Thoughts on my new setup?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by FlatDogZm, Oct 22, 2014.

1. FlatDogZm

FlatDogZm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I'm in some need of advice!

I'm getting a complete new bow set up and would like to hear what you all have to think.
    My previous Martin has seen its days!

I'm 6'3" with a 32 inch draw length (abnormally long arms). So my options for bows are somewhat limited considering I require a longer draw length that most models offer and I'm getting it in South Africa.

I'm going in to test a range of bows but this is what the pro store has recommended so far.

Hoyt Faktor 34 Long Draw in 70-80#
    Trophy Taker XFC Full Containment Rest
    NAP Apache 8" Stabaliser
    Truglo Brite-Site XTM 5 Pin
    Scott Caliper release
    Beman Porkchop 340 arrows

I'll shoot a 450 grain arrow.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this equipment - past experience, issues, customer support etc ?
    The reason I shoot 80 is because I can and I'm comfortable with doing so as well as that I'm hunting African plains game on our farm in Zambia so I need speed and power.

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The faktors are great bows, I'm shooting a turbo. But at that weight and length I would not be shooting 340 spine arrows, if be looking at 300 or 250 spine arrows. I'd switch the rest for the smackdown pro (limb driven version) and that's about it otherwise great at up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great setup to me! As long as it works for you, that's all that matters. I've heard a lot about the Faktor's, pretty cool that you could get one to fit your needs. Great setup man!:tu:

4. FlatDogZm

FlatDogZm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, I should be picking it up on my way back home in November. Looking forward to harvesting my first ever animal with a bow! Will let you know how it goes!

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO (you asked) the .340s are way to weak for 80# with such a long draw. AND 450 grain arrow is way to light. At 80# I would use .300 minimum maybe .250 and look for at least 600 grains (especially African game). I would look for at least 8ggp. FWIW I shoot 584 gr at 70#.

6. FlatDogZm

FlatDogZm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man. I was looking to go for a lighter arrow because an impala's string jump is lightning quick so I was opting for more speed over hitting power there. But from what I've been told from some hunters down here is that i should be generating more than enough speed with a heavier arrow because of that draw length! Thanks for the input bud.