6mm hex easton arrows

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by kjstaudt86, Feb 11, 2017.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The local bow shop was giving their pitch on these arrows they carry by easton https://eastonarchery.com/target/6mm-hexx/... I am currently shooting the gold tip velocity xt arrows. They said I would gain up to 10fps (possibly) because of the weight of the easton arrow. I'm shooting 318 @ 70lbs @ 31" draw. Does anyone use these arrows and if you made the switch to them how much did you go up on your speed?

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used them (prefer heavier arrows), but I'd say that their appeal shouldn't so much be their weight in GPI but rather their straightness.
    What's the GPI of your current arrow? That along with what bow and your specs would tell more of what you would gain.
    Even then some bows are better at transferring energy with heavier arrows and the opposite.
    There was a guy at the shop chasing speed and he had just gotten so super light arrows, actually lost fps.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  3. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:

8.8 with the current arrow... 7.9 for this particular arrow is what I'm seeing. The bow shop guy said for every GPI it almost translates into 10 fps more. He's going to cut an arrow for me just to test so I'll keep you posted on how much I actually gain.

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Speed is not the answer if your a bowhunter. If your over 300 fps then not sure why your even looking? If you go to a lighter arrow you will lose momentum to drive the arrow through that animal especially if you hit bone. If you go too light, even at 318fps and hit a solid bone it could stop and not even puncture the bone. If you have a heavier arrow you would have more momentum to drive the arrow through that bone.

If i had your specs as far as bow setup. I would personally want an arrow more in the 9-12 grains per inch shooting more in the 280-290fps.

5. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    So far so good with my set up. I don't think I'm going to switch. I was looking at the numbers measuring my KE vs the easton arrows. Yes I would be gaining speed but I would actually lose some kinetic energy. Ive had two pass throughs on both of my deer I shot so I think I'll keep using what I have now. I had to do a little research to see what it was all about.

6. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently use HEXX arrows in 330 spine, 16% FOC and total weight of 400 grs flying 305 fps. There is plenty there to get complete pass throughs on elk and nearly a complete pass through on a quartering to shot after crunching bone.

FWIW, plenty of KE and p...

7. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Hexx but have from day one I picked them for the low gpi to get the best foc I shoot a 28 in arrow at 420 gr out of a Mathews ChillR with abought 14% foc

roadrunner likes this.
  8. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    KE and pass through's are only loosely related. You need both KE and momentum for an ideal setup.
    Example: A needle going extremely fast will have a large amount of KE but very little momentum. A train barely moving will have very little KE but a huge amount of momentum. Obviously they are extreme examples, but that's how they work. A lot of guys on here prefer a heavier arrow because the momentum the arrow has when it impacts the deer will help drive it through.

Either the velocity or the hexx, shoot whichever one you like shooting better. Both will pass through just fine, but if you're more confident you'll take a better shot. The better shot, the more you'll get a pass through. Those arrows would only be marginally different.

For what it's worth, I'd go with the hexx. I'm more confident in a better shot if my arrow gets there faster. I will give up a little of the momentum because the arrow will still pass through if placed correctly.

roadrunner and kjstaudt86 like this.