gotten setup with my bow. This bow makes me look good lol

2. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big fan of the Trufire releases, and I am currently using the Hardcore Max, the Edge (standard trigger) and the Edge (short trigger).

I can get the most finger on the Edge standard, but overall, I really like the Hardcore the best. The hook design is easy to use and with both adjustments, you can get this thing tweaked out very smooth and crisp.

Hope this helps.

V

3. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have look at the True Fire Edge Extreme Fold-Back and the Carter Like Mike, both are quality wrist releases.

4. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any of the ones like a Scott Little Bitty Goose, Carter Quickie, or others that have the NCS strap connector. You can set the strap to any length.

5. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:

Just what I need is a release called the little bitty goose LOL I think my dad would pick on me about that one lol

6. GAshooter

GAshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a Scott Mongoose XT set as short as possible, for the reason you mention. A Scott Shark, Little Goose, or Mongoose would do what you're looking for. There's tons of them on eBay, they sell in the $35 - $40 range.

7. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As mentioned, have you tried some of the Scott line of releases? I switched to Rhino before going to a handheld and preferred it (Scott) over the TruFire (which I've shot for years).

8. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of the most popular releases ever made. I using the Wildcat which is no longer made and is virtually the same. Wildcat has a slightly more forward trigger.

9. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like the True Fire Max Edge Buckle Fold-Back release has a lockable length adjustment that might be helpful to you.

10. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i like and enjoy my spot hogg wisely

11. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the Short n Sweet too. the best is if you can try some. Where in WI are you. If you aren't that far away I have a drawer full of releases I would let you try. I can shoot 16 yards in the basement. Now I am using True-fire Hardcore.

12. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    I went to fleet farm yesterday and look at some but it was kind of hard to tell if it would work or not so yea my best best is if i can try some at a archery shop that actually sells a bunch of them ect.

I'm in Oshkosh

13. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my carter quickie 1 plus, you get springs for your trigger pressure and I am learning to wrap my index finger around trigger and pull with my back muscles. Its a little pricey but well worth it. Scoot

14. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    had the same problem... seemed to cause me to punch the trigger if not concentrating on it... switched to a 4 finger thumb release and my group size shrunk by half almost over night.... try one ya might like it... also, easy to remove from pocket when needed, so it's not dangling from my wrist getting in the way all the time..

15. Iowah

Iowah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would strongly recommend Spot Hogg Wise Guy. It's a awesome release. It has a bunch of adjustable features.

16. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, Last year I did use the 4 finger Tru-Ball Pro Diamond Extreme and shot decent. Wasn't super happy with it for hunting use which is why I went back to a regular trigger release. But now that my target panic is gone i'm still looking. I went and shot the Max Edge like Longstriker mentioned above and that was a really nice release but i'm not going to hurry on getting the first one I use. I'll check out the spot hog Iowah. Thank you

17. Relentless

Relentless Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting Tru Ball for about a decade now and have never had bad things to say. I too, enjoy more finger on the trigger(the second knuckle). I am able to use more big muscles to actuate the shot as opposed to squeezing with my finger. I have been looking at thumb releases lately but in my search I came across the Spot Hogg Wise Guy...I would agree with Iowah, try one of those out.

18. bonescreek

bonescreek Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used a T.R.U. Ball Hunter model for many years and had switched to the T.R.U. Ball Short & Sweet last year.
    The Short & Sweet is very good release, has a trigger pull that feels like it was worked on but a top notch
    gun smith.

Highly recommend it.
    Most will recommend ordering the buckle over the velcro for none creep on the wrist, particularly when shooting
    several rounds at target.

19. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like Scott's rhino xt with the webbed strap

20. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    I just looked up the Spott Hogg wise guy and they say its the most sensitive trigger thought? From what I read it isn't adjustable to make it more of a squeeze which is what I want. I don't want something to where I breath on it and it go's off.