Arrows are confusing me

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Jim805, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, can someone help? The numbers are confusing. Some mean heavier but others of the same number means lighter. I would like to shoot a 425gr arrow. I'm looking for a FOC of at least 20%. I have a fast bow and would rather concentrate on shorter yardage shots with hard hitting and penetrating arrows. Do I need heavier inserts? 125gr broadheads? I want a very stiff shaft so does that mean aluminum? Carbon?

2. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Oh should probably say my bow is at 70# 29.5" and a 336fps(IBO whatever that means)

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First thing first. Your going about this *** backwards.

Let's get a couple things sorted out. Your not getting a 425 grain arrow, with 20% FOC and the correct spine for 70/29 ....forget it, not happening.

So what are your options....in the 29" range at 70 pounds your going to need a 300 spine arrow with 100 or 125 grains up front.

If your willing cut your arrows shorter (27.5 ish ) you will still need .300 spine, but you can add more weight up front...say a 50 grain insert with 125 grain head. ...increasing your FOC.

Doubtful either way your keeping it at 425grains.

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Easton da torch arrows with brass inserts are probably your best bet.

The .330 will weigh 7.9 gr per inch. Add feathers,75 gr brass inserts and no wraps with a 28" arrow with 125 gr heads will hit your weight but most likely be just short of the 20%. 150 gr heads will be in the 450 gr area and hit the foc.

I don't have access to my computer right now so I can't check for sure.

5. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    K, really hate doing this bassackwards. Thanks for answering. A .300 and a 125g bh. Now is an alum shaft stiffer than carbon? Is there much dif? A thicker walled alum shaft more durable than carbon? Thanks again for helpin' out a dork noob. I really appreciate your patience.
    Ain't this fun!!!!

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    .330 with that much weight up front is going to come up week.
    He is shooting 70lb with 335 rated IBO bow, so it's fairly aggressive .

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know trial but extra weight up front doesn't make as much difference as people tend to think.

I did just run the numbers and a .330 with 125 gr point with 75 gr brass inserts will yield 20% foc ar 445 gr total weight and will be marginally weak.

65# put the arrow dead center and my experience with easton shafts is that they are fairly forgiving to spine. This will still be in the 280 fps range.

8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carbon is stiffer and more durable than aluminum. .....

However, a thick walled aluminum is plenty stiff and durable. .016 thickness

9. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Tfox and Trial. Both gave me more to look at and read up on.

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am actually siding with trial here and believe that setting your arrow weight before all else is putting the cart before the horse. With a 29 1/2" draw and the ability to shoot 70#, you should not be worried as much about total arrow weight. I am a high foc guy and agree that is the best way to go but don't get caught up in the final numbers and concentrate on the performance. You can easily achieve the 20% foc with 75 gr inserts and 150+ gr broadheads but you are going to be heavier than the 425 gr. Unless you shoot an arrow on the edge like I stated and it will still be a touch heavy.

I would advise lowering the poundage and shooting the setup I showed with the 125 or 150 heads. Although I'm confident the 70# will work with the 125 ' s but you would be on the edge.

Or

Do as trial suggested and go with 300's with heavy inserts and heavy broadheads and shoot 500+ gr arrows and not worry about the extra weight.

Heck, I shoot 500 gr arrows with 57# and 28" draw and love how they shoot.

11. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for getting back. Had to hit the sack after the 'Bama game!! Now, I think I have a toehold on this. I have some .330s I can use and will drop down to 65#. I wasn't locked onto the 425g number just wanted a heavier arrow with little deflection. Well, the least possible. With the 150g bh and insert it sounds like what looking for. If I can keep I the 260-280 fps range I will be happy. And I didn't realize one is able to shoot 500+ and even less draw weight successfully. Thanks for your help!

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What are the 330's?

You may need brass inserts with them if the inserts aren't epoxied in already.

You can always go with a really heavy broadhead (200+ gr) but typically you have to go single bevel for that which would shoot through a brick wall with your setup, literally but you will pay for them. The helix heads are the cheapest I have seen and they are around $55 for 3 but are awesome heads.

13. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They are the Easton Bloodlines 8.7gpi @ 28.5". I like the idea of the heavy fixed (and going thru a brick wall ha ha) but was thinking of the rage hypo. At 125g. What do you think of the Bloodline?

14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a lot of experience with them but they are easton and in me experience, all their shafts are quality.

125 gr head on that shaft will not yield a real high foc. Especially at 28" (raw shaft) without brass inserts.

15. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest, I wouldn't do the high foc with a mechanical. Kinda defeats the purpose plus most mechanical heads won't like the amount of energy transfer you will get with the harder hitting arrows.

16. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  17. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I think they are epoxied in. I'm looking for the least deflection which is why I was asking about the alum v. Carbon earlier. Don't like the bending of alum but price of carbon(?). Do you practice with the same arrows with field points as you hunt with?

18. Jim805

Jim805 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey! I like to the looks of that Helix. Single bevel. And you say they come heavy too so ow what to put them on.

19. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The helix come in 85gr-225gr in 25 gr increments.

I use the same arrows to practice and hunt.

20. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to shoot Bloodlines with the same draw length as you in 330
    my total weight with the factory arrow wraps stripped and Flex fletch vains on them was 396grns with a 100grn broadhead so a 125grn head would get you pretty close to what your desired total weight was,
    as for FOC I'm not positive but I cant see it being anywhere even close to 20%

Dan