Do Muzzys still shift bad?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by FosterEDC, Sep 1, 2014.

1. FosterEDC

FosterEDC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I havent shot muzzys since i first started bow hunting. Ive been out of the game for a long time and the last time i used broadheads were NAP blood runners. I never even got to hunt with them. They never made it out of practice without breaking or chipping horribly. Im thinking of going back to muzzys but i remember how bad POI was off from fieldpoints. I hate practicing with field points to the pint im confident and then having to completely change my sights for my broadheads. The things i like about the muzzys are the price point and availability. I can go to walmart to pick a set up. But if im gonna be constantly tweaking my sights im not sure they will be worth it. Ive also heard that they group poorly past 40yrds. Ideally id like my shot to be in the 20yd range but i hunt field corners where the shots can be a bit out there. Just curious about all this and if anyone can give me somefirst hand knowledge. If i dont go muzzy i may just go with slick tricks. Who knows.

2. wack-a-doo

wack-a-doo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just switched to muzzy 3 blade last year after some not so great luck with mechanicals. I will say that mine do not shoot the same as field points after 25 yards my muzzys drop off quite a bit lower than field points. At 30 yards field point vs muzzy is about a 3-4 inch height difference at 40 yards 6 inch difference left to right dead on, they just drop off quicker. I bought a couple of the muzzy practice heads and they shoot just like the real broad head. I have had this happen with Rage when I shot them at 30 they started dropping off quite a bit faster than field points my advice is to always practice with whatever broad heads you get before season at each yardage to make sure you are sighted in with them.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If the POI is off from your FPs to your BHs, try and broadhead tune your bow. Most of the time this will bring their POIs together. Many shoot muzzys and other fixed heads without any issues. I'll be shooting my NAP Hellrazors tomorrow to double check that my bow is still BH tuned.

4. FosterEDC

FosterEDC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info guys. Im definitely decided on fixed blades just for piece of mind. Now to decide if i want to go back to muzzy or try somthin new. So many choices. Lol

5. FosterEDC

FosterEDC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz how do you like the hellrazors? I think id rather have a solid ferrul in the front as opposed to a blade front. Mostly for breaking through bone and hard ribs. Had any issue with shoulder shots with hell razors? I like the looks of those or monotechs.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the Hellrazors. I'll be taking them elk hunting with me in two weeks. Last year is the first year I shot them. I shot my doe entering at the last rib and exiting through the opposite shoulder, then buried in the ground... gotta love a 530 gr setup :tu:

7. bplayer405

bplayer405 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy 125s are what I checked my broadhead tune with. They fly perfect with field points for me, even at 60yds. I'm wanting to try some Ramcats myself.

8. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love muzzys. I had my bow tuned to my field tips and threw on my muzzys and the hit exactly the same out to 40. This isn't always the case for me. Sometimes it takes a little adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fre

9. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the design of the Muzzys but have never had good luck with their durability. Maybe it's just me. Idk. Flight issues. Bent blades when they shouldn't have bent like just blowing through a rib cage. I switched to Slick Tricks and all those issues went away.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

10. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What do you guys mean when you say BH tune your bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. BlueSpruceOutfitters

BlueSpruceOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BH tuning you bow is essentially tuning your bow so that field points and your broadheads are hitting the same spot. It involves shooting both and making small rest and sight adjustments until they're hitting each other

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

12. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tune your bow first to get the broadhead to be coming out of your bow as straight as possible first. There are all kinds of posts on here about tuning, paper tuning, walk back tuning, rest adjustment tuning, etc..

13. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you get a fixed blade to fly exactly like a field point out to 40?

14. northern rednek

northern rednek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine do. I should step back and see how far they will. The way it's shooting I think I'd be ok at 60 or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Fre

15. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I shoot fixed blade I shoot the Muzzy Mx3 and mine out my PSE Revenge fly great. Even at 40 yards. The Muzzy Trocar fly well too. I also have some Magnus Stinger 4 blade and they fly nice too!

16. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. If properly tuned and good form broad heads will hit very close. If you have problems and don't like expandables try a different broad head that has good reviews like a Slick Trick or QAD Exodus.

I shoot expandables most of the time but broad head tune using a QAD Exodus to be sure its good to go.

17. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want muzzy go with the trocars. They fly amazing and not a bit of difference with FP and BH

18. T FERG

T FERG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    slick tricks

19. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had good luck with Muzzy inside 30yd but, only one bow I've had has been able to be spot on out to 50 with them. That was my Prime. I tried with my new Pearson and put hours into trying to get them to fly right a distance shooting but, no luck. Best results was about 4" off without messing up field point flight.

I have tried moving the rest slightly to bring the Muzzys back in line and it usually messes up the flight of my field points. I still don't know why other than maybe torquing the grip slightly. NAP Thunder heads I can have dead on with my FPs then screw on a Muzzy to the same arrow and be off.

The MX 3 hasn't been as bad as the 4.

20. sevignyjoe

sevignyjoe Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yea guys u deffinently need to broad head tune . my muzzy 4 blade 100 grains fly the same all the way back to 60yrds. Its easy just shoot at 20 yrds 1 field point , mark where it hits try with broad head and move your rest in very small incriments to follow the field point . if broad heads hits right of the field point move rest minute amount to the left and repeat until they hit in the same spot .