Sawyers Insect Repellent- Odorless Permethrin

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Cody_MidMO, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Cody_MidMO

Cody_MidMO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For those who care...I give the above product 5 stars! Allow me to elaborate...

It's early September and I purchased a new ladder stand and wanted to get it in a tree pronto. Now I have dealt with deer ticks, and the ever annoying seed ticks...but neither could compare to the horror I was about to come face to face with . Nymph Deer ticks.....for those who were blissfully unaware of this devilish fiends existence as I was..let me give a short lesson. Deer ticks...and Prolly other ticks...have a 3 season life cycle. The first season they are in the larvae stage where they will primarily feed on rodents, and are hardly visible to the eye. The second year they enter the Nymph stage. During this stage they are about a third, or less, of the size of a seed tick...yes...that's SMALL. They pose a danger because at this stage they have usually been exposed to and are a carrier of Lyme disease, and there small size makes them hard to detect, creating higher chances of spreading the disease to human hosts.

Now I go out and scout around....hang my stand...I'm in the woods for 3 hours Prolly and come back with about 50 of these spawns of Satan attached to me. Now after there removal comes the fun part...cause if you thought poison ivy itches...HA...you haven't even scratched yet! Bent on finding a solution to this curse I went to Google and someone on a forum...an Angel in my eyes....recommended Sawyer's. I treated my boots, socks, pants, and the bottom half of a shirt with the product. Fast forward...

Today I went hunting, and did some stalking/further scouting. At one point I brushed my hand against my pants and looked at it in horror when I saw 20+ of the microscopic devils crawling on my hand. I was certain my pants were covered...and my private areas soon would be too . So I walked back to the house cursing Sawyer's all the way.

When I arrive I take off every stitch of clothing on the back porch and begin the search for certain Lyme disease doom. Only to my surprise....nothing. Not one...not one Damn tick! This can't be...I wake up the other half and make her put on a head lamp and do a thorough search head to toe....nothing. Not one of the certain hundreds that were on my clothing either lived or felt compelled to hang around. I'm itching out of habit and irrational fear and paranoia..but no ticks.

My hats off to Sawyer's...and I give it 5 stars!

P.S.- it is advertised as odorless once dry, and I can attest that my human nose could not detect any change in odor in the fabric. Also I got mine at Wal-Mart in the camping gear section for $10. For gear only, not skin. Lasts over a month supposedly...we shall see

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. Cody_MidMO

Cody_MidMO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    P.S.S.- This success was coupled with pants duct taped to my boots and shirt firmly tucked in to my pants. Forget these steps and your experience may vary slightly.

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great stuff!

4. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use it and swear by it!

6. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had been having good luck with it till the past two weekends hanging stands. But, it may not be the product's fault. I soaked through my clothes with sweat to the point that I had water in the bottom of my boots. I had great luck just walking in checking cameras and things like that. I think the severe sweating broke it down.