baselayers - merino wool vs polartec fleece

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by okie_flinger, May 15, 2014.

1. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the market for new base layers. obviously, merino wool (heavy weight - I'm tired of being cold!) is a great choice but what about polartec fleece vs wool?

anyone have any experience using polartec fleece vs wool base layers?

this is an example of the polartec fleece I would be interested in. it really doesn't say anything about 'weight' - i.e. heavyweight vs lightweight (thick vs thin).

Marmot Thermo 1/2-Zip Fleece Top - Men's | Backcountry.com

I know if I go with the wool it will be the 220 (heavy) weight...

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been a fan of fleece's ability to be light and warm....but I've given thought and may end up purchasing one of those sleek battery operated under garments that warm up to a set temp....make it nice and toasty for those late season hunting trips.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No comparison. Merino all the way for base layers. In fact I am at point were I don't put anything else against my skin.
    It's warmer per weight vs fleece, wicks much better, regulates temp better and more odor resistant.
    I have several weight sets for different activitys. You will find that with merino the weight is more indicative of activity vs outside temp.

One thing to look out for is quality of the garment is dependent of the quality of the wool ( source, length of fibers ect )
    Stick to top brands like First Lite, Icebreaker, Ibex, smart wool, minus 33 , Sitka, and Kuiu

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have some smart wool garments that I love and will probably get more in the future.

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Merino wool is by far superior. It insulates better when wet and it has natural scent "eliminating" characteristics. Synthetics (not fleece) have better wicking properties. So with that said I would recommend a light synthetic base layer (like Under Armour) and then a heavier merino wool layer.

6. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the input guys. I've kinda narrowed it down to icebreaker merino wool 260 midweights, which is the heaviest icebreaker makes and seems to be pretty standard for the heaviest across manufacturers.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Excellent choice!!
    I have had couple icebreaker pieces, and while they are pricey they are top quality. Excellent Design, performance and well crafted. One thing I noted is for the two mid layers I had, the legacy and Sierra both ran a little small. Expect an athletic fit.

8. okie_flinger

Dislikes Received:
    don't you want them to be form fitting? but thanks for the warning...

the model I'm looking at is the Apex:

Apex Leggings w Fly - Icebreaker (US)

9. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am making the change to merino bottoms this year as well. I have been wearing the same pair of orginal UA coldgear bottoms for 10 years. Have used them for everything, baseball in Feb/March, fishing and hunting in the fall/winter. They really shine when you are active. They do wick well but really keep heat in while moving without having to really bundle up.

When sitting in a stand they are great for the walk in and for the extra layer and form fitting they offer. I dont have any complaints at all about them, they have and will continue to serve me well. But i really think the merino will be warmer while sitting and mot as active. Im hoping to get a mid weight merino and continue using fleece layer and outer layer when it gets cold.

Im hoping Camofire puts up those Kryptek Merino bottoms they had a while back. They were just under $40 if i recall.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could anyone list some Merino products they use for specific activities? I don't want to buy a top/bottom and have it be too warm for 50, 60, 70 degree early season temps... Vice versa, don't want to buy a top/bottom and have it be too cold for 20, 30, 40 degree weather for late season.

Or what 2 sets would work best for these temps, etc.

11. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just skip it all and go with the Pategonia Capilenes. best base layer i have ever worn. Great under waders too!!