comparing bows I'm interested in (obsession vs Mathews vs prime vs elite)

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by EliteGame530, Apr 27, 2014.

1. EliteGame530

EliteGame530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the market for a new bow here soon around summer time. I have narrowed my interest to the offerings of 4 bow companies I really like. 1 - obsession 2 - Mathews 3- Elite 4- Prime.

My nearest pro shop stocks all of the above except obsession. I haven't found a dealer close to me yet but I'm still looking. I'm gonna be shooting the Mathews,Elite and prime there soon with videos to upload of my shooting.

Right now I have a G5 Quest Rouge. Here are the specs and details...

FLUID CAM The Fluid Cam features a rotating module that allows you to switch the draw length without a bow press and with only one module. The design behind the Fluid Cam was to create a smooth and consistent draw cycle so hunters can enjoy shooting their hunting setup year round.

FORGED MACHINED 6061 ALUMINUM RISERS Accuracy starts with a stable platform and a forged CNC machined riser is the first step to the perfect bow. All Quest bows feature a forged 6061 aluminum riser, creating one of the most durable and accurate risers on the market.

PIVOTING LIMB POCKETS CNC-machined limb pockets that pivot to create a stable and consistent platform.

ADJUSTABLE STRING STOP The adjustable string suppression system from Quest reduces string noise and vibration for superior, silent performance in all bowhunting conditions.

DURAFUSE FINISH Our patented process provides extreme durability and incredible image quality throughout every inch of your Quest bow.

BCY 452X STRINGS AND CABLES This high-performing material creates a string that has no stretch or creep while producing one of the most reliable strings in the industry.

Speed: 312 FPS
    Weight: 4.2
    LBS Brace Height: 7 1/2"
    Axle to Axle: 31"
    Draw Length: 26" - 30.5" (Half Inch Increments)
    Pounds: 50, 60, 70
    Standard Finishes Realtree AP Jet Black
    Custom GFade™ Finish Options G-Fade Realtree AP

Rogue$399.99 - $529.99

Tree-stands aren't always the most accomodating spaces, so having a bow that's slightly smaller and lighter can work to your advantage. Enter the Quest Rogue. The combination of the new Fluid Cam, parallel cam design, and longer brace height makes this bow extremely forgiving and smooth shot after shot. The fact that you're only at 31" axle to axle means you do more in more places.

FeaturesFLUID CAM
    FORGED MACHINED 6061 ALUMINUM RISER
    DURAFUSE FINISH
    STRING SUPPRESSOR

Details

FLUID CAM The Fluid Cam features a rotating module that allows you to switch the draw length without a bow press and with only one module. The design behind the Fluid Cam was to create a smooth and consistent draw cycle so hunters can enjoy shooting their hunting setup year round.

FORGED MACHINED 6061 ALUMINUM RISERS Accuracy starts with a stable platform and a forged CNC machined riser is the first step to the perfect bow. All Quest bows feature a forged 6061 aluminum riser, creating one of the most durable and accurate risers on the market.

PIVOTING LIMB POCKETS CNC-machined limb pockets that pivot to create a stable and consistent platform.

ADJUSTABLE STRING STOP The adjustable string suppression system from Quest reduces string noise and vibration for superior, silent performance in all bowhunting conditions.

DURAFUSE FINISH Our patented process provides extreme durability and incredible image quality throughout every inch of your Quest bow.

BCY 452X STRINGS AND CABLES This high-performing material creates a string that has no stretch or creep while producing one of the most reliable strings in the industry.

so this is the bow I have now. And these are the specs to compare to the other bows I'm interested in. I'm hoping people who know more about the specs than I do can give me advice or opinions on the bow I have now vs the bows I'm interested in.

Bows Considering...

Obsession- Evolution, Sniper LT, Phoenix
    Mathews- ChillR, Creed xs
    Prime- Prime alloy
    Elite- energy 32
    (Will be editing to upload specs on this page)

2. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've spent the last couple of weeks shooting as many bows as I could and I've shot the ones you've listed except the Obsession models. The Mathews, Prime, and Elite were all very close in my opinion all very smooth with very little hand shock and all very quiet. I picked up an Elite Energy 35 55-65lb. It just felt the most comfortable to me and had a little longer valley than the others and a solid back wall. I also really liked the handle although I see that some people don't care for it much. The one and only thing I don't like about the Elite is it's a bit heavy at 4.5 lbs. I just got done sighting in and was smacking arrows at 30 yards. I may even have to turn it down it was blowing through my brand new Rhinehart bag target. I'm extremely impressed with this bow but like I said the Mathews and Prime were very close I would have been happy with any of them I'm sure but the Elite just seemed right to me. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your reply and experience/opinion. That's exactly what I'm looking for from people who own these bows and have shot them at least.

One of the things im looking to do is cut back on weight. My G5 Rouge is around 6 lbs fully loaded with a quiver full of arrows. I do A LOT of hiking and carrying my bow on my pack l, so weight is really important to me.

I forgot to post this is in my original post. What I'm looking for in a bow now are like I stated... very light weight (around 6lbs now), a compact bow (at 31 now, would like to shave a few inches) A smooth draw, solid valley and back wall. I shoot 65lbs DW now and I feel like I could be getting more speed for my buck. I also feel like the Rouge wants to jump out in front sometimes which I don't really like and the let down is very jumpy.

I've only been shooting a bow for less than 6 months, the Rouge is my first bow. But I already see if I had a better bow I could be shooting a lot better.

4. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own and shoot a creed xs and obsession evolution. my creed xs is the baddest hunting rig ive owned so compact and lightweight and quiet and it shoots like a larger ata bow theres no shock or vibes what so ever and is so stable in the hand the draw is so smooth with a rock solid back wall it doesnt budge a bit and its so easy to tune and deadly accurate i love it for tight spots or alot of cover .The obsession evolution is a bad bow to its smooth to draw not as smooth as the xs but its nice and is very stable in the hand theres a little vibe and wants to dip foward after the shot no biggie though the grip is kinda slim like the hoyts which i dont care for. But its quiet and very fast it pushes the heaviest arrows with speed i really like it alot the evo is my speed and messing around with bow i might use it for 3d. The xs is my hunting rig . But what you want and are describing i would really consider checking out the creed xs its awesome .

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That new Obsession is a sweet bow, so it the Elite E32. For me, I like the Elite's much better than the Prime. That is just me though. I like the Original Chill and Creed too. My favorite Mathews is the Helim by far, love that bow.

6. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to think about, your saying your current bow is really jumpy...That's normally a sign that your draw length is way to long or your shooting more poundage than you can really handle...Just because you can pull it back doesn't mean it's what you really need...

7. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you live your Creed xs lol.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with those 2 bows.

I am really torn between these 2 bows (creed xs, evo)
    Really anxious to go check them both out. Now you've got me reallyb excited to see if all the hype is real.

I can shoot the creed xs in town but the only obsession dealer is almost 4 hours from me sd o I won't be able to make that trip for a couple of weeks.

8. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    I could be a shorter draw length than I a m shooting I guess. I was measured at Sportsmans warehouse when I bought the G5 rogue and that's the only place I've been measured. Definitely will get measured again at the pro shop I've been going to just to double check.

I'm shooting 65lbs and I don't have a problem holding for st least 1 minute or longer. Just when I relax my arm the bow may jump forward sometimes. But I may need to drop down some and check how that feels.

9. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like to long of a draw length... I glanced at your avatar picture, it's hard to see much but if that's you and your at full draw it looks really long cause it looks like your release hand is all the way behind your head... Don't take advice from many people at a box store cause sadly 99% of them don't know crap from what I've seen... One week they are working in the shoe section, the next they are an archery tech ... I don't put much faith in them when it comes to archery.

10. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not all box stores are the same.

11. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not all, but sadly way to many are...I've seen WAY to much bad advice come out of them. If your lucky enough to have a good tech consider yourself lucky cause most don't.

12. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes i do love my xs i think its the best bow ive ever shot in all my years of hunting. But when i saw the obsession evo and shot it at the show i had to get one thats a really sweet bow for the price i think that company will blow up we just started carrying them in the shop i work at and i cant wait to see what they produce next.

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sadly, not all "pro" shops are the same either.

I've seen alot of bad advice from them too.

Almost as bad as some of the internet advice I've seen.:eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

14. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to agree. If that's you in your avatar, I would say you could shorten your draw length. If you've been shooting that way for a while, it might take some time to get used to shorter DL, but your accuracy should improve and you should be much more comfortable

15. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would advise the op to stay with adjustable cam systems as he is new and he may want to change his draw length several times before settling on what fits him best.

As form gets better, draw length can make drastic changes.

And, not all bows measure the same even if they say they are 30", one may be up to 3/4" longer than the other.

16. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to really tell anything from the avatar pic for me. It gets too blurry when I blow it up on my phone but it appears the release is way too long and needs to be shortened or replaced.

It also appears to be a really high anchor. Both will make draw length look longer than it is.

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  18. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    Yep that's me! I do kind of feel, like my draw length is a little long. I wish my arm that held the bow was bent a little more at the elbow. I do feel like I'm fully extended.

The guy who measured me is definitely an avid archer. Saw him one day by coincidence at the archery range teaching some people from New Zealand. Not saying he is the best or know it all. Because I speculate some of the things he tells me already. But he should know how to measure for draw length hopefully.
    But I definitely will get measured when I go to the pro shop.

19. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    Does the creed xs or evolution have adjustable cams?

I'm eyeing the sniper by obsession also. It seems to measure up to the creed xs pretty well.

20. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good information. I was told my draw length is to long by an 'expert' (to be fair he shoot) but my chest is large and my arms short, so I have to compensate. I am not experiencing a jump in my bow (pse surge) at 60# and my mind is a little set at ease. (sorry to minijack the thread).