MSR pocket rocket Vs Jet Boil

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by randyf, Jul 20, 2014.

1. randyf

randyf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Getting ready to buy either a Pocket Rocket or Jet Boil, just wondering if anyone here has any good advise. The MSR is cheaper and I was told it did the same as a jet boil. Can anyone give me any advise that might help me make up my mind.

2. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the Jet Boil has been on my list of "to buys" thats for sure! Thing looks sick and does the trick. I like that it has the attachment to boil/cook already in a mug form and locks in and can also buy many other attachments for all different kinds of cooking. Pretty cool useful tool IMO The pocket rocket seems like it would suffice though for a far cheaper pricer. Guess its preference and what your willing to spend

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are cooking for one get the jet boil. Otherwise get the pocket rocket.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  5. jimmy102

jimmy102 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple Jetboils and love them. Whenever I hit the woods for a couple days I always have one in my pack.

6. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are trying to stay as light/compact as possible I would definitely go with the msr.

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the pocket rocket... But only because I've had it since before Jetboils were even invented and I have no reason to upgrade now.

Jetboils definitely boil faster if you are just heating water for coffee oatmeal and mtn house meals... But only by 1-2 minutes. Certainly not a deal breaker for me. As mentioned above I also prefer the MSR for use with bigger pots/pans vs the jetboil.

If it ain't broke don't fix it... The MSR weighs 3 oz and works perfectly fine for 1/3 the cost of a jetboil. But Jetboils are much faster, insulated already, and the new popular brand (ie resale value if that's important to you).

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz I'd probably save your money on that stove... It's a novel idea but would take forever to cook with, be a PITA in wet conditions when dry twigs are few and far between, and would be very inefficient at charging your phone. An external battery can be bought for $30-50 that weighs mere ounces and can charge an iphone 3-6 times before it dies. Plenty for a 1-2 week trip.

9. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Jet boil, have had it for several years, and like it a lot. I use it quite often in late and early BP seaon, when hunting in my blind on the field edge. I use it to boil water for dehydrated food (actually quite good), and I have the french press attachment which makes a darn fine pot of coffee. I've also used it on several power outages and it's been real handy.

V

10. wrkdvr

wrkdvr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have both, and I agree with the majority...my vote is for the Jetboil. Even though it might be a 1-2 minute faster...it is.

11. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the jet boil, and love the thing. Camping, duck hunting. Or at camp. It's fast, light, and just to easy. I'm in Afghanistan and all my battles with they had one for all the noodles and what not. Even made chicken in it a couple of times. Jet boil web sight has a bunch of sweet easy to make resipies.

12. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 jet boils and have never tried the pocket rocket...but I do know that the jet boil is awesome and has served me well over the years...except you cant get jetboil fuel in afghanistan....and you cant ship it...stupid

13. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I came over with 5 of the medium size fuel cans and I should last. But it does suck they won't ship it.