Need new rubber boots... suggestions

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by indynotch50, Nov 17, 2014.

1. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I noticed my rubber boots have a tear in the side of them. I have rutmasters and it looks like where the black toe meets the camo, it's split from bending while walking.
    I'm pretty upset about that. The boots are 2 years old but are still in perfect shape except for that.

I'd like to stay 800 grams or the mm equivalent (not sure what that is). Also, one piece foot like muck, lacrosse, under armour...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. Going from a rubber boot last year to a regular insulated boot this year has been a night and day difference. Warmer and I have yet to notice deer picking up my entry trail.

4. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LaCrosse Aerohead or Alpha Burly pro. The Burly's come in 800,1000, 1600gr. The Aeroheads in 3.5mm and 7mm. Also love my Rocky's...lol.

5. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll do some research but I'm not sure that non-rubber boots are a good idea.

I'll be using these for:
    Deer hunting: longest hike maybe a couple hundred yards, Central Indiana so the snow can get relatively deep, and I have to cross shin-high streams sometimes
    Duck hunting: when I hunt very shallow marshes, rivers, or wet spots in corn fields, also very muddy corn fields
    Turkey hunting: I will admit that leather boots may be better for this but I'm not wanting to buy multiple pairs
    Scouting / Shed hunting: Muddy, wet, not a huge amount of hiking

I will add that I don't have any problem with my feet getting too hot or cold. They may sweat just a little bit on longer hikes or turkey hunting, but it's not excessive or that even gets anything wet.
    Also, I don't want to buy 2 or 3 pair of boots.
    I am very happy with the performance of my rutmasters in accomplishing the tasks that were requested to them, they just did not hold up well.

Again, I'm not going to completely rule out non rubber boots, but would they still be advisable given the above statements?

6. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've wore rubber boots on and off for years. Never had a problem with scent from and have hundreds of deer walk across my trail. So not sure about that part of it. Never had an issue.

7. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the Lacrosse rubber boots. They have a variety of different styles, that should fit your needs.

8. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lacrosse - Got a pair this year and they are great.

9. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for some new rubber boots this year too. Down here in LA it's just not practical to have non rubber boots bc no matter what it is always wet in the winter. Every muck boot I have seen, including mine, have all messed up in the same spot by the sole. I am really considering going with the aeroheads

10. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lacrosse Areoheads. I have a pair and they are great, I wear them most of the season here in RI. They are warm and comfortable. You can't go wrong with these boots.

11. zjl299

zjl299 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i use my arctic pro mucks for ice fishing in the UP/wisconsin and bow hunting as soon as the temp gets to under 45. the only difference is the type of socks i wear. my brother in law & brother both have pretty gnarly cuts and tears in their mucks and the boot is still water proof and as warm as day one. very durable boot.

12. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As you can see there is a trend happening here and I'll continue that. LACROSSE. Got Alpha Burly ' s this summer and have worn them all season and love em

13. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    LaCrosse Aeroheads are awesome. They are a hybrid style rubber/neoprene boot. Had mine for 2 years and I wear them nearly every time I go outdoors hunting, scouting, checking trail cameras, shed hunting. Crossing streams and long walks don't seem to bother them. Im sure they will hold up for years to come.

14. Mleland

Mleland Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you get sweaty in them? I am thinking these are the boots for me but wanna make sure if I am investing...

15. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Lacrosse Areoheads are a great boot. If you set on getting another pair of rubber boots, they are they way to go.

16. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rubber boots with removable felt liners. This way you can pull out and replace or wash them. As good of quality as many neoprene boots are, the neoprene is very porous and is a huge scent magnet. I'm sure all of us have smelled sweaty neoprene waders before.