Mathews NoCam HTR-my take and setup

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Trevor Olson, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Well I was patiently awaiting what Mathews had in store for 2015 in the SoloCam lineup and then they shocked me...No Cam. Lets be honest, there are cams of course or it would be considered a recurve. In the compound world, relatively speaking, the more round the cam the easier the draw cycle typically is. The Mathews No Cam HTR is no exception. I had mine on order for awhile now and was pleased to get it right away. Here is my setup and thoughts...

Right out of the box, the bow looks appealing to the eye no doubt. Taking a closer look I was taken away yet again at the attention to the details the Mathews team took, while sticking to their core gridlock riser. This bow has a little taller ATA than we are used to from a hunting bow, but IMO it holds better than any other solo cam bow I have shot. The draw cycle is smooth through 85% of it, then you reach the roll over where the cam transfers the draw weight to the limbs for the let off. If you take a closer look at the cams, you will notice the cams' center is offset giving you that let off. If you are wondering if you need to swap cams for draw lengths, no this bow uses mods and draw stops.

My setup:

Mathews NoCam HTR Lost Camo 28"draw, 70# (Im shooting it at 67#)
    Carbon Express Red 250's with black tube New Archery Products Quickfletch with White Quickspins (379.2 grains)
    New Archery Products Apache drop away rest
    HHA Sports Optimizer Lite Ultra
    New Archery Products Spitfire Edge 3 blade expandable broad heads.
    Pine Ridge Archery accessories and Sawtooth stabilizer

My thoughts:

It paper tuned perfectly after squaring up the rest on the bench. First shot bullet hole! I weighed my arrows and backed of the poundage on the bow a little and measured that as well. Went back into the side room and setup the chronograph 274fps.

My first shots into the target at 20 yards were not close to where I was aiming but I aimed at the same spot for all three arrows and all three were touching. I noticed with the sight on and observing the bubble level on the housing, the bow held very steady and level with my setup. I don't shoot side stabilizers, I have an everyday hunting setup, and this was a relief. I also had a few people shooting in the lanes with me who stated how quiet it was shooting and that they didn't notice any forward kick after the shot. They were spot on. This may be my quietest setup to date. I also want to state that I love the focus grip with the Mathews wood-like inlet. It's a nice touch.

Has anyone else had a chance to shoot the NoCam HTR yet? Give me your thoughts below in a comment!

_V5A8727.jpg _V5A8751.jpg _V5A8759.jpg _V5A8761.jpg _V5A8771.jpg _V5A8775.jpg _V5A8784.jpg _V5A8833.jpg

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How much weight do you have on that string? running the numbers and I am figuring way off.

3. Grube

Grube Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    they are a sweet bow i just shot one of my freinds yesterday and kinda thinking its the way to go for me too!!

4. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my take on it after shooting it this weekend

Nocam HTR

it's smooth but STIFF all the way through it holds it weight through what seems to be 2/3 of the cycle ...ouch, plotting it's draw force curve confirmed this. Solid back wall as expected with any bow with cable stops.

Not what I expected at all from a bow that is moderate in performance. Smooth is great ...a recurve is smooth too...but your holding a lot of way all the way through the cycle.

I can rattle off several cams systems that I think are smoother and have a much more comfortable cycle.

It's very dead in the hand, no vib or feed back...but with its weight why should we expect any?

WAY too top heavy and wants to fall forward big time,would need to back weight to prevent this with a sight and quiver...not happening with that mass weight.

The rubber bumpers on the cables are the biggest joke I seen lately on a 1k bow...the cables are slapping the cam/ mod ...and the bumpers are their solution.

Fit and finish( except for the rubber band aids ) were excellent, really top shelf.

Looks wise..uglier in person. Has zero appeal to me....

The feed back from the others (shop owner, and couple of our friends) were basically the same that it was nothing they were crazy for.

Honesty he( the owner ) was convinced that the Z2 was going to be a bigger seller for him. He had about 15 shooters for the HTR and only one order so far.

5. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Interested in the speed numbers that was posted on the OB comments. Looks like it's falling in line with the results in the video i pasted below.

I ran the IBO number through both my programs and per the specs the OB posted it should be near 290 if we are using the 330 IBO stated speed. However I am not sure the IBO speed is for 85% mods or 65% mods. I keep hearing an IBO of 320 for the 85% mods...which if so falls way more in line with the speed the OP stated.

As you see in the video they are getting IBO at 305, which is 15 off of the stated 320.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbwC51zVs3E

6. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I am shooting 67# with nothing more than a peep and d-loop on the string other than the weight and monkey tail that came on from factory.

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so about 20 grains, i pluged in 30 to be conservative.
    Thanks

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it's definitely running slow for that little weight. What percentage let off mods are on there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the review

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I could be wrong but I believe they ship with 85% from the factory.

Mine has the 85% mods on it. 28.5" draw, 70 lbs and shooting a 449 grain arrow I'm getting 269 through the chrono. My Chill with the same arrow is getting 280. This seems pretty accurate as the Chill was rated at 330 from the factory and I've put a set of 75% rock mods on it which upped the FPS a tad.

11. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it's hitting its speed just fine. What's the rated speed for the 85% mods

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    321 with the 85% mods

13. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Using the calculator and working back based on the specs it should ibo around 322 which would be pretty close to what I would expect from 65-85 percent mods

14. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    That's perfect

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Played with a different one last night. I tuned one for my buddy, we are getting about 6fps below IBO ( IBO 320 as listed at 85%) close enough. It tuned up easy with bare shafts, wasn't much I can do to get anything more out of her due to the lack of adjustability. That said I couldn't see why I needed to. Didn't shoot through paper either, no need to.
    Wasn't what I wanted to be doing last night but he hooks me up with fish all summer...

It's a easy shooting bow and will make a decent rig for some guys.

But Not for me at all though.

16. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I initially liked how it shot, and plan on switching over to one after the season. Which rock mods will help to hold steadier?

17. Iowah

Iowah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_2710.jpg Had mine for about 9 days now and I have been shooting it every night. I love this bow! This is extremely smooth and quite. Has a amazing draw to it! And accurte

18. Smjorg

Smjorg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews let down

The new mathews was a let down. didn't like it's slow.come on no cam. I own a few mathews bows. I'm done. I shot the new bowtech prodigy now that's a bow. Smooth fast quite and it's worth the money. Try the two side by side. And see how nice Mathews is.

19. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did the HTR all the way, 1st post is to bash? I was going with the Prime Rival until I shot the HTR. The HTR will be My main bow this year and My Prime Alloy will be My back up.

20. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot it yesterday but found it weird when I tried 2 different poundages, and the smoothness didn't translate. At 60, it was crazy smooth, like it didn't feel like 60. When I shot it at 70, it felt like I was a normal, rough 70. Dunno. It was quiet though. Reminded me of the Bowtech General.