Single pin sights

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by longbowmanjimmy, May 21, 2014.

1. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot multi pin sights since I started, but I always wished I had a single pin. I finally switched over and I'll never go back to multi pin, WOW these sights are amazing! I've never been able to shoot like this while in stand. Not bashing on multi pin sights, its just a hell of alot nicer for me. For whatever reason, my arrow point of impact is almost the exact same out to 30 yards, so I don't have to change anything. Anyone else have similar results? -jimmy

2. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same result here. Which site did you switch to? I have an hha on 1 and a Montana BG on my other. They're great and same here never go back.

3. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Each sight has it purpose. If you're hunting out west a multipin is the ticket. If you're not going to shoot over 30 yards a single pin is a no brainer. I've shot both but the important thing is to know how to use either. Whether it's gapping pins or being able to adjust your slider you just have to be comfortable at doing it correctly.

4. chadrap

chadrap Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Or leave it at 20 yds and do all your ranging with an anchor sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. NJGobbler

NJGobbler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went to a single pin HHA sight for 2 seasons, then ended up going to a copper john mark II static single pin and stick with 0-30yds.

6. longbowmanjimmy

Dislikes Received:
    yupp I agree, most of my shots are in 25 yards but theres a slider bar on the side to quick adjust the range- I got it used from the TAZ bowshop in woodstock they didn't charge me much for it at all but I have no idea who makes it haha. Ive bought all the other stuff from them so thats probably why they hooked it up cheap

7. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    60X is right on target. (Pun intended) I have used both but you better be alert on all your surroundings. I had a good size doe at 50 yards and my daughter had a doe at 40yards her doe was walking toward her. Mine was looking for food and standing. I set my single pin for 50yards. she was waiting for the doe to turn for a clear shot. I guess I was excited for her (because this would have been her first deer) Well I took my eyes off my doe and was watching her draw back and getting ready. When I took quick glance to see my doe was gone. 5 maybe 10 seconds later my doe was standing 20 feet to my right. Yep I turned and shot its too bad I had it set for 50 yards. I shot her high and was disgusted at myself. Not saying this would happen to anyone else. But its easy to forget where your pins at. I have a single pin and a multi pin not against either.

Hutch

8. NJGobbler

NJGobbler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't hurt having the slider capability for sure. It's all about what you are comfortable with. The sliders always got in the way of a close mount for my quiver. Only thing that I did not like about them. Other than that, they were spot-on.

9. n432cal

n432cal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Trophy Ridge Drive is awesome. The single pins seem to let in more light anyway.

10. beaubowhunter

beaubowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I "moved up" so to speak in my tournament setup and put the Axcel Achieve CXL with their X-41 scope on and I will never shoot a tournament with a multipin sight again. I love the adjustability and accuracy this sight gives me. Coupled with my Doc's Choice Lens by Clear Targets, I feel that it is a very deadly combination. Good shooting!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402897635.199378.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402897739.028127.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402897853.060865.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402898005.847596.jpg

www.axcelsights.com
    www.clear-targets.com

11. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:

Everything is subjective and what feels better for the hunter, but would you recommend this for a newbie? I've been trying to find threads on sights and can't seem to find one. Is the multipin easier to get started/get used to? (I'm hear in New England if that makes a difference)

12. diesel305

diesel305 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Id perfer multi pin for hunting. if I was a competition archer id use single pin but only for competition.

~Mathews Helim~

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  13. tomekkplk

tomekkplk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    deleted

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  14. longbowmanjimmy

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah my sight is a 1st gen HHA. Multi pins sound great on paper but in those 8 seconds of mayhem when you meep a deer in his tracks to stop it, **** trying to aim a "fork" of pins at him. For me, a hunter and not a target guy, I will never go back to multi pin. Cool to see all the input!

15. longbowmanjimmy

Dislikes Received:
    Multi pins are definetly cheaper! haha go used too if your just starting and on a budget, you'll save alotta money! And most bow gear will hold up for a real long time, all my stuff is used basically, besides arrows and broad heads.

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Say you meep a deer at 30 yards and it spooks and runs to 40 yards - You need to let down and reset the single pin to have a shot.

17. longbowmanjimmy

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rather go into the woods knowing that I can make the most ethical shot possible on a deer. I'm man enough to admit I've lost a few deer in my life, and thats a few too many already- and I always knew the multi pins were the main reason. So, I vowed to do everything in my power to make sure my shots on deer are as flawless as possible and not past 30 yards, and that single pin has helped a hell of a lot, you can really aim small with it. Haven't lost one yet.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  18. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How many pins were you using?

A 3 pin sight should not be cluttered at all... Now when we get into the 5, 7, and 9 pins - That's when things get messy.

To each his own. I have seriously been contemplating changing to a single pin, I just need to do some more research. Have any information that would help me make the switch?

19. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. I shoot a vital gear 1 pin slider.

I feel that anything over 30, I should have time to adjust the pin or I am rushing it.

20. optimizedbowtech360

optimizedbowtech360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shoot a HHA optimizer .10 with the 2in house. it opens up your sight pitcure so much. i will never go back