Mid level binocs?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Jim805, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for a very nice or a great mid level set of Binoculars. I have a nice pair for the ball park or football game but they are big and heavy. Not right for the hunt. Does anyone have a suggestion for a bright 10x42 or is 8x42 better for the stand or blind? Something in the $250. range? Does Bushnell compare very well to Nikons? I've got Champagne taste on a imported beer budget. Want the best just can't rationalize spending $400.-500. for it. And it Christmas time so maybe I can ask my girl to call Santa. Any ideas?

2. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Redfield Rebels 10x42 and love them. Might be a lower price point than what you are looking at but they are made by Leupold and have done the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Vortex diamondback 10x42! I love mine. You can find them online for 200-220

4. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Titan but Dan got me looking at the Vortex now. Reviews are great.

5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You'll love them! I like mine so much I now wamt to buy a riflescope for my 223 and a red dot for my shotgun!

6. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of Nikon Protstaff's and my buddy just bought a pair of Vortex's. Bought are great binos. Clear picture, great low light viewing, durable. I've had two pair of bushnell's and they both were junk. Just my two cents.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

7. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I second the vortex diamondbacks, love mine. Scoot

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to optics, I really feel it's important to get somewhere you can actually try them.

There are soooo many people online that make suggestions on one vs. another that are either sponsored or on field staff for one company, or people suggesting something simply because it's what they have, not because they actually tried everything out in their price range. The other thing is that the manufacturers are constantly putting out different models, upgraded glass, etc.

I think with things like a bow there is a lot of perception to what's good and what's not. When it comes to glass, very little is left up to perception. I did this myself a couple years ago and I saw a HUGE discrepancy between quality of glass even in the same price range. Get to a Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Gander Mountain store where they have several models in stock and actually try them out.

Last time I did this myself I tested everything in the $250-$400 range including Leupold, Bushnell, Vortex, Zeiss, etc. I walked away with a pair of the new model Nikon Monarch 7's.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  9. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I was afraid of. The difference at the same price level. I know Nikon and Zeiss make their own glass so I wondered if Vortex did or who they got their glass from. Zeiss is WAY out of my budget. Nikon I like because I know their camera glass. Had many Nikon lens. I would prolly go with Nikon at my price range but it ends up on the lower end of their line. If Vortex is as good as people are saying then my next step is to go to Cabelas and BPS and try them. Lucky for me, both are close by
    I also like the fact that Vortex is made in the USA. Thanks for the input everyone. Have a great Christmas!!!

10. BennettallicA

BennettallicA Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked up the Vortex Diamondbacks (10x42) last night at Cabela's. I am a Cabela's Visa member and they sent me a coupon for employee discount. I got them for $180.00. On top of that, in my credit card statement for December they had a special promotion for Cabelas points that gives 15% back in points. So another $27.00 back in points on top of that so $153.00.

11. BennettallicA

BennettallicA Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What is everyone using for Bino harness? I bought some cheap thing at Cabelas with binos but wondering if there is something better out there.

12. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bushnell Legend Ultra HD :tu:

Love mine, They came in a hard case/soft case and Harness!

13. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I tried quite a few out in your price range last year, and in the end, settled on Vortex Diamondback's (8x42). Glass is perfect for the treestand hunting I do here in PA, their warranty is solid, and the clarity was at the top for me in that price range.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm also a big fan of the Vortex even though I don't own any of their products. Any company with an unconditional lifetime warranty is solid in my book. I have played around with some of the products. I had a chance to try a pair of Viper HD's and a pair of Swarovski's and couldn't honestly see any difference it the quality of glass. Both were amazing.

15. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bushnell Legend x2 - Had mine for a few months and love them.

16. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of vortex Diamondbacks that I'm thinking of selling. :)

17. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of Nikon's.. I believe they are Dream Season line or something... very nice for the money.. very happy with them

18. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would stick to 8x42 because if you look through 10x42 the image will be more magnified, but with the 8s the image will be more crisper,clearer, and sharper. As for what brand, I can tell you this you can't beat Vortex's warranty, I personally own a pair of the diamondbacks, and for that price range around $220 your not gonna find any thing better.

19. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got a free pair of nikon aculons.. They were $80 binos and they get the job done and can't complain when I didn't pay anything