Horrible experience with Shwacker

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by birdsfan82, Nov 11, 2014.

1. birdsfan82

birdsfan82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I am new to the forum but wanted to vent and to discuss my experiences since switching to Shwacker broadheads. I'd like to begin with saying I bought the new Diamond carbon cure which i absolutley love. I shoot at least once a week and my bow is accurate. 1-2 inch groups out to 50 yds. Now to the nightmare that began when switching to Shwacker. First case was an early season doe. Shot at 12 yds, slightly quartering away, shot placement was behind shoulder. Watched my arrow run away with deer, No Passthrough. Let the deer bed and didnt track blood for 2 hours. After I started tracking i bumped the doe over 150 yds from where i shot it. Total tracking ended up being over a mile and 5 hours. Found deer with single lung hit. Second instance was also a doe shot at 31 yds. Again quartering away. Shot placement back slightly. Again No passthrough. Recovered deer after 80 yds. Heart shot. Now to the Worst part. This past monday a large. Very large buck 10 point very heavy mass and wide spread ive never seen in my stand comes in and gives me a 35 yd shot completly broadside. After releasing my arrow i saw a good hit again watched my arrow run away with deer again. Backed out and didnt track till next day. Found a large puddle of bright red oxygen rich blood. After 20 yds found my broken arrow maybe only 5 inches of penetration. no more blood. after spending 8 hours today grid searching the area never found the buck or anymore blood. Key part of all these stories NO PASSTHROUGH. Going back to Muzzy.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What setup are you shooting? draw weight, draw length, arrow spine and total arrow weight?

I don't care for mechs at all to start with. Probably should have made a switch after the first poor performance issue if what you had been using before (muzzy) was working for you.

3. birdsfan82

birdsfan82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Diamond Carbon Cure 70 lb draw weight and 29 1/2 draw length. Shooting Beman carbons and using 100 grain Shwacker

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot them, but I've personally seen the devastation schwackers can inflict.

I don't know what to tell you dude. With that set up you should be getting pass throughs with shards of coke bottles duck taped to the end of your arrows. I go so far as to say that if I ever gut shoot a deer, I hope I am shooting a schwacker. Yes, that's a very backhanded compliment but I do mean it.

I've tracked a lot of deer over the years shot by schwackers. They just plain leave a hole. Unfortunately the kind of guy that usually shoots them tends to be the least accurate guy in our deer camp; but I don't know if that's the chicken or the egg.

5. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    all I have to say is RAMCATS!

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You lost me when you said you shoot 1-2" groups out to 50 yards...

7. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may want to check the tuning of your arrows. You should be blowing through deer at twelve yard with that set up unless your arrows are coming out side-ways.

8. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never not had a pass through with a Swhacker broadhead. Shot a buck 2 years ago, I was trying to find my arrow on the ground after the shot, took me a while to realize it was sticking in the tree trunk that was behind the deer. 29.5" Gold Tip Hunter XT out of a Mathews Reezen with 65lb draw.

9. birdsfan82

birdsfan82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Finnshady ill look it to the arrow tuning. I have never paper tuned my bow so that's my next step. There is no place local to me that will actually spend the time to help me fine tune my bow. I shoot regularly and the bow is extremely accurate. Is it possible to shoot accurate but have bad arrow flight?

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry you lost such a nice buck! If Muzzy broadheads work well for you, then go with them.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  11. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know your final arrow weight? It may be that a heavier arrow would be more beneficial with a mechanical broad head.

12. birdsfan82

birdsfan82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i actually do not know my final arrow weight. i shoot Beman ics hunter shafts. 8.4 gpi at 29 1/4" length. Nocturnal nocks and nap quick spin blazer fletchings. not certain how much weight to account for with insert, nock and fletchings.

13. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Everything seems about right with your setup. You have to hunt with something you are comfortable and confident in and if the Swhackers not doing it for you it might be time to try something else.

Just one more thing, try to visit the archery shops during the off season and they should be more than happy to spend some time with you to tune your bow.

14. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly.

15. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly you just didn't put the arrow where it needed to be or your bow isn't properly tuned. Any broadhead will kill a deer if put where it needs to be put.

16. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And on the doe at 12 and 31, a quartering shot right behind the shoulder will most likely end up being single lung. Need to aim back a little. That's not the broadheads fault, poor shot placement on your end. And if the deer was heart shot and ran 80 yards why are you complaining? That's fine. A lack of penetration is most likely a tuning issue. So out of 3 named events it appears only 1 is the fault of the broadhead. And until you recover that deer you can't definitively say it wasn't you and was the broadhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Swhacker 100gr. 2" outta my Hoyt Faktor and have pass through on all 3 deer this year. One was a 39 yards. I shoot 65lb. 28.5"DL. I shoot the 125gr. 2.25" outta my PSE Revenge. Get pass throughs all the time with it. I've killed LOTS of deer with Swhackers and never had one issue. Not sure what to tell ya.

18. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't that the 400 spine arrow? If so, and your shooting 70lbs. You need to go to the 340 spine. I shoot the ICS Hunter Pro 340's and they are 8.8gpi. I think the Regular ICS hunter 340 spine are 9.3 GPI.

19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I can believe it. I can and do shoot that. Not all the time, but on a good day. Rarely much more than 2. I shoot a dozen at 50 and I'd be POd to have a group of anything bigger than 3".

20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    You are correct, Sir. Just went down to the basement to check.